Coopers Community

Best Before Date

Just letting the community know I've just made (and drunk) a batch of English Bitter that had a Best Before date of January this year...and it was great!

So am wondering if anyone else has experience of this. Mine was 10 months past the Best Before, has anyone tried one that was even longer past the date?

24 minutes ago, The Brew That Is True said:

Just letting the community know I've just made (and drunk) a batch of English Bitter that had a Best Before date of January this year...and it was great!

So am wondering if anyone else has experience of this. Mine was 10 months past the Best Before, has anyone tried one that was even longer past the date?

One of my very early brews was a 3 year old Coopers Lager.  But I did use a fresh yeast.  The beer was fine.  But I would not do it again.  Buy fresh, brew fresh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Brew That Is True said:

In my early days I used to take advantage of discontinued/reduced cans of extracts some close to & others 6 months or more to the best before.

Most of them were OK, obviously brews like Pale Ales were darker, I did use fresh yeasts but looking back I wouldn't do it again as like @Shamus O'Sean I would rather buy fresh.

You can actually taste the difference.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

One of my very early brews was a 3 year old Coopers Lager.  But I did use a fresh yeast.  The beer was fine.  But I would not do it again.  Buy fresh, brew fresh.

wow, 3 years old, very impressive - it shows Coopers is a very robust product!

So it seems yeast is the ingredient most susceptible to going off.

Totally agree about freshness, I always do...this was given to me so I thought I'd give it a go anyway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

In my early days I used to take advantage of discontinued/reduced cans of extracts some close to & others 6 months or more to the best before.

Most of them were OK, obviously brews like Pale Ales were darker, I did use fresh yeasts but looking back I wouldn't do it again as like @Shamus O'Sean I would rather buy fresh.

You can actually taste the difference.

yeah, normally buy fresh but a friend gave up drinking(!!) and gave me all his equipment and ingredients

• Like 1

I made a bunch of European lager kits I got that were a few months past the bb, including using the yeast. I thought they came out alright, however I didn't have a point of comparison, having not used that kit previously.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Jan last year I bottled a coopers ruby porter.

The yeast didn't work. (First for a few years) The can was 3 months past its best before. Went ok with a fresher yeast and tasted fine.

I currently  and usually, have 4 yeast sachets and now store them in the fridge. They are currently all about 10 months old. Just always use the oldest. Works for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

Hey OB @Oldbloke, they may have missed this message as the tag hasn't been highlighted in red for some reason. Possibly due to the spaces between the words - just so you know.

@Coopers DIY Beer Team

Yeah & the other thing is they could all be busy with the latest newly added mini brewery-taproom.

I have used them 6 months after the BB date & they just turn out darker, but you need to use a fresh yeast.

• Like 2