Coopers Community

New to the brewery Game - Kinda

RamenZ

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Billk - Your right, kinda met in the middle, my LHBS had the recipe mentioned and couldnt find caramalt hops so figured crystal couldnt hurt. And needing to buy some bulk hops as my LHBS only sells 25g packs, so might order some for ESB unless you know anywere else that sells cheap hops?

OG of JSGA - 1.042 - added 100g dextrose.

I believe CaraMalt is in fact a crystal malt.

Sorry I can't help regarding cheap hops. I buy my hops in bulk which work out on average about $3 for 100g, depending which one. Some even at about $2.40 per 100g. If you can get onto a bulk buy of hops I do suggest it if you find you go through quite a few of course [innocent]

Thanks billK, I was at Kegking today buying some sanitiser and found that they have cheapish hops, 100g, same as what I pay at my LHBS for 25g... lol. Was looking at getting some hop pellets bulk but will wait and see.

Updates

Beermakers Draught,

Dry hopped 12g Cascade - Really not sure about this one, as far as fermentation goes, wasnt really a krausen that formed but smell and taste remain intact, seems a bit bland initially but taste wasnt too bad. Will wait and see - and as far as SG Ill just leave before I bottle. Day 12 today in FV.

So basically this recipe is a "Get Rid Of This OS Lager That Daunts me Recipe' I will call it a wheat beer, but it meets in the middle somehow.

1 OS Lager Coopers

1 Wheat Extract Morgans

250g BE2 Coopers

680 Gram Archibalds Honey

12g Cascade 10 mins

12g Cascade 5 mins

Might dry hop?

Safbrew WB06 Pitched at 24'c

Will try an keep low temps 18'c if possible

Looking for this one to sit in FV an Rack up to total of 4 weeks, but may get inpatient.

OG 1.055 - will probably be a strong drop. Would love to figure out how to keep a bit more sweetness of the honey like Beez Neez?

Mind you Im still yet to taste my own honey blends fully matured.

So all five FV full and busy as bees.

Cheers

Rae

Ok a quick I am alive and have faceplanted into a brick wall.

Currently away from my 6 FV due to a brief need to be in Alice springs for the week. But before I left I implemented a Fruit salad ale

Australia Pale Ale

1kg Malt Body Booster

250 BE2

25 Cascade and Amirillo boiled 30 mins,

200g honey

and Stock yeast,

Pitched 26'c (to keep higher temps as recommended)

Set heater next to it was sitting 24'c 3 days into FV so figured will be ok until I return to cold Melbourne weather saturday.

Will bottle my Canadian Honey Blonde Sunday maybe, 5 weeks in FV.

Hoping as billK says, will be a good drop.

And will heat up the "water distiller" Heh.

Cheers again.

Kinda feel curious at times if people read this or not.

But whats an extra few kilobytes on coopers forum.

Rae

Also quick thought,

Sweeter honey beers,

Honey extract, essense, oil, havent really looked but thought about strawberry extract or any other sweet extract?

Also loosely thought about adding a late combination of 500 honey in 500 g lactose boiled mixed cooled (COVERED AND STERILE) in a fridge for 2days to impart flavour onto the lactouse adding late into FV 5-7 days with a wheat malt but an ale yeast brought back to life with a temp change and stir.

Any thoughts?

BY NO means am i the expert.

But homebrews about experimentation.

Id like some direction from the pros.

Cheers

Rae

• 3 months later...

Been a while now but a brief update. Had 3 odd batches infect on me. Other batches still smoothing out. Big fan of morgans amber ale, needs some hop oomf though. About to get into kegging and back on the brewing wagon. Been fermenting a different type of wash :P.

Cheers

Rae

Had 3 odd batches infect on me.

Damn mate, sorry to hear that, I hope you got to the bottom of the problem, was it a brewhouse infection? Or non related??

I think I would cry if I lost 3 brews in as many months

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply!!

Not really sure what the source of infection came from. I'd say it was my error!

I know PB2's rule [innocent]

Normally sterilise thoroughly with a phosphoric acid blend.

But I think I am back to an effective run again. I have found I prefer a completely sealed fermenter in comparison to the new coopers ones. No rationale, just easier to clean, fill up with sanitizer, shake and shake and shake.

On a new note.

I have commenced kegging! Filled my first keg the other night, was JSGA clone. Just waiting on a beer fridge and taps.

Slow forced carbonation at room temperature. Have got 3 pinlock kegs. Sodastream to keg for the time being. Probably will end up renting.

Looking to do a fat yak clone in the next couple of days.

Cheers again!

Rae.

Probably no more bottling anymore!!

I have found I prefer a completely sealed fermenter in comparison to the new coopers ones. No rationale' date=' just easier to clean, fill up with sanitizer, shake and shake and shake.[/quote']

[lol] The only real benefit of the shake, shake, shaking you'll be getting is a mild cardio workout.

Archived