Coopers Community

Added boiled hops to Fermenter

RobertB20

im looking for opinions- i had brewed a batch of real ale with brewers sugar and it had been fermenting for about 4 days. I then, based on advice from my Brew store, i boiled up about 50grams of nelson sauvin hop pellets for 10 minutes and added this to the fermenter. im trying to get the intense hoppy flavour and aroma i had when dinking an Epic breweries pale ale recently. its smells great, just wanted opinions on how well this will work, kinds dry hopping but with boiled hop matter.

I would have just dry hopped In a reusable bag or tied up in a chux wipe, ive only just started using the chux wipe option recently & works well.

Not sure about boilling some hops a few days into brewing then adding them in.

This should still work well some people use this method. Did u strain into FV? All it would really do is slightly dilute the total ABV but not enough to worry i have done this before.

Now i just either dry hop or put more into initial boil or both. But whatever works for you i dont mind the occasional hop floaties not that i get many. I go comando whole way boiled hops are not strained and dry hopping just chuck them in. I understand it causes trouble for kegging i only bottle no worries as long as beer is settled before bottoling.

Cheers mate hope helps and all works out

50g of Nelson Sauvin [w00t] that's gonna make your eyes pop if you're not used to it.

NS is one of those hops you need to respect. Too much and you'll certainly know about it. Anyhow, you may like it.

Let us know how it turns out.

50g of Nelson Sauvin [w00t] that's gonna make your eyes pop if you're not used to it.

As always Bill a fine way with words, and I had to [lol] . I do concur my Real Fat Yak (Real Ale kit) has 25g of Nelson at similar boil times and my eyes tended to pop early, but know at 5 months my eyes staying more intact [roll]. When I put 25g (8mins) in my Lager kit it was [love] . Anyway Robert I wouldn\u2019t worry too much if your eyes pop early, give it some time at it will turn out great.

ha sounds like just what i was after. i bottled it last night and had a taste, aroma was awesome!! and taste was great, strong! cant wait for it to condition. i didnt strain the hop, just put it all in! anyway its looking good.

I add boiled hops all the time to my fermenter I found that dry hopping only really gives you aroma and slightest taste where as boiling say 30g for 15 mins and then 5 g at 5mins makes and awesome brew I use way more than that these days every brew i do now has to have hops boiled in it otherwise the kits seem a bit boring to me hops are awesome with the kits makes them 10fold better :)

I think he was talking about adding the boiled hops in the same way a dry hop, i.e. after a few days of fermentation as opposed to mixing it up in the fermenter with all the rest of the ingredients at the start. Personally I haven't tried doing that before, only dry hopped or boiled some and added with ingredients but I might do an experiment on one of my future brews.

Cheers,

Kelsey

• 3 weeks later...

I have a kit I want to add hops to, I was advised to do it the tea bag method, but whats the difference between this method and adding the hops later on in the fermentation process. It worries me removing the lid at day three and adding hops pellets (i'm sure it's fine) any help with the variation and process would be awesome. Thanks[biggrin]

Archived