Coopers Community

Nottingham Ale yeast

TimA3

You get a % of mortality rate pitching dry, some reading suggests up to %50.

It's best practice in my opinion, to follow the manufacturers recommendations and rehydrate and proof, I especially like to add a few hundred ml of wort as they suggest too.

I always rehydrate, it's been a long time since I just sprinkled.

Yob

Tim, you can do either.

Yob is probably technically correct but in the end both methods work.

I generally rehydrate in water but I have also pitched dry plenty of times with no real noticeable difference.

Do whatever works for you.

You would need to do a side by side comparison with the same wort to truly notice the difference. Ester production, fusel alcohols, diacetyl from stressing the yeast are all factors and reasons why you should care for your yeast.

The important thing here is the first few seconds of Rehydration, this is when the cell wall is vulnerable and cannot self regulate what passes through, this is why it is recommended that rehydration is done in (sterile) water, the nutrient wrapped up with the yeast is what they need, not to be bombarded with complex sugars (in the early stages).

Ive actually just bought a metric shet load of yeast nutrient and plan on using it with EVERY BREW that I do to help ensure good Yeast Health and Vitality. (Ran out of Coopers Kit Yeast packets)

Yob

EDIT: Yes you can do either but if you want to make the BEST beer possible then you pay attention to all the finer details and really care for your Yeast.

I have also pitched dry plenty of times with no real noticeable difference

Yeah, wrong terminology. I should have said I didn't notice any adverse affects.

I actually agree with you Yob and it has been a long since I dry pitched.

I really just threw my comments out there to get a reaction; I knew you would come to the party. [biggrin]

Sucks to all you science and fancy words [biggrin] ....I'm yet to be convinced that rehydrating makes any noticeable difference. I've done many many tests and decided that more often than not I just can't be bothered to rehydrate and my beer has never suffered....in my opinion of course [cool]

I've done many many tests and decided that more often than not I just can't be bothered to rehydrate

Were you testing whether you could be bothered?

Rehydrating just gives me something to do when waiting for my wort to cool.

Although I personally rehydrate, I still stand by my comments that I've had no problems when sprinkling and the beer tasted fine.

The biggest, and in fact almost only, difference I've ever noticed is in lag time. . That alone makes it a worthy process for me..

Hoses for courses, I often say that my processes suit my brewery and what is right for me may not work for you (though should), I may well be a bit anal about my process, but I see that as being thorough.

As long as what you are doing works and you are happy with it, then it is the right process for you. I make no bones about this fact, personally I like the extra control and processes.

Yob

By reducing lag time also reduces the risk for infection or bacteria in your wort. I too used to be a sprinkler but have been rehydrating now for some time.

There is a great paragraph in the book I am currently reading where Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer explain pretty well why rehydrating is better than sprinkling. Unfortunately I can't quote it at the moment as I am at work and the book at home [annoyed] Nevertheless, I'll find it tonight.

There is a great paragraph in the book I am currently reading where Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer explain pretty well why rehydrating is better than sprinkling. Unfortunately I can't quote it at the moment as I am at work and the book at home [annoyed] Nevertheless, I'll find it tonight.

Spot on Mr Bill, Great Book aint it [lol]

If you are interested in Yeast Health I highly reccomend this book

The Yeast Book by Zainasheff and White

Not sure if it's the same one as Bill is referring to but is a great book. Though it must be said, I understood quite alot of it's content before I bought it, however, there is certainly some stuff in there that still goes over my head, I read that book once every few months. [rightful]

Yob

Yeah I have Yeast as well Yob and can highly recommend it. A great resource that book imo. However, the book I am reading at the moment is, believe it or not, is Brewing Classic Styles (BCS).

I am interested in the AG recipes in it but there is a little information in the front and back of the book which is interesting too. The passage I was referring to is on page 23....

Dry yeast is convenient because the packets provide a lot of viable yeast cells, they can be stored for extended periods of time, and they can be prepared quickly on brewing day. It is common to use 1 or 2 packets (5 to 22grams) of dried yeast for a typical 5 gallon batch. This amount of yeast, when properly rehydrated, provides enough active yeast cells to ensure a strong fermentation. Dry yeast can be stored for up to 2 years (preferably in the refridgerator), but the packets do degrade with time. Check the use by date on the package. Some leading and reliable brands of dry yeast are Fermentis Yeast, Cooper's, Danstar (produced by Lallemand), Muntons, and Edme. Dry yeast should be rehydrated in de-aerated water before pitching. Do not just sprinkle it onto the wort, which some instructions suggest; this is a shortcut that usually works but is not idea. For best results, rehydrate the yeast in warm, preboiled water (95 to 105F, 35-40C).

You may also be interested in the following paragraph on page 25...

Ideally, the starter wort temperature should be within 10F (6C) of the planned fermentation temperature. If the yeast is started warmer and then pitched to a cooler fermentation environment, it may be shocked or stunned by the change in temperature and may take a couple of days to regain normal activity.

The "Yeast" book goes into a lot more depth than "BCS" obviously because it is everything one would want to know extensively about yeast whereas "BCS" is purely written for the use of the recipes but does have a bit of basic information in it.

I recommend anyone who wants to know anything about yeast, to purchase Yeast and I also recommend anyone who wants some really nice Extract recipes with the AG equivalent recipes then BCS is great too.

I've done many many tests and decided that more often than not I just can't be bothered to rehydrate

Were you testing whether you could be bothered?

You got it [lol]

I've done many unofficial tests but the most comprehensive test involved splitting a wort and splitting a yeast. 1/2 the yeast was rehydrated and 1/2 was pitched dry. I filmed both with a time lapse camera for the first day and noticed slightly more action slightly earlier in the wort with the rehydrated yeast but not enough to make me decide I could really be bothered not sprinkling.

I'll try and find the video but for the life of me can't locate it at the moment. BTW - Taste wise I couldn't tell the difference between the 2.

faceslap [w00t]

thats frikkin AWESOME DUDE

(says in 12 year old voice jumping from one foot to the other)

awwwww cant ya find it mister.. it'd mean ever so much [w00t]

Seriously, That'd Rock the Cazbar

Archived