Coopers Community

Fruit Salad Ingredients Help

LordEoin

I ordered way too many bottles (forgot i had some upstairs) Oops!

So, I suppose I should fill them. [biggrin]

I want to get a brew on each week for the next few weeks, to overwhelm me into actually allowing some to age a bit before I get my dirty mitts on them...

I've been seeing a lot of people talk about the Fruit Salad recipe.

I need a bit of salad in my diet and it sounds tasty.

Found this recipe:

1.7 kg australian pale ale kit

1kg DME

25g cascade pellets

25g amarillo pellets

active coopers yeast culture

But I have a couple of concerns

1 - Hops

I found the hops (once they get back in stock)

Cascade Vacuum Packed Leaf Hops(youngs) 113gram - Link

Amarillo Hops 100 gram - Link

Will both of these be ok for use in a hop 'tea'? (when things start coming as vacuum packed leaves i feel like I've accidentally strayed out of the canned-food isle and into the organic section)

are pellets, caps, teabags and leaf interchangeable at the same quantities?

Do I need anything else, like bags and stuff?

2 - Yeast

The yeast adds the banana flavor, but I cannot get 'active coopers yeast culture'

They only stock Fermentis, brewferm, mauribrew, danstat, muntons, youngs yeasts

can anyone recommend a suitable yeast from this lot? Link

Otherwise, can someone recommend a similarly funky (but relatively simple) recipe they've tried?

You can use either pellets or leaves in the hop tea.

But you should add an extra 20% of weight for the leaves though (ie. 30g instead of 25g).

As for yeast, Fermentis US-05 or Danstar Nottingham are good choices.

Excellent. Thanks guys.

I hope they get the hops back in stock soon.

I'm going to have to buy me a little weighing scales...

I think my delivery man misses me. He probably sees me more than his mother and we've become friends [biggrin]

I have never seen 'Coopers Original Pale Ale' for sale in Ireland' date=' so that's out.[/quote']

I have no idea if Pettitts is anywhere near you as they sell it. However, without me having to search everywhere, you can also use the Sparkling Ale if you find that instead.

Wow, your google skills astound me[surprised

It's a 3hour drive each way, but maybe other Supervalus sell it, or i could convince SWMBO tha we need a weekend away in that particular part of the country [biggrin]

Although if they sell it, somebody's inporting it, and i'm bound to find it closer with a few phone calls...

Thanks for that!

3 hours is a long way to travel. Nevertheless, if you really need to go to that extreme then I'd be saving up to buy 5-6 cartons of both the Pale aAle and Sparkling.

There are also bonuses that come with using this yeast being:

1/ yeast for nothing and a great strain.

2/ the bottles are fantastic for home brew. Much stronger glass than usual.

3/ you still get to drink the beer [ninja]

I would also suggest learning about washing or rinsing the yeast so you can nearly have it at hand all the time which will save you the lengthy travel again for more.

Cheers

th_smiley-cheers.gif

it doesn't seem to be available, but they do have the US-05 Yeast, so I think that's the winner. [happy]

billk: yeah, it would be best to avoid the travel and hopefully I can find it closer, but drinking the rest of the bottles is appealing and i need a reason for a weekend away. I've driven further for less, but they generally had bewbs and skirts... [biggrin]

stupid work, but it' gotta be done.

ingredients don't pay for themselves.

And on that note, I suppose I should stop prematurely opening young lager and get some sleep. Can't be too dough-brained for work in the morning (although it helps)

Totally accidentally (or subliminally) found Coopers Original Pale Ale.

Looks like I'll be going down the fancy route after all.

That is,if I manage not to drink them all by the time the hops get back in stock...

The guide calls for the yeast from 4 bottles, or 6 if you want more yeast. Should I stick with the 4 or go for all 6 for a 23liter brew ?

Also, is the listed recipe the best, most polished, tastiest set of ingredients for this?

(ie 1.7 kg australian pale ale kit, 1kg DME, 25g cascade pellets, 25g amarillo pellets, active coopers yeast culture)

If they are only stubbies then probably best to do the lot, at first until you get to know what you are doing and how to step them up etc. If you have bottles then 3 will be enough. I only do 3 stubbies but I step it up afterward.

That recipe looks ok, pending on you hop times... you can always tweak it later if you wish.

Yes, they're 375ml (but long neck, not stubby) but as usual, one answer leads to another two questions, sorry...

'Stepping up' is basically repeating the steps, but treating the starter the way i treated the bottled beer and getting rid of thethinner fluid, attemptimg to make the yeast sediment layer thicker, right?

This is going to be my first proper play with hops, so the times are new to me too. what would you recommend?

As the hopslook like they're goingto take a while to get back in stock, I might aswell play with these bottles and practice reactivating the yeast and stepping it up. Gives me a reason to crack them open too :D

little bump...

what other yeast varieties have people used with this?

i'm going to make a variant of it using light liquid malt, and using some additional amarillo and cascade @ 10 mins.

but i'm not going to reculture yeast, i'm planning on using the US-05 that's in the fridge.

i presume this is going to work ok?

can't wait to try it - the previous APA kit i used with 500g LDM, and 750g BE2 with cascade hops steeped and dry hopped is really good. i'm looking forward to it with the additional malt and hops.

shoulda bought more APA tins at Big W [crying]

... i'm planning on using the US-05 that's in the fridge.

i presume this is going to work ok? {snip}

Hey Andy

That Cerveza for Smashing is taking some time [lol]

I used US05 with my FSA and it turned out OK. The only drama I had was that the Krausen never subsided, apparently sometimes US05 can do this. I should have waited longer before bottling, I scooped the foam off with a strainer. Any way I used US05 with my Mornington Pale Ale (Citra & Amarillo) and it is the bomb. So I am going to do another Mornington soon, hopefully wash the yeast and use it in another Fruit Salad Ale straight up[happy]

Hey Andy

That Cerveza for Smashing is taking some time [lol]

yeah, it's a lager, it sat at 12 for 16 days and is now cold conditioning...

on topic - are there any "australian style" ale yeasts without using a liquid yeast or reactivating coopers yeast?

but i'm not going to reculture yeast' date=' i'm planning on using the US-05 that's in the fridge. i presume this is going to work ok?[/quote']

US-05 will be fine and is suited to that style of beer. I have used it in the Fruit Salad Ale before and it turned out great.

are there any "australian style" ale yeasts without using a liquid yeast or reactivating coopers yeast?

Not that I'm aware of.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived