Coopers Community

Same Same But Similar Pale Ale - March 2024 Recipe of the Month

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,
Just after a bit of clarification on this recipe:

• In a good size pot (around 5 Litres) bring 2 litres of water to approximately 60-70°C, add the crushed Carapils Malt (we recommend wrapping in a mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper) and let steep for about 30 minutes

Am I getting water to temp and steeping for 30mins off the heat or…

Do I maintain water 60-70 C whilst steeping and keeping it on the heat for 30mins?

I assume the latter like other recipes but it’s just not explicitly stated to maintain temp. 
Thanks 

1 hour ago, Musto said:

Hey guys,

• In a good size pot (around 5 Litres) bring 2 litres of water to approximately 60-70°C, add the crushed Carapils Malt (we recommend wrapping in a mesh cleaning cloth, pulled straight from the wrapper) and let steep for about 30 minutes

Do I maintain water 60-70 C whilst steeping and keeping it on the heat for 30mins?

I assume the latter like other recipes but it’s just not explicitly stated to maintain temp. 
Thanks 

Just steep it in the water after you have reached the temperature & leave for 30 minutes & tip the water with the mesh bag in the Fermenter. 

• Like 1

It's the former you bring the water to temp and then steep the grains don't tip the water and the mesh bag into the fermenter take the mesh bag out of the water and let it drain into the pot then tip that liquid only into the fermenter 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Musto said:

Hey guys,

Thanks 

It is the former.  Heat water to the high end of the range.  Turn off the heat.  Add the grains.  Leave to steep for 30 minutes.  If you try to keep the heat up on the stove, the bottom of the pot will get too hot.

You can wrap the pot in a couple of towels.  It will keep the heat pretty well as long as you start close to the 70°C mark.

An option is if you have a sous vide stick that can maintain a narrow temperature range.  With it dunked in the pot, is a good way to keep the steep temperature stable without hot spots.

Oh, yeah.  As @Back Brewing says, remove the grain bag from the steep water, let it drain a bit, and only add the water to the fermenter.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2

Legends!
Thanks guys, glad I checked in 😅

Yeah I’ve read about the sous vide stick in a few threads.  Still early days in my brewing journey so I’m holding off until I do a few more brew recipes with steeping (this will be my first 🤞)

• Like 1