Coopers Community

AHB Kit and Extract Beer Designer

Smithy

Hey guys,

Do many people use this spread sheet much when designing their beers? I've been using it to play around a bit but not sure on the accuracy of it.

A few sources have told me totally different things about this spread sheet, which is unfortunate because it's such an awesome tool.

Has anyone found this spread sheet to be accurate or inaccurate?

Cheers

I used it for ages, what I felt was great about it was the hops part to assess the IBU's I was adding. As I now mostly do AG brews im using different software as it doesnt cater for Mash brewing but I loved it and is a great tool for beginners to get a 'feel' for what they are doing.

Certainly helped me get where I am... not that where I am is anywhere special... Im still learning the ropes [roll]

Yob

It was a Tasmanian who designed it. You know what they say?... two heads are better than one [biggrin]

I never had any issues using it and would recommend it to anyone else.

It is about as accurate as it can get, pretty much spot on imo.

If you have any queries with the developer then give Ianh a message on AHB.

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys. I was hoping it was accurate because it'll make things so much easier for me!

I have a stout to go down in a few weeks that it says should be around 6.5% ABV, whereas another spreadsheet I used said 7.3%! Not that a stout ABV bothers me too much, I was thinking more for future brews if I wanted to go for a mid strength and ended up with a face smasher! [devil]

You know... I spent a fair amount of time not far away from you Bill' date=' I lived in Howrah for many years [bandit']

and yes, I still have the scar

I am in Tranmere, so a lot closer than you thought, it appears [ninja]

pffft... the dirty south of tasmania...[lol]

i grew up in Launceston myself (only left 4 years ago).

on topic - i had a lot of trouble learning to use the spreadsheet, but then i'm a bit of a dunce on excel. once i figured it out, it's a great tool for comparing your recipe against the style that you want to make.

I did a test on this one last night with a brew that's still in the FV. I just put in the spread sheet all the ingredients I used for this brew and the OG/FG were 100% spot on!

Now, I just hope the IBU and EBC ratings are the same and we have a winner [biggrin] [cool]

The spreadsheet is a great planning tool and I use it all the time.

The IBU ratings will give you an idea of what to expect but it is really just an estimate.

There are a lot of variables that affect the IBU such as the freshness of the hops, utilisation in the boil etc.

But saying that it should be pretty close. And if you can taste the difference of an IBU of 36 and 33 in a similar styled beer then you are better than me.

Use it as a guide and you can make great beers with it.

pffft... the dirty south of tasmania...[lol]

Hey Andy

Nothing wrong with bringing a bit of Parochialism to the Guild [innocent] . Glad you liked it so much up the North of the State [roll] . However if you loved Launceston\u2019s fog and smog that much why on earth did you leave [lol] .

PS I find IanH's spreadsheet gives consistent results, my ABV normally sits between this estimate and the estimates you can obtain from the online Brewer's Calcualtor. As for IBU and EBC if it says its more bitter or darker it is right and that's OK for a start.

Yeah I would have left that area too. Shame you even had to admitt you were there. [rightful]

The best part of launceston to see is when you are heading south and look in the rearview mirror [ninja]

Archived