Coopers Community

How do you keep flies at bay when brewing?

I am being pestered by flies when I am brewing. They drown themselves in my tea and my beer, they circle the kettle, they sit and feed on the spent grains and are just overall pests. At any given time, there are at least two dozen of the buggers annoying the living hell out of me. So last week, I remembered I still had some fly traps in the shed. I set one up in the brewery and it seemed to work. Not that I have brewed since but I could see deadies floating in there after just a day. This morning, I went into the brewery to take out some dry hops and noticed this awful stench of a freshly laid turd at one particular spot. I looked around and couldn't see anything in or around the brewery, thinking the brew dog may have left a landmine I hadn't picked up. Then it dawned on me and I took the fly trap down. There were 50+ dead flies in there and about 200 maggots, some still wiggling. This is where the stink came from.

So with the fly trap out of the question, what can I do to keep them away? I've always had to deal with flies but this is a different level. Maybe it has something to do with the suburb I live in meaning "dung" in the local aboriginal language 🙂 What can I do to keep them away? Will a bug zapper do the trick? What do you use to keep them at bay? 

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I am being pestered by flies when I am brewing. They drown themselves in my tea and my beer, they circle the kettle, they sit and feed on the spent grains and are just overall pests. At any given time, there are at least two dozen of the buggers annoying the living hell out of me. So last week, I remembered I still had some fly traps in the shed. I set one up in the brewery and it seemed to work. Not that I have brewed since but I could see deadies floating in there after just a day. This morning, I went into the brewery to take out some dry hops and noticed this awful stench of a freshly laid turd at one particular spot. I looked around and couldn't see anything in or around the brewery, thinking the brew dog may have left a landmine I hadn't picked up. Then it dawned on me and I took the fly trap down. There were 50+ dead flies in there and about 200 maggots, some still wiggling. This is where the stink came from.

So with the fly trap out of the question, what can I do to keep them away? I've always had to deal with flies but this is a different level. Maybe it has something to do with the suburb I live in meaning "dung" in the local aboriginal language 🙂 What can I do to keep them away? Will a bug zapper do the trick? What do you use to keep them at bay? 

Jeepers @Aussiekraut, I feel for ya mate - Busso used to be well known for its fly plagues in summer, but thankfully the introduction of the dung beetle some years ago now they are at acceptable levels (whatever that is). 
So if you are unable to close off your brewing area with shade cloth or flyscreen, maybe something old school like fly paper or they say Lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint and lemongrass essential oils are a fly repellent  

No idea about the effectiveness of the modern electric powered replants  🤷‍♂️

Good luck cobber 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I was going to suggest a 'zapper' I have one in the backyard entertainment area.

We don't get many flies here at Glenelg, so they aren't really a problem.

The zapper gets mosquitoes & other bugs that are attracted to light.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Jeepers @Aussiekraut, I feel for ya mate - Busso used to be well known for its fly plagues in summer, but thankfully the introduction of the dung beetle some years ago now they are at acceptable levels (whatever that is). 
So if you are unable to close off your brewing area with shade cloth or flyscreen, maybe something old school like fly paper or they say Lavender, eucalyptus, peppermint and lemongrass essential oils are a fly repellent  

No idea about the effectiveness of the modern electric powered replants  🤷‍♂️

Good luck cobber 🍺🍺🍺🍺

The area is gated off with two roller doors, a 3m colourbond panel and a wall. Just above the front roller door is a gap between the tin roof and the roller itself I haven't closed off yet. When all is shut it isn't too bad in there but once the front roller is up and the kettle is running, it is on for young and old. I might try some diffusers in there to see. We have citronella candles on the patio table and the flies just come and gather around it like a campfire 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I was going to suggest a 'zapper' I have one in the backyard entertainment area.

We don't get many flies here at Glenelg, so they aren't really a problem.

The zapper gets mosquitoes & other bugs that are attracted to light.

