Coopers Community

Steeping grains?

I have been doing a bit of reading from peoples personal experience what do you guys do when it comes to steeping crystal malt what is the best method and for how long should I steep I was going to do it tonight just off the boile for 30 mins but turns out one of my APA cans doesn't have yeast so I have held off for the moment till Customer service get back to me

Firstly, how much are you steeping?

I usually just grab a small pot, add a litre of water and heat the water on the stove to about 70C, turn off the flame/element then dump the crystal in, stir it around a bit and put the lid on and forget about it for 30 mins. I usually leave the pot where it is so it can get a bit of heat from the stove; it does hang around a bit even after turning off the gas flame.

After 30 mins I strain this into my boil pot, then heat another litre of water to around 70C and tip that over the grains in the strainer (into the pot also) to get the last bit of sugars out. It's probably not necessary but I like to anyway. Then off you go with your normal boil procedure.

Cheers,

Kelsey

I usually just grab a small pot, add a litre of water and heat the water on the stove to about 70C, turn off the flame/element then dump the crystal in, stir it around a bit and put the lid on and forget about it for 30 mins. I usually leave the pot where it is so it can get a bit of heat from the stove; it does hang around a bit even after turning off the gas flame.

After 30 mins I strain this into my boil pot, then heat another litre of water to around 70C and tip that over the grains in the strainer (into the pot also) to get the last bit of sugars out. It's probably not necessary but I like to anyway. Then off you go with your normal boil procedure.

Cheers,

Kelsey

+1 except last time I tipped the grains from the strainer into the original pot and rinsed then strained again.

tell the missus she be the next masterchef if she gets a meat thermometer , raid a neighbours for a meat thermometer if you cant get anything else.... or they are $15 or something at BigW.. I use a small digital one from Jaycar (works for my fridge too) for about $17 bucks...

Just dont let it boil!!

Its not really that important, another way is to start in cold water and have the stove on really low, and just turn it off before it looks anywhere near simmering, give it a few stirs pop a lid on for another 15mins and all will be fine. its really that easy.

Might give that a go Gavin i didn't intend on boiling it was going to boil the water then take it off the heat then add them like i seen some guy on youtube do see if i have the spare funds for a thermometer

That's all I did when I steeped 200g of grain for my stout that I'm about to bottle. Hydrometer samples taste ok :P

I guess it doesn't NEED to be accurate.. it's not like we're doing all grain. But apparently if the water is too hot it can extract tannins from the grains which you don't want. They may not be noticeable in a stout but lighter ales possibly. I don't know, I've never steeped in water hotter than 70C[lol]

Yeah I was reading if it is too hot you can get tannins read that on a few web pages im thinking maybe when i do it the first time bring the water to a boil then let it sit for 5 mins then add the grains a thermometer would be of an advantage must talk to SWMBO and get her convinced that I really need one lol

Maintaining a specific temperature isn't that important. If you only need a thermometer for steeping grains, and funds are tight, then I wouldn't bother buying one.

I have used the method of boiling the water, taking it off the boil and then adding the grains. I didn't notice any astringency from this method.

But an easy method is to boil three quarters of the water and then add the last quarter as cold tap water.

Then once you have steeped and removed the grains, boil the liquid for 15 minutes.

You can even steep grains in cold water overnight. I haven't tried it though.

I reckon you could even use hot water from the tap and put it on the stove for 5 minutes then add the grains. I must try that next time, just to see how close it gets.. I usually find when I heat the water on the stove that when it gets to around the temp I want (70C), the bubbles get to around 5mm big before they rise to the surface. I already had a thermometer so I didn't have to go buying one, but if you don't have one then any of these methods would work fine.

I've not tried steeping in cold water overnight either, the last batch I made I did my usual method but left it a lot longer than half an hour; I think the grains soaked up half the water.[annoyed] [lol]

It turned out awesome it almost tastes just like little creatures pale ale I used 1kg of LDM 30g cascade for 15 mins and then 5 g cascade for the last 5 mins (Boiled) it was really good after 2 weeks in the fermenter and 2 weeks in the bottle I have on 24 stubbies left of it was a tasty drop thats for sure will be making it again might be a regular about to do a toucan pale ale with cascade and amarillo maybe some chinhook as well but yeah the pale ale kit is my favourite

I reckon you could even use hot water from the tap and put it on the stove for 5 minutes then add the grains.

I wouldn't use hot water. Ever tasted it ? It comes from a tank that has built up with shite over time.

Unless of course you have an instantanious.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Yep, this is a good method.

Archived