Coopers Community

Brew not fermenting?

SmithR13

Hi all, I need some advice. Six days ago I started brewing the Coopers Irish Red Ale recipe from the Coopers DIYBeer site for 23 litres. I followed all the directions, but after having just tested the specific gravity it hasn't changed at all - it's presently at 1038 which is what the directions on the can say the OG should be. I'm thinking the yeast provided was no good, and wondering if I just throw in another fresh pack of yeast whether that will get the process started without being detrimental to the brew. Can anyone advise how to proceed?

Many thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SmithR13 said:

Hi all, I need some advice. Six days ago I started brewing the Coopers Irish Red Ale recipe from the Coopers DIYBeer site for 23 litres. I followed all the directions, but after having just tested the specific gravity it hasn't changed at all - it's presently at 1038 which is what the directions on the can say the OG should be. I'm thinking the yeast provided was no good, and wondering if I just throw in another fresh pack of yeast whether that will get the process started without being detrimental to the brew. Can anyone advise how to proceed?

Many thanks!

As others have said, smell it and taste it to see if it still seems fresh.  If all good, I would chuck a new yeast at it.  What was the Best before date on the bottom of the can of Australian Pale Ale?

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I've smelled and tasted the mix and it seems ok, just no fermenting happening.  The use-by date on the Coopers can was June 2025, and the brew temperature is around 22 degrees now - it was a bit warmer (around 24 degrees) when I added the yeast but within the supposed range for the yeast to work. I'll add another pack of yeast and see what happens - got nothing to lose!

Many thanks again for all your help.

• Like 4

On 1/16/2024 at 4:57 PM, SmithR13 said:

I've smelled and tasted the mix and it seems ok, just no fermenting happening.  The use-by date on the Coopers can was June 2025,

It would e highly unusual for a six-month-old sachet of yeast to be unviable, unless the sachet had been compromised in some way. Can you give me a call on 1300 654 455 so we can discuss this please? Cheers, Frank.

• Like 3