Coopers Community

Over 100 batches and counting.....

GordF

Started my first Cooper batch 30 Oct, 1987 and logged over 100 batches since. I like to add some homegrown hops to add to the bitterness and aroma. My only suggetion for improvemnt would be to tag a spot of glue to the yeast as I have bought several kits in the last year with missing yeast. Love the final product but seldom get to drink much of it as my kids are now realizing the great taste of "Dad's Brew".

I tend to 'brew it as I need it; about a batch every couple of months. The un-named hop vine was a Father's Day gift from my kids about 12 years ago. I add it to the wort about a week before bottling to add the 'hoppy nose'. My wife adds it to the turkey stuffing. I'm an I.P.A. fan myself.....

IPA is awesome! I put one down on Sunday! Have a hop plant in the fridge I cant wait til the frosts are gone so I can get it going. Im thinking of hopping up an unreal ale to make an aus version IPA. Have you ever tried something like that?

TBH 100 batches in 25 years really isn't a lot (only 4 a year on average). However, I take my hat off to you for such a vast timeframe of brewing. I am sure you have seen and experienced all the changes during this time.

Well done for sticking at it for so long. I remember back in '86 a friend of mine was into home brew and it tasted like crap back then. Albeit, we drank it anyway [bandit]

TBH 100 batches in 25 years really isn't a lot (only 4 a year on average). However, I take my hat off to you for such a vast timeframe of brewing. I am sure you have seen and experienced all the changes during this time.

True but like you said, he would have seen a lot of different methods and a lot of different products come in and fade away.

I think my first brew was in 1989. And truly not much has changed... besides the availability of hops and malt (and I'm not sure what was available back then because I just used the supermarket, had no LHBS). My first fermenter was nearly exactly the same as a couple I have now, besides the new design coopers one of course. Except back then was just sugar and not the BE1 and BE2. The Biggest change has been the internet I suppose, joining brewers and ideas together. Although the vast amounts of differing opinions and recipes can be daunting at times [biggrin]

I think my first brew was in 1989. And truly not much has changed

Someone PLEASE tell me if im wrong but...the only thing from my research that has seemed to have changed in the last 20 years is...Maltodextrin?? and Dextrose...instead of sucrose?

I think my first brew was in 1989. And truly not much has changed

Someone PLEASE tell me if im wrong but...the only thing from my research that has seemed to have changed in the last 20 years is...Maltodextrin?? and Dextrose...instead of sucrose?

The availability of hops has certainly changed....and I guess the availability of quality brewing ingredients in general.

Yes, I've tried many different brands over the years (most of which have passed on) but since Cooper's became available up here I have pretty much stayed with it. For the winter brews I double up on the malt extract to add some body and flavour. I feel the addition of any 'sugars' will only increase the alcohol content and do little or nothing for the taste, aroma and body. Mind you, I do use dextrose in my summer pale ales. In regards to using hops in the turkey stuffing - it adds some bitterness and a lot of aroma but I can't say there is much of a change to the taste. CHEERS!

I'm def finding that malt makes for a far better beer having said that I did just ard a full 500g of dex to my porter, but I also used a kg of dark dry malt, so it's something like 1.25kg of malt to help balance it out :) I hope!

Agree re: Malt.

On my last 2 batches I did the rookie home brewer thought of "I want higher alcohol, let's add more Dex". The result was a very watery, but potent, beer. Still tasted OK, but not particularly satisfying.

Archived