Coopers Community

Too many hops?

GrahamB8

Some would say that 'too many hops' cannot be done but I think I did it.

I have just finished fermenting an AIPA and afraid to say I think I have overdone it. The sad thing about it is that I dry hopped just before I took a grav reading and sampled the beer in the tube so I have probably made things worse.

The taste is great, I smiled, and then the bitterness hit me, like letting a asprin disolve in the back of my throat, this effect lasted a good minute and that was from half a mouthfull from the tube.

I love DIPA's and due to some spare hops I thought I would try to push it, I pushed to far and the hops pushed back, with a tank!

I have read bitterness will mellow after time, just how much I dont know.

For those who want to know what my over the top is (Yob will probably laugh at my puny hop bill):

50g POR @ 60

72g Cascade @ 20

50g Cascade @ 10/5/fo

50g Columbus in starter

I have added an additional 50g Cascade dry [pinched]

(I then cubed which probably made things worse)

Thought I would share my currently un-successfull experiment with you with you all.

Agreed... leave it for a while and it will be lovely.

There is a guy at AHB who just finished brewing a beer that he hopped with 1.5kg hops. So I really can't see how this recipe won't improve with age.

Disagree with several points here... 50g POR is waaaay too much, what was the hopping time scedule? (as in times you added) those hops and ammounts seem out of whack to me..

@ Bill.. sure fingers whacked a kilo of hops at a beer but he is a furkk nuts..

G. Download brewmate and it will help with an ag brew much the same as ianh's spreadsheet does with kits but also has a no chill adjustment function which adds 20 mins to any hop addition and will aid you in working out your correct target IBU.. Personally with No chill Ive knocked back my bittering additions to 35 mins now... as time and brews go on you will work out what works for you best[cool]

put it this way, these days I work out how many IBU's I want and then aim for 30% MAX of that as a bittering addition, the rest I get from late hop dditions from 20 mins down to whirlpool..

so.. if i want 60 IBU I aim for 20 (approx) IBU with a bittering (No chill adjusted) which often works out to be 10-15g @ 35-40 mins and then get the rest from 20 mins down.. sure, I still end up with using 100-140g of hops but I feel the bittering is much more ballenced with flavour and aroma.

Sorry, Ive been trying to respond to this for days, Im in NZ snowboarding and the hotel Interweb is shite.. I actually just gave them $6 to do this..[lol]

Ive more to say but am running out of time...

Yob

Sorry' date=' Ive been trying to respond to this for days, Im in NZ snowboarding and the hotel Interweb is shite.. [/quote']

Sure mate; you just wanted to brag. I don't blame you. [biggrin]

20 IBUs out of 60 IBUs is 33.33% which exceeds 30% max. But you did say 'approx' so I will let that one pass.

Sorry Yob, I'm just in one of those moods.

Yes Yob has made a valid point. Sorry I didn't pick up on it.... 50g POR is over the top. I should have seen that [pouty]

+1 for BrewMate it is what I use. It is free (donations accepted) and very user friendly.

If you have kegged this one you can always blend it. If not then oh well, just have to age it a bit longer than usual.

50g POR is waaaay too much,

Yob

I agree with all your points Yob but was secretly hoping for the 'she'll be right in 3 months mate' answers.

This was not a failure to create a recipe, this was a 'I have a sht load of hops to hand lets see what an over the top tastes like.'

I will bottle this entire batch and see how she goes over time, I reckon theres enough preservatives in there to keep it from spoiling for a decent term

let it sit' date=' some of my worst experiments have turned into some of my worst brews[biggrin']

[lol]

I had a Pilsner last year that I did a few things wrong on, given it was my first lager, and sure enough it was pretty average in the bottle, but I drank them all anyway. I must have misplaced one though because I found it 3 months later, drank it and it was awesome![biggrin]

When I brewed my American style IPA,I used a pre bittered OS lager can with plain light DME. But going from scratch,use no more than about .5 ounce of POR for bittering @ 60 minutes. I used 4.5 ounces of 3 different hops for flavoring startinf @ 25 minutes.

EEvery 8 mins & 30 seconds. Then dry hopped 1 week with the remaining .5 ounce of each for 1.5ozs total. ^ ounces of hops for the batch,which is moderate for AIPA's. Mine came out with not too much bittering,but a good amount of hop flavor & aroma. That's basically how we do IPA's up here.

[alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien]

[alien] [pinched] What's an ounce? [pinched] [alien]

[alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien] [alien]

Archived