Coopers Community

Dark ale

Mackman

33 minutes ago, Mackman said:

Just got Coopers dark ale and seek advice to enhance the brew. 

Hi @Mackman Welcome to the forum, in my opinion the Coopers Dark Ale is a great beer made per can instructions, if you are new to brewing, I would suggest do just that, then you can decide what you would like to change/improve.

Adding extra Malt, Dark LDM (liquid malt) or Malt-LDM (powder) would give it more body, but I would only add 500gms.

Later on, you may decide to experiment with some hops, but I would do some research first maybe East Kent Goldings.

You could steep some medium Crystal about 200gms but as I said I would try the basic version first.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi @Mackman Welcome to the forum, in my opinion the Coopers Dark Ale is a great beer made per can instructions, if you are new to brewing, I would suggest do just that, then you can decide what you would like to change/improve.

Adding extra Malt, Dark LDM (liquid malt) or Malt-LDM (powder) would give it more body, but I would only add 500gms.

Later on, you may decide to experiment with some hops, but I would do some research first maybe East Kent Goldings.

You could steep some medium Crystal about 200gms but as I said I would try the basic version first.

Cheers

Phil

As always, great advice @Classic Brewing Co 👏

Enjoy @Mackman I would also recommend having a look through the recipe page on Coopers website if you haven’t already 

You might also enjoy reading and reviewing this thread 

Cheers ta cold beers mate 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mackman said:

Thanks for the advice Phil,further does the LDM go in with the can ingredients as well as the enhancer. 

Yes, but I would also look at @Shamus O'Sean comments as he is pretty much the man when it comes to recipes & excellent, precise advice.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes, but I would also look at @Shamus O'Sean comments as he is pretty much the man when it comes to recipes & excellent, precise advice.

Thanks for the kind words Phil.  I did not say anything because you said what I would have said.

The one thing I would recommend @Mackman is to use Dry Malt Extract because it is easier to measure.  In fact, the Coopers Light Dry Malt comes in 500g boxes, which is perfect to add to Coopers Dark Ale and Brew Enhancer 3.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For the last 12 months I've been making "Old Beer" for a mate using the Cooper's Dark Ale, or an alternate brand from New Zealand which is pretty much the same.  He loves it.  I'm not sure how close you live to a HBS but the local here sells a Creamy Stout Pack pre-mixed in 1 kg bags.  It is a mix of Dark dry malt extract, Light dry malt extract, maltodextrin and dextrose.  I'm not sure of the proportions but I just throw in the full kit and kilo and it turns out great.  I think if you went as already advised with DME and BE3 you wouldn't go far wrong.

I did learn very early that it won't ferment right down to a low FG.  I think I'm only getting down to 1.016 or something, but what I basically do now is put it in the FV and just leave it for anywhere between 10 - 14 days.  It is a very forgiving brew to make, which makes it even easier.  I bulk prime with 180 grams of white sugar for 30 or 31 bottles.

Keep an eye on the Home Brew aisle in WW (if your local has one).   When they have 25% off their Cooper's cans, so does Big W.  Big W sell the Old and a few months back I bought 10 cans for about $12.65 per can.  I did Click and Collect at both stores within travelling distance.

Edit:  I was just reading a thread from late last year where Dan Murphy's came up and it was mentioned there were supply issues when you just rock up in store.  You can pre-order a 6 pack of Cooper's Dark Ale for $74.95.  So, that's about the same price as Big W Special price and it's available today.  My local store has 6 available right now, but if they didn't, they would get it in within 6 weeks for me.  If you plan ahead, that is pretty easy to manage and great value IMO.

Edited by glivo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late.

I make this all the time. As mentioned just add BE 3, or light dried malt, can't go wrong.

My recipe for a mid strength is,

Can dark ale

500 grams dried malt. Light, ale or dark but as your new i suggest light.

100grams corn syrup. 

Brew between 18c to 23c. I brew at 19c

Bottle and prime after 9-10 days.

Keep warm for abt 7 days

Store for at least 8 weeks and enjoy. 😃

Edited by Oldbloke
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 6:22 PM, Oldbloke said:

Bit late.

I make this all the time. As mentioned just add BE 3, or light dried malt, can't go wrong.

My recipe for a mid strength is,

Can dark ale

500 grams dried malt. Light, ale or dark but as your new i suggest light.

100grams corn syrup. 

Brew between 18c to 23c. I brew at 19c

Bottle and prime after 9-10 days.

Keep warm for abt 7 days

Store for at least 8 weeks and enjoy. 😃

I recently bought a couple of cans of Lion Dark Ale pretty cheap recently. The plan is to eventually do a Toucan using one of them with a Coopers Stout, but in the meantime I might try out something similar to your recipe above, just to get a taste for the Lion extract.

• Like 3

It's a simple/easy recipe that seems to bring out the best in a home brew.

I vary the dried malt depending on the style.

Stouts usually get dark.

Darkish beer light or ale malt

Lagers, draughts, real ales get the light.

But having said that last year I bought abt 10kg of light dried malt real cheap, so, it went into nearly everything except stout.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

It's a simple/easy recipe that seems to bring out the best in a home brew.

I vary the dried malt depending on the style.

Stouts usually get dark.

Darkish beer light or ale malt

Lagers, draughts, real ales get the light.

But having said that last year I bought abt 10kg of light dried malt real cheap, so, it went into nearly everything except stout.

I put Maltexo (which is basically light liquid malt extract) into pretty much everything, including stouts. I think the Coopers Stout extract is good enough that everything goes with it.

• Like 3