Coopers Community

Kit Cost in US

hanelpt

1 hour ago, hanelpt said:

Hey there.  Just starting to brew Coopers here in the US. I bought two kits that cost $26 USD each. If I did my math right that's $39 AU. When I see your cost is half that I'm astounded! Cheers!

Paul Hanel
Milwaukee

Coopers Kit.jpg

Good move, now you can enjoy some quality home-made beer, all the best.

Hello @hanelpt,  Welcome to the Coopers Community. My homebrews are Coopers extracts. My favourites are Coopers Original Australian Pale Ale, and the Brew A IPA which you are doing. How does that $26 USD compare to other extract/kit brews in the US? My extract homebrews turn out at about 1/5 price of bottled/canned beer and much yummier. What is the price of your cans or bottles of beer please?

• Like 2

We can only get unhopped liquid extract in the US. No producer in NA makes hopped kits here. That's why I'm brewing Coopers. We can get Muntons from the UK too but at almost the same cost as Coopers. Mr. Beer is more available but those are even costlier and they are AU too. All the brew kits produced here contain unhopped LME and hops pellets that require boiling for hops extraction. I believe home brewing in AU and UK is more popular than it is here in the US. What is the cost for a commercial six pack in Australia? We pay $10 to $12 US for craft beer. Budweiser and Miller are less. Perhaps there's a greater cost incentive in AU?

Thanks for the warm welcome! My first cans are scheduled to arrive this weekend. Can't wait to get started!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hanelpt said:

We can only get unhopped liquid extract in the US. No producer in NA makes hopped kits here. That's why I'm brewing Coopers. We can get Muntons from the UK too but at almost the same cost as Coopers. Mr. Beer is more available but those are even costlier and they are AU too. All the brew kits produced here contain unhopped LME and hops pellets that require boiling for hops extraction. I believe home brewing in AU and UK is more popular than it is here in the US. What is the cost for a commercial six pack in Australia? We pay $10 to $12 US for craft beer. Budweiser and Miller are less. Perhaps there's a greater cost incentive in AU?

Thanks for the warm welcome! My first cans are scheduled to arrive this weekend. Can't wait to get started!

A six-pack of craft beer? $30! 

A carton of mega swill will cost you more than $50, and craft beer ranges around $80-120, depending on where you buy it and what it is. And no, our salaries are nowhere near as outrageously high as the beer prices. 

However, I know of a craft brewery where I can get 2 cartons of craft beer for somewhere between $25-$50. It's called Goodnaer Bräu and is located in my brew shed 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Something I noticed on my recent trip to Australia is that booze in the bottle shop is more expensive than in NZ. Even Aussie made beer (Coopers, VB, etc.) is cheaper here. However, it's cheaper to drink at the pub in Oz than it is here.

Coopers kits look to cost about the same, but we cant get the Thomas Coopers range. But there are a few other brands of kits available, most of which is made in the Speights factory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Something I noticed on my recent trip to Australia is that booze in the bottle shop is more expensive than in NZ. Even Aussie made beer (Coopers, VB, etc.) is cheaper here. However, it's cheaper to drink at the pub in Oz than it is here.

Coopers kits look to cost about the same, but we cant get the Thomas Coopers range. But there are a few other brands of kits available, most of which is made in the Speights factory.

Yeah, I noticed that beer is a fair bit cheaper over your end. And you can get it whilst grocery shopping, whereas we, even more so here in Qld, have to go elsewhere. The first time I walked into a Pak'nSafe in Hamilton, I walked into the booze section, fell to my knees and praised the gods of booze for this 🙂 

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, I noticed that beer is a fair bit cheaper over your end. And you can get it whilst grocery shopping, whereas we, even more so here in Qld, have to go elsewhere. The first time I walked into a Pak'nSafe in Hamilton, I walked into the booze section, fell to my knees and praised the gods of booze for this 🙂 

And I spend three days in Java last year and could not find any alcohol at all☹️

• Sad 3