Coopers Community

Devils Porter

Not sure if I've gone too far. Just started a brew with the following:

1.7kg Devils half Ruby Porter,  1.5kg light malt extract, 1.5kg dark malt extract & 11g Allemande Nottingham years. OG was 1.057 before year pitched. Day 2 and fermentation is strong @ 18-20 degrees.

Anyone done this before? Any comments? What FG should I expect?

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't made that particular recipe but I'd expect a pretty tasty, fairly strong beer. Your FG will depend on the temperature the measurement is taken at and the accuracy of your hydrometer. When using Nottingham in two brews with similar OGs I've had FG readings of 1.007 on one hydrometer and 1.018 on another hydrometer on both brews. The hydrometer that read an OG of 1.057 returned an FG of 1.018 so I'd be expecting something around that mark. Just wait until you've got a stable reading over a couple of days and you'll be safe.

3 hours ago, Dobro said:

1.7kg Devils half Ruby Porter,  1.5kg light malt extract, 1.5kg dark malt extract & 11g Allemande Nottingham years. OG was 1.057 before year pitched. Day 2 and fermentation is strong @ 18-20 degrees.

3 hours ago, Dobro said:

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds pretty good, it should have a nice malty backbone, I would have used 2 yeast packets with that amount of fermentable's although Nottingham is pretty reliable.

Good luck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dobro said:

Hi Dobro and welcome to the Forum.

That's a bold beer you are making there.  Is the Light and Dark Malt Extract in liquid or dry form?  I would have expected an OG of around 1.063 with Liquid Malt Extract and 1.072 with Dry Malt Extract.  The difference is that Dry ME is all malt extract, whereas the Liquid ME is about 20% water, which effectively reduces the fermentables.

As for FG and ABV,

• Liquid ME around 1.016 and 6.6% and
  • Dry ME about 1.018 and 7.4%

Those ABV's assume bottle conditioning with sugar, which adds about 0.4% to the ABV.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Dobro and welcome to the Forum.

That's a bold beer you are making there.  Is the Light and Dark Malt Extract in liquid or dry form?  I would have expected an OG of around 1.063 with Liquid Malt Extract and 1.072 with Dry Malt Extract.  The difference is that Dry ME is all malt extract, whereas the Liquid ME is about 20% water, which effectively reduces the fermentables.

As for FG and ABV,

• Liquid ME around 1.016 and 6.6% and
  • Dry ME about 1.018 and 7.4%

Those ABV's assume bottle conditioning with sugar, which adds about 0.4% to the ABV.

Thanks Shamus. It is liquid malt extract.  It continues to ferment vigorously @ 18-20 degrees with lots of thick foam on top.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 9:57 AM, Dobro said:

Thanks Shamus. It is liquid malt extract.  It continues to ferment vigorously @ 18-20 degrees with lots of thick foam on top.

Nottingham yeast does that. It starts fairly quickly and then just takes off. It's a workhorse. But as @Classic Brewing Co suggested, 2 sachets would have been better. The bigger the beer, the more yeast you need to get through it all without stressing the yeast. I'm about to bottle a wheat wine, which started at 1.111 and while I used a starter made from one sachet, the yeast that went into the FV was the equivalent of about 4-5 sachets. 

• Like 2

On 4/22/2024 at 10:25 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Nottingham yeast does that. It starts fairly quickly and then just takes off. It's a workhorse. But as @Classic Brewing Co suggested, 2 sachets would have been better. The bigger the beer, the more yeast you need to get through it all without stressing the yeast. I'm about to bottle a wheat wine, which started at 1.111 and while I used a starter made from one sachet, the yeast that went into the FV was the equivalent of about 4-5 sachets. 

Mate after 5 days SG was 1.028 and fermentation had slowed considerably. Now 10 days it is 1.019. there is a huge amount of sediment in the the bottom of the fermentation vessel and some still in the top. The brew tastes a bit sweeter than I expected, other wise tastes okay. I'm thinking of giving a few more days. What do you think?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dobro said:

Mate after 5 days SG was 1.028 and fermentation had slowed considerably. Now 10 days it is 1.019. there is a huge amount of sediment in the the bottom of the fermentation vessel and some still in the top. The brew tastes a bit sweeter than I expected, other wise tastes okay. I'm thinking of giving a few more days. What do you think?

When the SG stops falling you have reached the FG. I normally give it a little more time after that to allow the yeast time to clean up after themselves.