Coopers Community

Newbie question

PhillipH3

Hi,

I have just received a new Coopers DIY kit. It states that it can make 23 litres of beer. But by the looks of the fermenter I am going to loose approximately 5 litres because of the location of the tap.

Is that supposed to be the case, or do I need to tilt the fermenter when bottling to get the last drops of liquid gold.

Thanks

Phil

Hey phil i actuially have the old style one where the tap is closer to bottom 2 and half litre mark. Id say its intended that you tilt it as long as beer remains undisturbed during brewing and everything remains compact on bottom tilt until all 30 bottles are full [happy] good luck mate welcome to forum

I have one of those DIY kits when im about to hit the level of the tap i stuff a phone book at the back and tilt it very carefully to ensure i don't rouse the trub up i sometimes get 30 740ml and sometimes a few stubbies as welli don't let any go to waste even if i get a bit of trub in the bottles it usually settles out anyhow

there are two tricks here that i've picked up on in the space of my 7 brews since Christmas.

- if you're prepared to go to the extra effort and expense and use up the extra space, get yourself a fridge and a temperature controller. one of the things that the more experienced brewers here do is "cold crash" there beer. that is, they wait the 2 weeks for their beer to ferment, and then lower the temp to 1 degree for 7 days. it'll clear your wort, and it'll also compact and settle the sediment in the bottom. this will allow you to tilt it without drawing up the sediment.

- in my first endeavour at bulk priming, i found that my hose was tight enough fitting that i could then use two hands to tilt the fermenter.

I do the same as wayne.

Stick a phone book or something similar under the far side, then tap away.

i generally only lose about 150ml out of the batch.

If some ends up in a bottle, it doesn't matter.

It seems to be unanimous Phil, don't waste any beer!!! [roll]

I have sometimes had a little bit of trub get into the bottle but it clears out usually.

I built a little stand to sit the fermenter on that sits at about 30 deg.. so if there is any disturbance when I lift it out of the fridge onto the Racking Level, by the time I rack/bottle most of the disturbed matter will have settled again. No need to touch it to tilt... not that it is an issue to do so... Im juust a lazy bugger and like to build little bits and pieces to help the processes.

[rightful]

I just hand tilt the fermentor towards the end of bottling to get all the liquid goodness out...easy[biggrin]

Yeah no need to stuff around with props. A hand is suffice [cool]

Archived