Coopers Community

Fishing

1 hour ago, Back Brewing said:

Caught 10 of these on the Yorke Peninsula Wednesday going out tomorrow and hopefully catch another 6 to 12 if the winds backs off enough Resized_20240918_152026.thumb.jpeg.09ba91c39ab918a89d6ea3741b30bc45.jpeg

Ahhh beautiful. You cannot beat fresh southern calamari fella. Best in the world. Love your work. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Bit of a brag, a few years ago now.

This snapper was very skinny and 110cm long. Weighed at 12.5 kilo. I reckon it was underfed. Should have weighed a lot more at that length.

snapper.JPG

Nice catch Paley, I bet that went well for a few meals, Snapper cutlets on the barbie are excellent IMO.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nice catch Paley, I bet that went well for a few meals, Snapper cutlets on the barbie are excellent IMO.

Oh yes, a lot of fillets from that fish. I fillet my snapper ( well I used to when I could catch them ). Then bread crumb or beer batter. Beautiful, thick tasty white flesh.

A lot of people dont like the taste of bigger snapper, its probably because the fish wasn't looked after straight after being caught.  I bleed my fish straight away, and go on a seawater ice slurry.

Keeps them fresh as a daisy and in tip top condition.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Oh yes, a lot of fillets from that fish. I fillet my snapper ( well I used to when I could catch them ). Then bread crumb or beer batter. Beautiful, thick tasty white flesh.

A lot of people dont like the taste of bigger snapper, its probably because the fish wasn't looked after straight after being caught.  I bleed my fish straight away, and go on a seawater ice slurry.

Keeps them fresh as a daisy and in tip top condition.

Yeah, I agree with that, only way to appreciate the full potential of the fish. When is the ban being lifted? seems like ages anyone caught a snapper.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah, I agree with that, only way to appreciate the full potential of the fish. When is the ban being lifted? seems like ages anyone caught a snapper.

June 2026. So two years from now. My snapper drops are riddled with small, medium and big fish. Riddled.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Well, I suppose it's for the best, don't want to overfish the planet. Be worth waiting for I reckon.

Yep. Government have to severely restrict professional long lining in both Gulfs, or even no more long lining ever again. They've gone years now without relying on a snapper income.

Also reduce recreational bag limits to one big snapper over 60 cms, and five snapper between 38 - 59 cms per person.....which is half of what it used to be. That's plenty of fish. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Bit of a brag, a few years ago now.

This snapper was very skinny and 110cm long. Weighed at 12.5 kilo. I reckon it was underfed. Should have weighed a lot more at that length.

snapper.JPG

What a great pic Paley. Well played mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tricky Micky said:

What a great pic Paley. Well played mate.

Thanks ol chopster. Without trying to look like I'm full of it, thats not my biggest fish. I caught one over 14 kilo years ago, and that was from the shore with a surf rod and alvey reel.

Caught quite a few in my boat over 13 kilo. Snapper fishing was a passion of mine.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Caught quite a few in my boat over 13 kilo. Snapper fishing was a passion of mine.

Well done mate, great to see someone with a passion for fishing and even better when ya can land fish as big as that. Dips me lid to you mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I get older i sort of feel really bad keeping these big beautiful fish. They are breeders and the bigger snapper are around 20 - 30 years old. 

I treat every fish with total respect. They go on sea water ice slurry straight away and hopefully with no suffering, and sleep. 

When i go crabbing, my crabs get the same treatment.

I think now if i caught a big snapper I'd have to let her go to live another day. 

• Like 3