Coopers Community

NEW BREW

weggl

Was thinking along these lines. Do ya reckon it would be too bitter"Will accept all the advice I can get.[crying]

1KG DME - 1.5Kg LLME

AMARILLO 35g 30 MIN

AMARILLO 20g 10 MIN

CASCADE 20g 30 MIN

.3KG DEX-- US-05 YEAST 23L

IBU 46.6

or I have a 1kg of liquid wheat malt, wonder how that would go in place of the LDME?

Do ya reckon it would be too bitter

What may be 'too bitter' for some may not be 'too bitter' for others.

For me, a beer of 46 IBU with a lightish body and ABV of around 4.5% would be too bitter. But I am not a big fan of overly bitter beers.

Others may think it is great.

What are you trying to achieve with this beer?

Was thinking along these lines. Do ya reckon it would be too bitter"Will accept all the advice I can get.[crying]

1KG DME - 1.5Kg LLME

AMARILLO 35g 30 MIN

AMARILLO 20g 10 MIN

CASCADE 20g 30 MIN

IBU 46.6

or I have a 1kg of liquid wheat malt, wonder how that would go in place of the LDME?

Weggl, excuse this stupid question and anyone else could help by clarifying because I like following these threads. When a recipe is mentioned and hops are added eg. Amarillo 35g 30min, is this 30min at the boil or steeped?

Looks the goods' date='but I would remove the Dex and add 500gms of the wheat malt?[/quote']

I would go with this too. It would give it a bit more body and soften the bitterness a little. It would be more balanced.

I reckon that would be a nice drop.

For my opinion (FWIW) Id be trying to get the IBU's at 40 mins (I do this often) and then be banging in more quite late, as in 10mins, 5 mins and 0 mins... I like having a fair go at, say 15g(+) of each hop @ 0min... banging flavour and aroma..

This of course will probably not suit the amounts you have given.

in general I like to get to my IBU's at 40 or 60 min (need to use less) so I can use more hops late... but I do like a fair whack of flavour and aroma and can quite often be found doing 5 min additions from 20 min down with a whole bunch @ 0 min..

and lets not forget dry hopping which Im up to about 2g p/l[love]

I just did another hop order last night..

90g Citra

180g Galaxy

90g Amarillo

180g Wai iti

I think this will last me 1 month [lol]

100+kg of grain on order soon too now I have storage sorted[w00t]

Yob

Thanks fellas, have taken advice from yuall , have cut the IBU to 39

Switched the DME TO WheatLME. Increased the flavour by adding shorter boils. So what do ya reckon about this.?

1KG WLME - 1.5Kg LLME

AMARILLO 25g-40 MIN

AMARILLO 10g 10 MIN

AMARILLO 10g F/OUT

CASCADE 10g 30 MIN

CASCADE 10g 10 MIN

IBU 39 AH%4.9

Yeah that looks pretty good. Although personally I would probably drop the 30min Cascade to 15min. But that would suit me. Try what you have written as it looks like it will be a nice drop.

OT sorry to the OP - Hey Yob, I just vac sealed over 4kg hops and still have 2Kg to do. It took nearly 3 hours and all in nice little 50g bags [cool] Have you got your sealer yet?... you won't be looking back when you do.

Starting to look the goods of a nice xtract.. mmmmmm hops,

No sealer yet, no particular hurry as I won't get enough hops off the plant this year and have a metrical shet load in the freezer to use up in due course[roll] and next purchases are going to be A: 100kg grain B: Refractometer c: build stir plate so I can start to do slants [w00t]

Archived