Coopers Community

Draught

Stoo

Hi all.

Just wondering how to work out my bulk priming weight for using a tin of coopers draught in my recipe.

When I look at those bulk priming calcs, I can't see any draught in the list, so what sort of volumes of CO2 would I expect to use to work out my priming sugar values ? Would 2.0 be too high or should I drop it down to say 1.5 ?

Thx Stu...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Stoo said:

Hi all.

Just wondering how to work out my bulk priming weight for using a tin of coopers draught in my recipe.

When I look at those bulk priming calcs, I can't see any draught in the list, so what sort of volumes of CO2 would I expect to use to work out my priming sugar values ? Would 2.0 be too high or should I drop it down to say 1.5 ?

Thx Stu...

Hi Stoo, I would say 2.4 volumes of CO2 is pretty typical for a Draught.  I think you would be looking at around 140g of sugar if bulk priming. 

I only ever bulk primed once.  When I bottle I use 8g/L for priming.  So 6g of sugar into each 750ml long neck bottle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Stoo said:

Hi all.

Thx Stu...

As a general rule of thumb, lighter beers (lagers, draughts) lean towards higher carbonation rates than heavier beers (stouts tending towards the lower end). I'd err on the higher side for a draught.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

I bulk prime 190grams sugar for 23 litres. 

But about 170gr for 23 ltr of stout.

Not sure dextrose will be the same.

The same mass of dextrose will provide less carbonation than sugar. Dextrose has 10% moisture.

5 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

I had an inkling it was different. Sooo, 150grams will result in more or less flatish beer.

I would expect it to be undercarbonated judging by the numbers in this thread and my side by side comparisons between sugar and dextrose priming.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kegory said:

I would expect it to be undercarbonated judging by the numbers in this thread and my side by side comparisons between sugar and dextrose priming.

Under carbonated but not flat. It should be drinkable but a little more fizz wouldn't hurt.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

I never have trouble with dextrose I always get good carbonation

I find you have to condition them at 19.5c to 20c

20231101_162238.jpg

20230830_161110.jpg

How much dextrose would you use for 23L? The higher temperature is interesting.

On 11/9/2023 at 5:37 PM, Oldbloke said:

I had an inkling it was different. Sooo, 150grams will result in more or less flatish beer.

So I used a tin of wheat malt and 300 grams of dextrose in the mix. Will the wheat malt not give increased fizz in the end result ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stoo said:

So I used a tin of wheat malt and 300 grams of dextrose in the mix. Will the wheat malt not give increased fizz in the end result ??

No, as I understand it the wheat malt will contribute to the size and retention of the head but it won't add to the carbonation. The 300 grams of dextrose in the mix will be fermented into alcohol. Only the dextrose you add after fermentation as a priming sugar will contribute to the carbonation.

I am by no means an expert in anything brewing related really I've just been reading stuff including this thread and running my own little bottle priming exbeeriments. You'll be able to judge yourself but I reckon it will be carbonated but probably a little more would be better. I could be wrong, though, it may be perfect.

Prior to my last batch I'd only ever bottle primed like BB & Phil. My last brew was my first attempt at batch priming but I haven't tasted it yet. I used 120g of dextrose in a 20L batch which is less than you used but it was an Irish Red Ale so it shouldn't have as much fizz as a draught.

• Thanks 1

Here is a handy/useful/interesting Carbonation Priming Chart.

Note that residual CO2 levels vary according to the fermentation temperature. Residual CO2 levels also vary according to altitude. It's all chemistry and physics and if I'd known I was going to be homebrewing I may have paid more attention in school.

As you can see most styles have a range of CO2 rather than a set amount. Many/most people seem to settle on standard rate and apply it to all their brews because it's just more convenient that way. Some people, especially those that like to brew for competitions, will calculate an exact amount for the style they are brewing of whatever priming sugar they are using and apply it to each bottle. Each to their own.

Draught isn't really a style, technically it's a delivery method (from a keg rather than a bottle), so it doesn't usually appear in such charts. But these days "draughts" are usually lagers and any number of styles can be found "on draught" in pubs. When I first bought beers in pubs, way back in the Bronze Age, the only beer on tap was Carlton Draught (except for a couple of places that had Guinness) and anything else was only available in bottles or cans.

• Thanks 1

@Kegory thx mate. Clearer picture now. Should of added just a bit more. Went with 160g but could have upped it to 190 g without consequence I'd say. 1g per bottle more. Doesn't seem like a lot but guessing it is. Will let you know in a cpl weeks. Cheers.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Stoo said:

@Kegory thx mate. Clearer picture now. Should of added just a bit more. Went with 160g but could have upped it to 190 g without consequence I'd say. 1g per bottle more. Doesn't seem like a lot but guessing it is. Will let you know in a cpl weeks. Cheers.

Here are a couple of pictures of my earliest priming experiments. The size of the head will give you an indication of the carbonation rate.

My beer, on the left, was primed with two carbonation drops in a 750ml bottle (the recommended amount).

IMG_20230614_180807013.thumb.jpg.c300a365070921ed69e36116f1e3e772.jpg

The next one is the same beer primed with two carbonation drops in a 650ml bottle (something around 15% more)

IMG_20230707_191405895.thumb.jpg.388bdfb19bfa4b5e978bb27fe23affb9.jpg

The first one could have done with a little more fizz and the second a little less but they were both ok to drink. I reckon two carbonation drops in a 700ml bottle would have got pretty close to the carbonation rate in Coopers Sparkling Ale.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Carbonation looks good

Cheers. Yeah, I reckon that's comfortably within the target zone for the style. I hope they all come out like that. I've heard about other people's misadventures with bulk priming and this was my first attempt so I've got my fingers crossed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:
8 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Looks good mate a nice tight head and nice carbonation how did it taste?

Pretty good actually considering it was a draught tin.

Holding head all the way.

Cascade hops X 15g so nothing overly bitter.

Cheers

• Haha 1