Coopers Community

NewB Question 1st Batch

MikeB16

Hi,

Recently purchased the Coopers DIY kit and brewed the Lager included in the kit. Before starting I sanitized everything with

Star San. Kept the beer at proper temperature for 1 week, then bottled. Kept in bottle for 2 weeks. OG was 1033, FG was 1012.

The beer tastes a little sour. Is this normal. Will time improve the taste?

Thanks,

Mike

Welcome Mike!

I did my first brew back in September and didn't sanitise (instructions said you just need to give the equipment a rinse first time), and didn't worry about maintaining temperature (just plonked it in the laundry and let it do its thing). Had similar OG/FG results to you and same time frames for fermenting and bottling.

I certainly didn't have any sourness, in fact quite the opposite, it was quite sweet. It became less sweet with time, but never sour per se.

In general time improves the taste whatever the brew, I've found.

What temp was the wort when you added the yeast? Sometimes if it's too high initially that can lead to some yeast shock. I remember with my first brew I had trouble getting the temp down to under 28 degrees because I used boiling water initially. I now make sure I have about 5 litres of chilled water to add after doing the mix.

Give it some time and see how it goes I guess, and maybe some others have advice?

at two weeks it would be barely carbonated... keep brewing and drink them in 6 weeks and there will be a dramatic change from what you currently perceive.

just to put it in context, all of my brews are aged to between 3 and 4 months before I drink them.

they dont usually see 5 months [lol]

Yob

It's fine if they have carbonated but just be aware that they wont condition like the others, you could save one for when the others are ready and compare..

This waiting game is why many eventually get into kegs.. me? I just brewed more till I had a supply that is big enough to allow them time to condition before I get to them.

only took me a few years [roll]

Yob

I just brewed more till I had a supply that is big enough to allow them time to condition before I get to them.

That's exactly what I'm doing for the same reason[lol]. I've almost filled up all my bottles. I can't be bothered mucking around with kegging, and it's not practical in my house anyway.

I have a nice little stockpile happening now i do sample newer batches but i leave them for atleast a month and a bit before i slowly start hoeing into them the longer they are conditioned the better they taste that is for sure and yeah i would be having kegs but i haven't got room for it so i make do with what i got [cool]

I'm stockpiling for summer.

Got about 20 (make that 19 after tonight) Strawberry Blondes left.

30 Unreal Ales conditioning in a cupboard.

Euro Lager fermenting nicely now (only 2 days so at least another 14-21 to go before bottling and then 3 months in the bottles).

Probably do a midstrength Cerveza for summer as well, a nice lawnmower/post-gardening drink.

Intending to have plenty of taste sessions with friends during the warmer months.

Not that I intend to stop brewing in that time ;-) But I may have to invest in a brew fridge by then. The ice/wet towels thing is fine at the moment while I only need to shave a few degrees off the air temp, but it'll be a bitch in summer. And I'm thinking a nice stout might be a good drink in winter...

Yeah i have similar issues with temp controll pain in ass water bucket with ice for summer but bottles condition nicely in shed. Then winter and controlling temp while brewing easier with heater pad and jacket but pain in ass to condition bottles as shed is like a fridge.

I havent brewed in a few weeks putting one down on friday hopefully by then ill be able to get a 5 setting electric blanket i seen on ebay. Ill leave beer in this for maby 3 weeks before putting in shed it will not condition the same there but ill make do until get something else going.

Archived