Coopers Community

Beer Temperature Issue

NeilE

Guys sorry to ask this but I am having problem getting my beer up to the right temp. Just checked my batch of pale ale and it is only at 12-14 C. I live in Melbourne so yeah it gets cold.

The fermenter is in the shed outside with a sleeping bag and blanket around it. Inside is not an option unfortunately.

Is there anything else which works good for outdoors?

Will it matter if the temp is low?

Maybe I just have to brew in summer only?

Thanks

That temperature is too low. The ale yeast won't work and there won't be enough of the lager yeast. I'd go down to the local brew shop and pick up a packet of lager yeast and pitch that in. You won't end up with quite the beer you planned, but it should ferment out fine and still taste good.

After that I'd say if you can keep your fermenter running at around that temperature it would be perfect for making a few batches of Lager.

Alternately, you may be able to put a heating pad under it, but I have no experience there.

How long has it been at that temp and is it fermenting?

Are the temps you stated ambient or the brew?

Have you got power to the shed? You can buy heat belts

At those temps have a think about brewing lagers mate

Buy a heat belt. I recently bought 2 off E-bay for $26 each, my LHBS sells them for nearly twice that. I run mine on a timer for 5 hours a night but it's a bit warmer in adelaide and my fermenters are in fridges to insulate a bit. just keep an eye on it.

brew lagers with lager yeast... or ales with lager yeast... whatever.. just find a Yeast that works at those temps or build something to fix it, like a couple of those biggish styro box's and a heat pad/belt/light bulb pot/etc..

Yob

[rightful]

in my (albeit limited) experience, all beer suffers from changing temperatures. if u can keep a wort at 12-14 degrees, go all out on hoppy lagers. it's a good thing - you'll get some great results with minimal expenseS

some of us live in Canberra with ridiculously changeable temperatures and don't have the luxury of relatively stable temps!

Archived