Coopers Community

hop gobbler

I read over on AHB that coopers have a new,kit called the hop gobbler which is an esb kit with some choc malt, fuggles and ekg (25g each) amd comes with instruction to ferment at 18-21'd

Well done coopers, a step in the right direction.

Of course, we have known and aevised these additions with some regularity for some time,but still, well done, its bound to help new brewers expand their comfort zone.

Yob

HOP GOBBLER LINKY

Hop Gobbler Recipe Pack

Ref: DBR205

AUD $55.00

CAUTION, Flavour Ahead!

When making small volume batches, an extra handful of this or a pocketful of that can transform a brew from \u2018just okay\u2019 to a sensational hit of aromas and flavours! In this recipe, we combine classic English Hops and specialty grains to supercharge the English Bitter kit, making 25 litres of intensely flavoured ale.

The DIY Hop Gobbler Recipe Pack includes all the ingredients required to make Hop Gobbler, plus a Khaki Frayed Cap and Coopers DIY Keyring!

\u2022English Bitter (1.7kg)

\u2022Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract (1.5kg)

\u2022Coopers Light Dry Malt (500g)

\u2022Choc Malt (300 grams)

\u2022Fuggles (25 grams)

\u2022Goldings (25 grams)

\u20221 x Coopers Khaki Frayed Cap

\u20221 x Coopers DIY Beer Keyring

All this for only $55 and FREE SHIPPING to anywhere in Australia!*

Hurry limited stock available!

Definately a step in the right direction but it is a little pricey however this is somewhat offset by the free delivery. It'd be nice to be cheaper without the useless filler (keyring and frayed cap).

Interestingly if you were to order just the keyring and cap you would be paying almost $50 with postage so if they float your boat it is a great deal [innocent]

Yes I don't get the adding the steeping grains to boiling water. weird, and I wont be doing it!. But my main disappoint with the recipe since the beer is described as hoppy, is that all the extra hops are dry hopped, isnt dry hopping just for aroma? I would of thought a 5-10 min boil would add hop flavour? My wife ordered the kit as a gift for me on Friday, and it turned up in Victoria Monday. but I'm debating how to do the hops... ideas? think a five min boil in the chocolate malt tea once strained might be the go??

this the instructions from the Coopers Web Site. Just seems wrong

Method

1. Crack the grain and stir into 2 litres of hot water on the boil.

2. Remove from the heat, let steep for about 30mins then sit in cold water to cool.

3. In a fermenting vessel dissolve the Light Dry Malt with 2 litres of water.

4. Add the strained, cooled Chocolate Malt liquid, the English Bitter beer kit and Amber Malt and mix thoroughly.

5. Top up to 25 litres with cool water, mix and add the yeast.

STEP 2: BREW

Try to ferment at 18C to 21C.

After a few days or fermentation, add the Fuggles and EKG hop pellets.

Fermentation has finished once the specific gravity is stable over 2 days.

There's a few things to factor in I reckon.

1. I'm sure that the recipes are aimed at making the brewing process as easy as possible and with as little equipment as possible. Trying to maintain 70 degrees can be a bit of a pain.

2. I'm sure the recipe has been tested, both by the creator of the recipe and a guinea pig, so it must work OK.

3. If you are experienced with grains and hop additions I'm sure Coopers won't mind if you apply your knowledge to the recipe [joyful]

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed the sale. I have a preoccupation with the English Bitter kit at the minute; after sampling my EB Porter at one month I decided to make another, albeit less potent. This recipe is very close to what I was aiming at so I will trip off to the LHBS for my 4th straight EB can and put this one down. My yeast will be third generation rinsed S04 yeast, I hope.

Hey Nelson' date=' which Porter recipe did you use? [/quote']

Hey Adam

Here it is:

21 litres

Coopers English Bitter

1 kg Light Dry Malt

300g Choc Malt (600)

250g Crystal Grain (120)

100g Roasted Barley

250g Dark Brown Sugar

14g S04 pitched at 21'C and fermented at 18'C

OG 1.052 FG 1.016.

Got the ingredients for Hop Gobbler today from LHBS, $38, planning on using Willamette instead of Fuggles with EKG. Will have to wait till Tuesday, due to my busy schedule, ESB will be 17 days in FV.

Archived