Coopers Community

Ginger beer

What kit ginger beer Is passing the taste test,

the two most popular look like Mangrove Jack or  Morgan , don’t want it sickly sweet , and do they need any extra ingredients , also best yeast to use , 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davids47 said:

What kit ginger beer Is passing the taste test,

the two most popular look like Mangrove Jack or  Morgan , don’t want it sickly sweet , and do they need any extra ingredients , also best yeast to use , 

Apparently, there is a Coopers ginger beer kit coming but I can't tell how far away it is. @Coopers DIY Beer Team Was talking about it not long ago and that there were just some questions about packaging IIRC. Might be worth the wait 🙂 

• Like 2

Two types of ginger beer kits, morgans is slightly more in the camp of a cider & mangrove jack is a blonde that's ginger infused, both contain artificial sweetener.

I've brewing Morgan's ginger beer on & off for years, I find it's pretty dam good.

I use Nottingham work horse & brew it around 17°c.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can't wait for coopers to release a new ginger beer kit. My understanding is adding extra ginger like you would a partial mash greatly improves it. 

Also helps to mask the artificial sweetners used. I think I remember Frank saying they were working on that side of it to be more balanced so not over sweet.

Also I have been told cider yeast is the best thing for ginger beer.  Most ginger beer kit yeasts most likely already contain it. If upping the abv I would use an 11 gram pack of cider yeast.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 2

Shocked to hear about Morgan's Brewing, hope they can restructure & bounce back. Along with Coopers they are giants in the brewing world. 

I am not trying to sound bitter but,  Coopers have been promising the return of the Ginger Beer for quiet a very long time now.

54 minutes ago, ScoMo said:

Shocked to hear about Morgan's Brewing, hope they can restructure & bounce back. Along with Coopers they are giants in the brewing world. 

I am not trying to sound bitter but,  Coopers have been promising the return of the Ginger Beer for quiet a very long time now.

I don't think anyone's told the folks at Morgans that they're no longer in business. 

...and yes, the return of Ginger Beer has been a long time coming, but I can tell you it is going to happen this year.  Cheers, Frank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

I don't think anyone's told the folks at Morgans that they're no longer in business. 

...and yes, the return of Ginger Beer has been a long time coming, but I can tell you it is going to happen this year.  Cheers, Frank.

I am patiently waiting for the Coopers Ginger Beer TBH. I'd like a good ginger beer kit and my neighbour is too. She keeps asking me for one 🙂 

So Morgans is still in business, that's great. Doesn't Coopers hold a rather large stake in them? 

• Like 1

@davids47 This is from my recipe book from October 2022, although I've changed the recipe around a bit this is the one I base them around.

●Spiced Gingerbeer

Morgans ginger beer kit.

1kg of CSR raw sugar.

.500gs of CSR brown sugar.

.300gs of carrared grain

5 cinnamon quills.

10gs of cloves.

1 Star anise.

1 tbls of ginger extract.

Yeast nutrient 

Danstar Nottingham @ 17°c

OG 1.044 FG 1.010

4.4%abv +0.5%primmer =4.9%abv. (or there abouts)