Coopers Community

New to the brewery Game - Kinda

RamenZ

Ok, Chances are I will have some annoying questions over the next couple of weeks. Young lad starting to brews for the sake of drinking but looking to increase my ability to brew a better beer.

I have just bought Two coopers starter kits.

Have put down the Lager Kit which comes with the coopers starter kit as per instructions.

Lager kit

1Kg BE1

Pitched yeast - 24-26c

OG 1.38

Temps between 20-22

Due to be bottled around the 14/2/12

Just put down today

Brigalow Ginger Beer Kit (was unable to find coopers)

1kg Raw Sugar

1kg BE2 (hoping 5%alcohol content)

Pitched yeast 24-26c

Any pointers would be great in general. Looking to pitch yeast at lower temps and manage temps better on my second run of the lager.

Looking in to hops etc slowly, Just getting a few starter batches through to begin with to get the knack of it all.

Looking to brew next

Coopers Pale Ale - Standard

Then either Lager or Pale with Honey substitution say 30% sugars give or take.

Planning to run dual brewers constantly.

But anyway,

Thanks for the time with the introduction

And thanks for the good reading - Read through probably every recipe.

Rae

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I see people reading but no welcome!

New Batches down.

Coopers Pale Ale,

Brew Crafters Brew Enhancer #15,

PoR Hops - 12-15 grams, Rough guess from 25gram, - Steeped for 10mins and added to 2litre batch with ingredients + plus wort.

Pitched yeast 24'c (Needing to work on lower temps for pitching)

OG 1.039

Also

Black Rock Cider Kit put down,

Brewblend #15 added,

750 Gram Lactose added - Aiming for a sweeter cider for the missus

2 litres of preserative free Apple Juice,

Pear Schnapps essence - To be added down the track.

OG- 1.064

Ok Finished brews - Lager Kit - FG came at 1.012 - 4.1% ABV which is low yes? On that note Lager was more the starter warm up but will prefer to work up to lager yeasts when making appropriate lager.

Current works with cooling being a 50 litre tub (cheap from bunnings) to sit fermenter in - adding 2litre frozen pepsi bottles for cooling to see how that runs. (Based on the Mornington Peninsula VIC and summer has been freezing)

Plan being to get a fridge for temp control - but not finding ale yeasts an issue - sitting 20-22'c give or take.

Advice to be taken very lightly to the pro brewers but amatuer, I am finding my taste to beer/hops coming more to tune with boiling hops from olfactory senses to taste.

May or may not work up a rough beginners to novice guide- information. Kind of a Novice FAQ and Information. Anyone who has the time to put a serious input with information would be good.

Would be good to have an "all in one"

Opposed to scanning forums for relavent information.

But a relevant thank you to the big hitters - YOB, PB2,WEGGLE,MUDDY WATER etc for every bit of relevant information you have responded to someone else, and in turn, found by me by the world wide interweb.

Cheers

Rae

Also - Ginger beer slow to cook intitially, but day 5 SG was 1.030?!

Any thoughts?

Beer drinking for years but more so appreciating flavours,

Was up in W.A Recently and a visit to Little Creatures Induced a taste to the Little Creatures Pilsner.

Thoughts on clones or simular recipes?

Rae

Ok I see people reading but no welcome!

Sorry mate. I don't recall seeing these posts before. On busy days they slip off the front page and they sometimes get missed.

Anyway, a belated welcome to the forum!

It seems you are progressing nicely with your brewing. I will be interested to hear what you think of the Pale Ale with PoR used for flavour/aroma. It isn't renowned for being the nicest flavour hop, but you didn't use very much so it should be fine.

Good luck with it all.

I don't know much about ciders and ginger beers so I can't help you there.

As for Little Creatures Pilsner, the LC website states it is hopped with Tasmanian Hallertau, NZ Pacifica and Czech Saaz. I have the following pilsner on the go at the moment:

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Pilsner

1kg Light Dry Pilsner Malt

200g Dextrose

200g Carapils

20g Czech Saaz @ 20 min

20g Czech Saaz @ 5 min

S-189 yeast (swiss lager)

21 litres

You could use that as a base and play around with the hop types and schedule.

