Coopers Community

Starting up this thread for anyone who is interested in the style.

Been doing a bit of research into this style of beer with a view to putting one down myself in the next few weeks. I haven't had many examples but the commercial ones i have had i did enjoy so it has piqued my interest in making one. 

https://www.bjcp.org/beer-styles/17c-flanders-brown-aleoud-bruin/

The best way i can describe it is a dark malty sour which is a little different from flanders red. I have been trying to source a ready to pitch culture being Wyeast 3209 but no luck on that front so i am going to go it alone in doing something different. The plan is to do a high temp mash at 70c and quick sour it with lactobacillus before pitching a stovetop hop boil and some sacc yeast. Ill be aiming to cut the pH at 3.4 or 3.5. The commercial examples were not overly sour for my tastes but maybe the maltiness offsets the sour somewhat. Then ill sit it in a corner to ferment and mature for 6 to 12 months. Unsure if this will work so going to use my 11L glass carboy as the first batch.

Will post up the recipes and sample tastings etc as i go along.

• Like 6

Interesting thoughts on how to come to the result.
I have not a lot to add apart from I may well order some Roselare yeast now that I have seen it available and based on the style page at Wyeast

5 hours ago, ben 10 said:

Interesting thoughts on how to come to the result.
I have not a lot to add apart from I may well order some Roselare yeast now that I have seen it available and based on the style page at Wyeast

Yeah when I read about yeasts for oud bruin some said they used Roselare and said it worked OK and others said it finished too dry with too much brettanomyces flavours. Certainly the commercial examples I had I didn't really notice any brettanomyces and the wyeast oud bruin strain doesn't contain it either. So yeah I have my chimay strain and some lacto plantarum and gonna quick sour it then drop in the sacc yeast with the hop boil and let it mature from there. 

https://wyeastlab.com/product/oud-bruin-ale-blend/

On 5/29/2024 at 8:37 PM, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Starting up this thread for anyone who is interested in the style.

Been doing a bit of research into this style of beer with a view to putting one down myself in the next few weeks. I haven't had many examples but the commercial ones i have had i did enjoy so it has piqued my interest in making one. 

https://www.bjcp.org/beer-styles/17c-flanders-brown-aleoud-bruin/

The best way i can describe it is a dark malty sour which is a little different from flanders red. I have been trying to source a ready to pitch culture being Wyeast 3209 but no luck on that front so i am going to go it alone in doing something different. The plan is to do a high temp mash at 70c and quick sour it with lactobacillus before pitching a stovetop hop boil and some sacc yeast. Ill be aiming to cut the pH at 3.4 or 3.5. The commercial examples were not overly sour for my tastes but maybe the maltiness offsets the sour somewhat. Then ill sit it in a corner to ferment and mature for 6 to 12 months. Unsure if this will work so going to use my 11L glass carboy as the first batch.

Will post up the recipes and sample tastings etc as i go along.

You’re a bad man! Sounds really good will have to get a commercial bottle to try??? You’re making my rabbit hole not only deeper but wider! 🤣 What percentage you looking at? Good luck hope it turns out amazing 🤩 

15 hours ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Yeah when I read about yeasts for oud bruin some said they used Roselare and said it worked OK and others said it finished too dry with too much brettanomyces flavours.

Certainly doesn't meet the descriptors, worked well with a Flanders though.

Philly sour ????

14 hours ago, RDT2 said:

You’re a bad man! Sounds really good will have to get a commercial bottle to try??? You’re making my rabbit hole not only deeper but wider! 🤣 What percentage you looking at? Good luck hope it turns out amazing 🤩 

Thanks RDT. Looking around the mid 5s to 6 ABV. The style is quite wide in terms of ABV.