Coopers Community

Flat Beer

BrettH8

Hi all, new to brewing and have only tried the lager. Everything went fine (except couldn't fully understand the reading on the hydrometer), but temps and all were fine. Put 2 carb drops in the bottles and kept away for 2 weeks. But pretty much over half the brew have been flat. Are you meant to tip the bottles upside down a couple of times before putting away in the cupboard for the suger to go throughout the brew? Or did I just not leave it for long enough? Will be trying the Real Ale next.

Cheers!

What temperature was your bottles sitting in?

There is no need to tip bottles when using the carb drops.

I would say to leave them for at least another week in 18C+ temp and they'll be right.

1. Go to shop and buy your last carton (make it a decent one).

2. Never leave a fermenter empty it has feelings you know ... put the Ale down now.

3. Stretch the store bought carton out a couple of weeks

4. Bottle ale (re-fill fermenter .. remember feelings)

5. Drink lager (dont worry the ale will be better [lol] )

6. Repeat the brew/bottle/drink steps (I find 120 bottles is a good number for rotation tell SWMBO shes lost a cupboard [biggrin] )

It's funny, I've always had mixed results with the drops too. I stopped using them for years because my beer was coming out a bit lifeless, but eventually got tired of how gassy they were with the sugar measure! Now that I've started using them again, I'm getting some great beers, but still some slow ones. I don't reckon temp is a problem as I kept them in the same conditions with measured sugar, but even at a month old some of them are slightly tame. No idea what goes on, but I can feel a bulk priming sermon in our future [rightful].

I also had mixed results with the Coopers drops the first brew I used them on, some bottles were hell gassy and filled half the glass with foam no matter how carefully I poured, others not so much. I bought a packet of another brand next time I went to my brew shop for supplies and used them ever since, so far they've all been pretty much the same regarding carbonation levels, and the head doesn't go out of control either [lol]

Cheers,

Kelsey

Thanks for all the info. The temps in the vessel were hovering between 22 and 26 for about 9 days. the temp in the shed where I stored my bottles in a cupboard might've got below 18 a couple of times but unsure. Will be storing the next batch in a different spot (indoors, in esky's at a good room temp) so will see if that makes a difference. Will let everyone know.

I find it amusing that people seem to have problems with the Carb drops. They are all made the same so I don't see how it makes any difference. nevertheless, I know a few people all say the some... i.e. sometimes they just don't seem to get the expected carb levels. Haing said that, I generally get about 6-8 bottles per brew and have never ever had a problem with drops whatsoever.

+1 for bulk priming.

If your bottles were stored in the shed then it is almost certain temps would have dropped under 18C unless you are in the tropics somewhere that is. No need to fret though, move these bottles to a consistant warm area and they will be fine. After they have carbed you can put them back in your shed if you wish, it is just the initial 2-3 weeks you need to keep them at or above 18C once they are bottled. I;d make it a regime to store them warm for 3 weeks when you bottle them then move them to where ever you wish afterward and Robert's your Mother's brother!

My computer/brew/weapons room is almost always at 18/19C. (I think my bigass gaming desktop regulates the room temperature, but thats another story)

I had the same problem with most of my bottles getting carbonated properly, but others remaining quite flat. All with the same drops (1.5 drops per 500ml bottle)

I eventually figured out that it was the ones near the wall were staying flat(ish). I suppose the wall beams out cold while the other bottles were shielded.

I dunno how you store your bottles, or if this is at all relevant, but if your crates are stacked against a wall maybe try moving them out a bit or putting some insulation board between the bottles and the wall/floor.

Thanks' date=' also, what's the best cleaner/sanitizer to use when cleaning all equipment (vessel/bottles etc)?[/quote']

I just use a no name Napisan to clean and Starsan to sanitise. Very cheap ass me.

My computer/brew/weapons room is almost always at 18/19C. (I think my bigass gaming desktop regulates the room temperature, but thats another story)

I had the same problem with most of my bottles getting carbonated properly, but others remaining quite flat. All with the same drops (1.5 drops per 500ml bottle)

I eventually figured out that it was the ones near the wall were staying flat(ish). I suppose the wall beams out cold while the other bottles were shielded.

I dunno how you store your bottles, or if this is at all relevant, but if your crates are stacked against a wall maybe try moving them out a bit or putting some insulation board between the bottles and the wall/floor.

That's an interesting concept I never thought of and could well be a possibility

yeah, i noticed it first with wine where the fermentation was over a few months.Noticed the inner ones were taking a few weeks longer with the same ingredients...

And, Check and mate on the cheap-ass scale...

I use boiling water for plastics and an oven for glass.

Been doing it that way for years and have still jams i jarred 2 years ago with no infections, just sweet fruity goodness...

yeah, i noticed it first with wine where the fermentation was over a few months.Noticed the inner ones were taking a few weeks longer with the same ingredients...

And, Check and mate on the cheap-ass scale...

I use boiling water for plastics and an oven for glass.

Been doing it that way for years and have still jams i jarred 2 years ago with no infections, just sweet fruity goodness...

For my jam jars I boil for nearly half hour then dry them in a hot oven. I still have about 12 jars of jam made in 2008 with no probs. [biggrin]

Archived