Yeah... Welcome Ramen... Missed it too,

The Coopesr Pale Ale Can I have experience with, Id be adding other sorts of Hops to this than POR, Not that it'll hurt it... and I also Like them with a Flavour and aroma addition, such as

Citra - Galaxy - Centennial - Chinook - Cascade - Hallertau -

and the list goes on...

Dry hopping or a short boil will add loads to this type of brew,

other suggestion is to move away from the "enhancers" and move toward making your own blends, ie: Get DME seperate to dex and make your own blend, LOADS cheaper and better, I think the "enhacers" are pretty much only good for enhancing the bottom line in someones bank account, not your beer [roll]

Adding some Spec grains is also a great way to add some freshness to the brew and is a great way to move up the ladder toward doing it all from scratch.

Keep up the passion mate.

Yob

Thanks for the welcome guys:P,

Essentially went for the Enhancer to try and get out a Pale Ale as close to coopers and went with PB2's post about PoR early in the coopers cook up with no aromatic additives. So figured lets see where we end up haha.

Currently running 3 coopers fermenters cooking away.

Next on the list of brews is probably going to be a honey wheat?

Would like to play with some Fat Yak ideas, and see how my temps go with the Pale I put down last night would like to try some lager yeasts.

Looking to start getting some better quality yeasts other than kit yeasts.

Have been down (more frequently than not) to my local barshop and they have been extremely helpful.

Would like to try racking to a second fermenter at some point - its a 50/50 for and against for what I read but nevertheless.

(will probably make a cheap effective one - Found Anaconda stores have 25litre drums like the old coopers brewers for about $20)

But thats all I have for now.

Rae

Hey Rae,[biggrin]

Welcome to the Guild! Sounds like you have a hell of a brewery running already![cool]

It looks like you are ready to try some hops and specialty grains like Yob and Hairy suggest. I suggest you try some clean finishing ale yeasts (ie US-05 Wyeast, 1056, etc.) before mucking around with more complicated lager yeasts. Ales are easier to manage the temperature range and can proof some crisp and clean brews.

Yeah was looking into what yeasts to use,

My current cold run of the Pale Ale I'm attempting to clone shows me I'm not getting temps lower than 18'c.(Using a 50litre bucket-with a tap on it, so i can actually get a sample with a shot glass and drain when i need to- with my coopers fermenter water just below temp gauge and adding 2litre frozen pepsi bottles)

So I'm thinking I will need to get a cheap and nasty fridge to turn into my brewing/dog food freezer fridge.

Quick update

- Pale Ale cooking along nicely- lovely aroma to it

- Ginger beer nearly finished brewing, thinking might've turned bad but not sure, nearly finished fermentation 1.005(will give it another day or two) taste is "ok", having trouble distinguishing the off apple smell from a co2 batter of ginger and sugar lol.

-Cider fermentation around day 6 give or take- SG-1.015 a nice sweet flavour to it- tasted simular to Dapples Cider (was at the Belgien Beer Garden Melbourne last nigh lol)

2 quick questions

- Can I re-use coopers pale ale glass bottles without to much concern (aware that I need to be absolutely positive about fermentation being complete as glass is more annoying to clean than pet bottles)

-Has anyone got any honey wheat/honey beer ideas or personal favourites recipes? Keen to try an put one done. Any thoughts on adding a touch of lactose onto that idea to bring out a mild taste of sweetness? Talking 100gram lactose.

Cheers for your time reading.

Rae

Coopers stubbies are amoung the best to use as there nice and thick and already used for bottle conditioning by coopers themselves. Put it this way a batch i made up 3 months ago 1 slab of CPA stubbies and 1 of Carlton Draught stubbies. I over primed all of the bottles equally and had 5 Draught ones blow up got the remaining in fridge asap once chilled less chance had no more luckily. Not one CPA stubbie blew and remained in shed for another month in mid to high 30s everyday

lol never read that but I tended to buy/use Longies [lol] is that why they are more expensive to buy PB? + the poor collection return numbers [lol]

Not that I mind, but would like to know, Im a mad fan of the Coopers bottles and felt it was a shame when you changed suppliers as the bottle neck inside diameter got smaller but overall were heavier..

yes I weighed the 2 types [lol] I could possible dig up those results..

