Coopers Community

IPA Partial... What to hop it with?

PhilboBaggins

Okay, doing an IPA partial mash tomorrow, and here's what I've got so far for a 23L batch.

1 x Cooper IPA can

500g DME

1kg Maris Otter

250g Wheat Malt

200g Dark Crystal

I'm happy with the grains, but I'm a bit stumped about what hops to use. Here's what's in the freezer:

10g Nelson

90g Galaxy (never used before)

50g East Kent Goldings

I was just gonna use a bit of the galaxy in the boil and dry hop with 10g each of NS and Galaxy.

Is there anyone out there who would suggest the English hops instead?

I'm sure whatever I do will be nice, but interested to hear how others would use the stock on hand.

Cheers [happy]

I am interested to hear what works Philbo, as a partial IPA is something I will be working on once I get back from holidays [w00t]

I was planning a shiteload of galaxy for bitterness (I've got 90g flowers and 90g pellets) and for aroma - I've tried the Bridge Road Brewers Galaxy single hop IPA and the taste doesn't do too much for me - the aroma though [love]

I guess it depends if you're planning for an English IPA - then the EKG's would be the way to go I guess?[unsure]

Will keep you in the loop Adam. I reckon I'll probably go with the Galaxy and NS and keep the EKGs for my next English Bitter/Porter. I've thought about making an EIPA with the Coopers can before, but I reckon I'd need way too much EKG to get it to shine through the flavour/aroma of the kit.

Evening[biggrin]

Is there anyone out there who would suggest the English hops instead?

I'm game enough. I think the EKG would go nicely with this. It looks to be more like an English style IPA and the EKG would suit.

But saying that, the Nelson & Galaxy should be fine too. Just depends on what you are after.

I have just bottled a partial IPA. I went with:

1.7kg Coopers IPA

2.3kg BB Ale Malt

200g Torrified Wheat

200g Victory Malt

100g Pale Crystal

Mashed @ 65 degrees

The hops were Moteuka and the schedule (from memory) was:

10g @ 30 minutes

15g @ 20 minutes

15g @ 10 minutes

20g dry hopped

Tasted very nice out of the FV so I am looking forward to it once it has conditioned.

Yeah I am getting there. I will slowly upgrade equipment over time.

At the moment I am limited in boil size to what I can boil on the stove. My next one will be AG; it will be a higher gravity boil and I will dilute it in the fermenter. I will probably get around 18 litres depending on my efficiency.

Then I will get a burner, a bigger pot and go down the no chill route.

Thanks guys!

Speaking of equipment (maybe should start another thread) I have noticed that Woolies have 55L Willow Eskys half price this week.

Would this be too big for a mash tun for a regular sized batch of AG? I think I've read somewhere that too much head room can be bad for efficiency?

Keen to hear from the AGers so I can snap one up for later on when I start really hitting it! [love] [love]

Cheers!

Phil - I would think this would be fine. However, I do admit I BIAB in an urn. Therefore, I don't need a mash tun or have I ever researched them. Someone with more experience should be able to provide you with a more positive answer.

Thanks Bill. I'm doing BIAB at the moment as well, but I like the idea of trying different methods later on in the piece, and when these eskys showed up at $39.00 I thought, why the hell not? I've got a mate who can make me a nice manifold for bugger all, and the rest of the fittings should be cheap enough.

Back on track though, my IPA smells killer![love] [love] [love]

I decided to go all Galaxy, as I've never tried it before. Lost a fair bit of heat from the mash due to too much head space in the pot, but all will be well.

Speaking of equipment (maybe should start another thread) I have noticed that Woolies have 55L Willow Eskys half price this week.

Would this be too big for a mash tun for a regular sized batch of AG? I think I've read somewhere that too much head room can be bad for efficiency?

You should be OK if you insulate it. I have read that some people place a peice of thick camping mat on the mash. This could be an option if you find the head space is too large.

Archived