Coopers Community

How do you "care" for bottled brew as it ages?

StephenN5

Once the beer is bottled, should it be left undisturbed and allow the sediment to just collect at the bottom of the bottle during the weeks/months of aging -- OR, is it "helpful" to periodically (once a week?) shake the bottles to remix the brew and sediment for a more "complete" secondary fermentation. I already understand about the amber bottle color and darkness and temp for strage. What about mixing or shaking the bottles?

This is a "rookie" question asked by a sincere Rookie.

Best, Steve

Hi Steve - First up, never shake the bottles. Try to keep your bottles above 18C for the first couple of weeks to allow carbonation to occur and then just keep them somewhere cool and dark until they are ready to drink (be that months or years).

The only time you may want to stir up the yeast again is if you keep them in too cool a temp for the first couple of weeks and your beer doesn't carbonate because the yeast has gone to sleep. In this situation you would gently rouse the yeast from the bottom and store them above 18C.

Thank you!

I guess I can stop shaking the 30 bottles of Lager that I have aging. They were bottled just two weeks ago, so maybe I haven't "damaged" the brew too much.

From here on out -- no shaking!!

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Steve

Archived