Not that I mind, but would like to know, Im a mad fan of the Coopers bottles and felt it was a shame when you changed suppliers as the bottle neck inside diameter got smaller but overall were heavier..

I've been recycling bottles from the very first batch since we went to the heavier style 750ml glass, with Coopers script on the shoulder.[cool]

Have to admit that I'm not sure whether we went to Amcor glass for our 750ml bottles or not.

Will check on this and get back.

Most stubbies say dont reuse on them i have never had a blown one for any other reason than over priming and sort of knowing how far i could push carbonation before it occurs. Now i know how much sugar to put in each one no worries but there is always a small risk there. Being glass it flies everywhere and could be dangerous but making sure fermentation is complete and not over priming is the best bet.[cool]

Ok another update, if someone reads this and enjoys great. But i'll keep adding.

Brigalow's Ginger Beer bottled today, 10 days fermentation, taste is good, smell is "different" - lol.

OG - 1.036 - FG -1.002 ABV - 5.2%?

Hoping it settles a bit and comes out a nice drop but we will see.

Put down a new batch today - aimed for honey wheat (Beez Neez Clone)

1 Coopers lager

1kg Malt Extract

Yeast - Muntons Gold

Archibald Honey 500g (410g actual sugars)

PoR 12g Steeped for 10mins (beez neez site states something about PoR and didnt think it was so much aromatic)

Pitched 24'c

Also - Some brewers will cringe - added 100g lactose- hoping to keep some residual sweetness from the honey.

Any thoughts on how it will come out?

Sure time will tell.

Anyway

Rae

As far as I understamd POR is more of a bittering hop, not aromatic, let us know how you get on with that, though I have read that fresh POR flowers are the exception.

If I wanted flavour or aroma, I'd nor be looking toward POR, that said I do have fresh flowers of POR in the backyard and WILL try a glass or two of flowers just for my own experience, will get back to you on it

Yob

Cheers Yob, Only reason I've tried PoR is cause PB2 stating used in coopers pale ale recipe, And from reading Beez Neez beer information that they use it, took a stab to see if it was for flavour not for scent:P. Mind you I am looking to trial other hops but just working through a list of beers to trial, Brewing lots but you dont really get a chance to taste until a month in. So ill have constant updates i suppose.

Cheers

Rae

From memory, PB2's post mentioned using PoR as a bittering hop in the full extract version of the Coopers Pale Ale (ie. using unhopped liquid malt).

You are using the Coopers Lager in your recipe which has already been bittered with PoR.

But you have only added 12g of PoR so you should be fine. It's not like you whackked a huge amount in there Yob style.

Ok gentleman and Ladies..

Firstly,

My coopers pale ale seems finished - S.G 1.008 at 9 days, but will let sit for another couple of days.

Taste and aroma is beautiful, Really looking forward to getting stuck into a few a couple of weeks down the track.

My honey wheat is slowly cooking along - more curiosity with that batch.

I mentioned my cider a week or so ago- day 11 fermentation -S.G 1.022 which has me more curious that its slow to ferment with more complex sugars, and I've kept at lower temps so will wait and see.

Any information to ease my mind would be nice.

I was wondering as far as heating goes, I was looking at heating bands (as concept of pads with heating yeast sediment seems innapropriate and seems like it would compromise taste) but im thinking cheaper but risk of infection being sterilised fish tank heaters? Curious if anyone has tried this at all?

Anyway,

Kind regards,

Rae

I was wondering as far as heating goes, I was looking at heating bands (as concept of pads with heating yeast sediment seems innapropriate and seems like it would compromise taste) but im thinking cheaper but risk of infection being sterilised fish tank heaters? Curious if anyone has tried this at all?

It's hardly an off-the-shelf solution at the moment, but I'm currently toying with temperature control using Peltier effect thermoelectric elements. So far it's looking good and since the temperature control is applied over a large surface area of the fermenter, the effect is very 'gentle' and seems well suited to brewing, whether it be heating or cooling.

Just a thought if you're technically inclined..

Archived