Coopers Community

Dead yeast ?

SteveD14

Woops... I have done a totally stupid thing.

bought a Coopers APA at local supermarket and noted the use by date on the can was Oct 2012 so thought I'd be

ok.

anyway didnt check the yeast pack and went ahead and did a brew including putting yeast into a starter of warm (Previously boiled) water and a little sugar.

Then (Stupid mistake number 2) put my kit and enhancer into the fermenter and topped up to 23L only to discover very limited activity with the yeast.

Checked the yeast packaging and it was dated 270910 so is pretty old.

Went ahed and pitched anyway since I dont have anything else on hand and its to late to get to a home brew shop.

I am worried that I wont get any fermentation acitivity.

If nothing has happened by tomorrow can I pitch a newer yeast pack bought from LHBS or am I stuffed ?

Bear in mind I will have to wait till Monday now so the wort will have been in the fermenter for about 36 hours !!!

Argh !!!!

How do you know nothing has happened?

Did you take another gravity reading?

I sometimes have a brew that you can not physically see any action after 72 hours and all is good.

Sit back and relax. Take a gravity reading and see if it has changed. If it hasn't changed after 72 hours then start thinking about alternatives.

I thought the Coopers yeast sachet were printed with a julien date' date=' e.g. 12312 being the 123rd day of 2012[/quote']

I thought the same thing. I was trying to work out the numbers but figured Steve must have already calculated the date for us.

yep based the date on the Julian , it was the 10 at the end that frightened me, by any standards thas at least 16 months old.

Anyways she started bubbling, albeit slightly, last night, and as of midday today had at last made a reasonable Krausen so i guess all is well. Will take a sg reading tomorrow but from the activity I now see I,m a lot more relaxed.

What do all the forums, books, sites etc etc say ?

patience, patience, patience .......

What a pity I dont have any !!!

PS just to re inforce the point, Im just tucking into some of my second brew also an APA which has only managed a bit over three weeks in the bottle and is in serious danger of not getting any further, bloody lovely stuff.

Methinks a second fermenter is the only way I'm going to get to really appreciate some decent ageing.

What , more dollars honey !! but it will save dough in the long term, really, honestly ...

cash out might be untraceable but I aint !!!

And that second white plastic barrel full of brown stuff might give the game away too.

I tried the "I saved a couple of hundred bucks by just spending ninety" but somehow it just doesnt sound the same coming from a guy.

However another APA has just slipped by so something must be done.

Its been my experience that 3 fv's is the magic number.. They dont have to ne expensive, get on down to running and get some cheap 30lt water containers.. They have a range of 30lt square ones now that look great as FV's.

Archived