Coopers Community

Brewery Closures

Classic Brewing Co

On 3/14/2024 at 4:27 PM, Hoppy81 said:

This brewery has had its ups and downs since going into recievership

it was looking as if  they was dead and gone ,  however  though they managed some how to get back while stocks lasted and closed the taproom   only to Reopen  few weeks ago ago and saying they was back for good.

now they have  done a bit of back flip  and will be closing the doors for good this time in Feb 2025

They will be making 4 last limited beers    to mark this occasion.

As most of you know now, we are closing in February next year.
We want to go out in style! so what better way to do that than to brew 4 limiteds of our best as the last limiteds we do.
We need your help though! Here are 9 of our favourites, please pick your favourite out of the list and the 4 beers with the most votes will be brewed as the final 4! Get voting!
1. Survivor Type
2. Fortune and Glory
3. Tempest
4. DKAT Simcoe
5. Viper Pit
6. Photosphere
7. Circling Sharks
8. Keyboard Warrior
9. Double Juice Train

Also on another Note  as times are getting tougher for  Inderpendant Craft breweries  (excludes Coopers etc, not saying thay dont have tough times either)  2  Tasmanian Breweries which we dont see much of on the  mainland   are  joing forces  so to speak by remaining independant in a new Brewing shed  in Huntingfield Tasmania (Near Kingston Tasmania)  the 2 breweries are

1. Last rights based in Cambridge Tasmania  
2. T-Bone Brewing based in North Hobart, Tasmania

What they essentially be doing  is Keeping  thir own taprooms  in Cambridge and North Hobart and opening up the brewery for food and beers and music  in Huntifield estate  and in the brewery  they will share  the taps  eg if they have 12 taps   both will get 6 taps each for there  core beers.

Not only that but they will also be sharing the costs of bringing the grain,hops yeast etc  into the factory  to save on the rising costs

I just wonder if this is successful for these 2 breweries will other breweries  follow suit, to stay around if it is viable

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Its happening all over the world, here we have a minimum price of grog that means you cannot sell anything lower that 50p per unit of alcohol approx $1,at the end of this month it goes up to 65p per unit, coupled with the smoking ban in pubs it's killing smaller brewers as, 1 people dont want to leave their drinks to smoke, 2 beer gardens are really seasonal here and no one wants to stand shivering while smoking with your pint, 3 they are talking of banning smoking in beer gardens so you need to smoke further away from your pint. Governments are killing the pleasures of the working man!

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, TheBeerMonster said:

Its happening all over the world, here we have a minimum price of grog that means you cannot sell anything lower that 50p per unit of alcohol approx $1,at the end of this month it goes up to 65p per unit, coupled with the smoking ban in pubs it's killing smaller brewers as, 1 people dont want to leave their drinks to smoke, 2 beer gardens are really seasonal here and no one wants to stand shivering while smoking with your pint, 3 they are talking of banning smoking in beer gardens so you need to smoke further away from your pint. Governments are killing the pleasures of the working man!

Peoples love of craft beer, the idea of supporting small local business, enjoying a meal in these independent breweries should be enough to keep them going.

I doubt a smoking ban would affect them too much as most folk these days look to escape cigarette smoke in public places, especially when food is involved, a beer garden is all about enjoying a beer in the fresh air - the great outdoors.

The price of beer is bad enough, I don't know how those that choose to smoke can afford both let alone the health implications.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TheBeerMonster said:

i think this is just a cop out statement   to just blame the government becuase   a smoker is being impacted and told to smoke outside and away of public places that serves food and drink 
why should a non smoker  have to digest  your second hand smoke  while they are enjoying a good beverage and tucker 

when non smoker breathes in your plume of smoke   they are not just breating in the toxins of the smoke they are also breating in your bad germs that you are expelling from your body  , in which could be covid 19 . 

its your right to smoke if you choose too  , but it is not your right to impact your filthy habits onto others that do not want to consume your 2nd hand smoke 

Craft beer is expensive exercise while ingrediats are  reasonable costs,  its the power , water , increasing cost of rents,  the big taxes that is placed on the finishing products  , even if the craft brewery doesnt sell their  alcohol  this still have to pay the  excise on the alcohol they produced.  

the craft brewies do this  as a love  for brewing  they dont do it becuase its a job that someone has to do .

the smoking bans  should have come in years ago  

but hey what would i know being a non smoker   (oh i used to be a heavy smoker  and i smoked white ox and would go through a pack of white ox with in a day and 1/2)

i agreement with @Classic Brewing Co

• Haha 1

@ozdevil how is breathing out smoke likely to pass on germs and covid 19 any more than breathing? I would think the chemicals in smokes would be enough to kill all that.

Lots of places have separate smoking areas anyway. Granted the smaller beer gardens find it hard to offer. 

Really surprised with all the germs out there you would bring up the big C. 

Heaps of flue strains worse that that for the Majority of people. 

I would have thought all those test sticks up your nose while driving years ago would have got you on the right track in regards to what germs are really bad. 

