Coopers Community

Adding hops to Cerveza?

shannonc3

fellow beer lovers.

Just finished up a fantastic batch of mexican cerveza, and am itching to make another one. Friend at my brew-it-yourself store gave me some hops to throw in (spicy ones i do believe)

My question is, better to make hop tea and throw in at the start of the fermentation process or dry hop?

much thanks!

[happy]

Im using coopers BE2, along with the coopers mexican cerveza canned concentrate.

the hops i have (excuse my lack of knowledge about these) were a freebie, they say on the packet:

FIRST GOLD

A.A 8.3 %

28g.

I believe he said they were 'spicy' hops.

First gold would mainly be used in english style ales and bitters (would probably be great in an english bitter kit), but aparently its a very versatile hop that can go in just about anything. 'A little like a Golding, spicy'

Not sure of the best way to use it, but i'd probably just make a hop tea and strain it in.

A lot of people would say to replace the BE2 with LDM and some dextrose, but everywhere I've looked sings its praises in the Mexican Cerveza kit.

Good luck with the brew, let me know how it ends up [happy]

I know nothing, and what I do actually know is all from these forums [biggrin]

I've never used those hops, so i've no idea how much to use, but using the whole 28g should be a good starting point(and Mr Brewshop probably gave you that size bag for a reason)

But don't take my word on that one, wait and see if anyone else has used First Gold before doing the irreversable.

I know that Wayne(Captain Yobbo) was planning on adding some hops to his Cerveza kit two weeks ago.

If he did, he will probably be bottling around now...

Maybe he'll be able to advise on it.[happy]

I haven't gotten around to making my mexican cerveza yet however i was intending on throwing some cascade in or ammarillo SWMBO isn't too keen oon hops so im leaving it for the moment if it was up to me i would add hops without thinking twice as they improve your beers 10 fold im still learning what kinds of hops to use in what styles etc but am getting the gist of it and using my own tastes to what i like [cool]

Toss it in the fermenter Shannon. This brewing game is all about experimentation. I have never heard of the hop before so not sure on what the beer will turn out like but I always use hops in my brews.

I quite often dry hop with more then 28g but am unsure on what the flavours it will bring. If the local home brew guy is good at what he does then surely it will be OK.

Also stick with the Brew Enhancer as this beer is supposed to be thinner then a regular ale (I think its supposed to meet a corona style beer). The dextrose in the brew enhancer will help this.

Just remember to keep your temperatures around 18 - 20C and all will be great.

Archived