Coopers Community

Bulk Priming Paranoia

PhilboBaggins

Hey everyone.

Have bulk primed my last few brews and have begun to sample them. Probably sunk about ten of them all up, and all have been perfectly carbonated (I don't like my beer too gassy) apart from the one I just opened. This one probably had MORE fizz than I used to get with the carbonation drops or the scoop, it was pretty bad. [sad]

I used the tap to tap method (with 140g Dex dissolved in 250ml water in first), letting it dribble out slowly until the tap was covered and then full whack. Went beautifully. I even jiggled it a little while I was carrying the secondary to the bottling area.

Is it common just to get the odd over-carbed beer? Am I being a bit hasty jumping on the forum straight away and losing my s**t about this? Should I be stirring gently as well?

Any comments would be most appreciated.

I use the tap to tap method and swear by it. The swirling action should mix you sugar solution into the beer nicely but you can gently rock your fermentor if you want to make sure it is all mixed through.

Quite possibly the bottle that was overcarbed may not have been perfectly clean and this could result in excess carbonation from a mild infection (not sure if the that is the scientific way to decribe it [biggrin] ). If it is a mild infection it may even taste ok except for the fizziness.

Have just opened my second beer for the day, first one was awesome, second went every bloody where. I realise that infection could explain this, but in 8 years of brewing with drops and the scoop, I've never had this happen before. Only since I started bulk priming. I'll stick with it, but I reckon I'll start either doing the coil at the bottom thing or stirring with a sanitised spoon.

Glad it's not summer or they'd be exploding by now I reckon. [crying]

Hope it hasn't put you off bulk priming. I'd try the coiled hose method next time, I'm not sure of the tap to tap method... there's certain aspects of it that worry me a little, I haven't tried it but some obvious concerns there. Though others seem happy with it, but to me if you have to lightly shake or swirl the fermenter then its not a good method.

Don't worry Gav, it hasn't put me off at all. I can't stand high carb levels in my beer, and bulk priming seems to be the only feasible way to achieve this. I just wish I'd waited to try my first bulk primed batch (not just one or two stubbies) before I did the next four using the same method! I'll give it a shot with the coil next time, and if I still have trouble I may have to resort to the spoon.

Cheers for responding everyone.

see, what is weird I use around 170-200grams of dextrose in about 22-23 Litres of beer which is a lot more then you used. Although I'm not sure on how much beer you added it too. I never have had a over carbonated beer. Mine are stored at 20c in my brew fridge for around two weeks at the most though. then usually moved to a fridge or a cupboard. Good Luck!! Cheerzzz [happy]

see, what is weird I use around 170-200grams of dextrose in about 22-23 Litres of beer which is a lot more then you used.

I know dude, I brew a lot of English Bitters and darker beers and I find they benefit from lower carb levels. The thing is, 95% of the beers I'm drinking are perfect for me. No bubble trails up the glass, no care needed to avoid a MASSIVE bubbly head (gross, imho) on pouring, just a layer of creamy goodness! What is sh**ing me is that it's only been a couple, and the rest are beautiful.

On a brighter note, did my first all-grain mini mash this morning[love]

Ive never had a bottle explode period.. Id be looking not toward the Bulk priming method and toward cleaning/sanitation. Sorry but it has to be something other or ALL of the bottles would exibit the same result.

For the record. The coil method while OK introduces more risk than the tap to tap for 2 reasons.

1. More hose in contact with the beer with surface contamination from the hose being a possible path..

2. The top of the FV is likely exposed to get the hose in and it is opening a path to infection from airborn contamination.

Tap to tap is a much cleaner way to transfer. Making sure that the tap is clean prior to transfer of course.. it's a good idea to spray starsan into the closed tap after you take a sample for example.. The top of the racking vessel is only open for long enough to empty the excess starsan and to put the priming liquid in and is then fully sealed until I want to clean it.

Id just like to say again... Ive never had a bottle explode from either drops or bulk priming. The only bottles that have exploded in my garage were not brewed by me. [lol]

Yob

I understand what you're saying completely Yob, however, if your solution wasn't mixed thoroughly through the batch, would that not mean that some would be over carbed and some under? After all these years I just find it hard to believe that this problem would just surface now.

BTW, I still haven't had one explode. I just wouldn't be surprised if I do soon.

I've just started bulk priming. I have had even carbonation across the 8 or so stouts that I've sampled so far.

my reason for posting is that from my pov, from my understanding of the importance of sanitation and my understanding of physics, tap to tap must be the best way to bulk prime.

theres no right or wrong method its what ever works for the individual, as in most things with brewing. My hose sits in the fermenter in the sanitising solution while the fermenter is sanitising. the fermenter lid sits over it while filling , takes no time at all. I think the tap to tap method would have a major advantage if you were to purge the receiving fermenter with CO2 especially if doing it for secondary fermentation. but just for bulk priming immediately, not going to make much difference except for the natural mixing action of the coil. each to their I guess! [roll]

Thanks everyone for the responses. I hope I don't seem ungrateful for the advice, I guess I just don't like the idea that I may have to reassess my sanitation methods after not having this problem before [sad] and it seems like a pretty big frickin coinky dink that it's only been on bulk primed batches after several hundred successful bottle primed ones!

I'll keep trying and see what works for me. Cheers again wonderful people![biggrin] [happy] [lol] [biggrin] [happy] [lol]

Archived