Some say the zapper should get flies as well but I'm not sure about it. If you don't have many flies down there, I can certainly send you some 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

The area is gated off with two roller doors, a 3m colourbond panel and a wall. Just above the front roller door is a gap between the tin roof and the roller itself I haven't closed off yet. When all is shut it isn't too bad in there but once the front roller is up and the kettle is running, it is on for young and old. I might try some diffusers in there to see. We have citronella candles on the patio table and the flies just come and gather around it like a campfire 🙂 

Maybe something like this might help when your door is open
https://www.bunnings.com.au/pillar-90-x-200cm-black-magnetic-strip-flyscreen-door-curtain_p3961776?region_id=112440&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADtbEB8LiKh5UmmK_KA8qERpC8NGZ&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2PSvBhDjARIsAKc2cgOTNMehYkNwk3vxQoBNKN5AiQVjegrs6VRNZe8IZmdoi_HMfrHcEwUaAvYIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Interesting. Might do but I need a lot of them. The front roller is 260cm wide I think.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Brew with your mouth open flies love getting in there 🤣🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Interesting. Might do but I need a lot of them. The front roller is 260cm wide I think.

Or maybe fit one of them as an entrance through one big shade cloth or flyscreen dropper. Think a shade cloth that’s on pulleys that that you can roll up out of the way or down when the shed roller door is open (a bit like a cafe blind setup) and it has one of these fitted as an easy access door. 
Maybe a bit of dickin around to make and install, but once done you effectively have a flyscreen door fitted to the entrance of the brewery - WOOHOO 🥳 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Some say the zapper should get flies as well but I'm not sure about it. If you don't have many flies down there, I can certainly send you some 🙂 

I've got a zapper. Useless for flies. OK for moths, mozzies.

This is true: Glenelg did have a fly problem decades ago. When a young Bart Cummings began his horse training career at his Glenelg stables.

A council inspector came calling and sternly told Bart, "Mr. Cummings, you have far too many flies around your stables."

Bart asked him, "How many should I have?"

Edited by Malter White
  • Haha 5

I found this article, seems to make sense. In fact, I do notice when I travel to the Northern Suburbs & some other areas there are more flies.

Flies can be quite elusive, but their presence often depends on various factors. In the case of Glenelg, South Australia, here are some possible reasons for the apparent lack of flies:

1. Climate and Season: Flies thrive in warm and humid conditions. If Glenelg experiences cooler temperatures or dry weather, it could explain the reduced fly population.

2. Local Environment: Glenelg’s specific environment, including vegetation, water sources, and waste management practices, may not be conducive to fly breeding.

3. Wind Patterns: Strong winds can disperse flies over large distances. If Glenelg frequently experiences windy conditions, it might limit the local fly population.

4. Urban Planning: Effective waste management and urban planning can reduce fly breeding sites. Glenelg’s cleanliness and waste disposal practices may play a role.

Remember that fly populations can fluctuate due to various factors, and it’s possible that Glenelg experiences fewer flies at certain times. For more detailed insights, consult local entomologists or environmental experts. 🦟🌿

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I found this article, seems to make sense. In fact, I do notice when I travel to the Northern Suburbs & some other areas there are more flies.

Flies can be quite elusive, but their presence often depends on various factors. In the case of Glenelg, South Australia, here are some possible reasons for the apparent lack of flies:

1. Climate and Season: Flies thrive in warm and humid conditions. If Glenelg experiences cooler temperatures or dry weather, it could explain the reduced fly population.

2. Local Environment: Glenelg’s specific environment, including vegetation, water sources, and waste management practices, may not be conducive to fly breeding.

3. Wind Patterns: Strong winds can disperse flies over large distances. If Glenelg frequently experiences windy conditions, it might limit the local fly population.

4. Urban Planning: Effective waste management and urban planning can reduce fly breeding sites. Glenelg’s cleanliness and waste disposal practices may play a role.

Remember that fly populations can fluctuate due to various factors, and it’s possible that Glenelg experiences fewer flies at certain times. For more detailed insights, consult local entomologists or environmental experts. 🦟🌿

We did have a very warm and humid summer up here and I've never seen that many flies around as this time. It wasn't half as bad last summer. Except for maybe three or four days, it was 30+ every day since December until about a week ago, while the humidity was quite high at the same time. Our household waste and the bio bins were crawling with maggots and a swarm of flies came out every time you opened the lid. Totally disgusting. So the weather certainly has something to do with it. 

• Like 4

Well, if you go back a few decades, in China, the Imperial Leader Mao Zedong, launched the "Four Pests" initiative, which was aimed at eradicating Flies, Mosquitoes, Rats and Sparrows.  A bounty of 1000 Yuan ($125.00) was apparently paid for every 2000 dead flies in one province.  I remember hearing that every Chinese person was expected to kill at least 10 flies per day.  Have you a supportive community down your way?  Perhaps our immigration policy should focus on this skill, instead of those required to build the required housing to house the immigrants that can build houses.

Edited by glivo
  • Haha 2