Simple just don't test and you won't know 🤟

On 9/22/2024 at 11:08 AM, ozdevil said:

i think this is just a cop out statement   to just blame the government becuase   a smoker is being impacted and told to smoke outside and away of public places that serves food and drink 
why should a non smoker  have to digest  your second hand smoke  while they are enjoying a good beverage and tucker 

when non smoker breathes in your plume of smoke   they are not just breating in the toxins of the smoke they are also breating in your bad germs that you are expelling from your body  , in which could be covid 19 . 

its your right to smoke if you choose too  , but it is not your right to impact your filthy habits onto others that do not want to consume your 2nd hand smoke 

Craft beer is expensive exercise while ingrediats are  reasonable costs,  its the power , water , increasing cost of rents,  the big taxes that is placed on the finishing products  , even if the craft brewery doesnt sell their  alcohol  this still have to pay the  excise on the alcohol they produced.  

the craft brewies do this  as a love  for brewing  they dont do it becuase its a job that someone has to do .

the smoking bans  should have come in years ago  

but hey what would i know being a non smoker   (oh i used to be a heavy smoker  and i smoked white ox and would go through a pack of white ox with in a day and 1/2)

i agreement with @Classic Brewing Co

Yeah, anyone who smokes these days clearly doesn't get it.

Smoking will kill you or at best cause all sorts of other terrible diseases, why would anyone want to breathe in their secondhand smoke & be near their stinking ashtrays.

If anyone wants to smoke let them but go stand on the freeway & smoke. 🤣  🚚

On 9/22/2024 at 8:49 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

The price of beer is bad enough, I don't know how those that choose to smoke can afford both let alone the health implications.

Cigarettes aren't anywhere near as expensive overseas as they are here. They should be but aren't. I think in Germany, you can still pick up a pack of smokes for a tenner, whereas here, you pay well over $40 for a pack of 20s. I remember Mum sending us to the cigarette vending machine around the corner to draw a pack for a buck when we were kids. Back then, there was always a vending machine within a short walk. I quit the death sticks some ten years ago, and based on the prices back then, I by now saved at least 60 grand...not that I know what happened to that dosh 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

Cigarettes aren't anywhere near as expensive overseas as they are here. They should be but aren't. I think in Germany, you can still pick up a pack of smokes for a tenner, whereas here, you pay well over $40 for a pack of 20s. I remember Mum sending us to the cigarette vending machine around the corner to draw a pack for a buck when we were kids. Back then, there was always a vending machine within a short walk. I quit the death sticks some ten years ago, and based on the prices back then, I by now saved at least 60 grand...not that I know what happened to that dosh 🙂 

I was behind an old lady at Coles recently & she spent $27.00 on groceries which was soft drink, sweet biscuits, frozen dinner meals etc. & then forked out $200.00 for cigarettes.

They are always complaining about the cost of living, but I think some need to revise their weekly budget. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I was behind an old lady at Coles recently & she spent $27.00 on groceries which was soft drink, sweet biscuits, frozen dinner meals etc. & then forked out $200.00 for cigarettes.

They are always complaining about the cost of living, but I think some need to revise their weekly budget. 😉

I used to smoke two packs of 30s and a pouch of tobacco per week. In today's prices, this would be well over $200. Who can afford to smoke, considering most people pay well over $400/w in rent? Then, they start vaping because it is "healthier" and cheaper. Well, healthier it isn't because you are inhaling other stuff than combustion byproducts and those puffs of steam coming out of your mouth don't look cool either. Can you imagine Bruce Willis in Die Hard crawling down an aircon duct with a vape in his mouth? Get real 🙂 Just quit. if you really want to, it is quite easy.  Of my last pack, I kept one cigarette in its pack in the car. I drove around with this ciggy for years, literally. As long as I had that one, I was in control. I opted not to smoke, and that helped me psychologically. It was symbolic of the first cigarette I didn't smoke. Had I thrown it out, I could have argued I don't smoke because I don't have any. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I used to smoke two packs of 30s and a pouch of tobacco per week. In today's prices, this would be well over $200. Who can afford to smoke, considering most people pay well over $400/w in rent? Then, they start vaping because it is "healthier" and cheaper. Well, healthier it isn't because you are inhaling other stuff than combustion byproducts and those puffs of steam coming out of your mouth don't look cool either. Can you imagine Bruce Willis in Die Hard crawling down an aircon duct with a vape in his mouth? Get real 🙂 Just quit. if you really want to, it is quite easy.  Of my last pack, I kept one cigarette in its pack in the car. I drove around with this ciggy for years, literally. As long as I had that one, I was in control. I opted not to smoke, and that helped me psychologically. It was symbolic of the first cigarette I didn't smoke. Had I thrown it out, I could have argued I don't smoke because I don't have any. 

I gave up 40 years go just like that, no medication, counselling, lollie's or whatever, just wanted to.

I can't stand even being near a smoker these days not that I encounter many.

The people that say it's hard to give up simply don't want to IMO.

• Like 3

I used to smoke 50 packs of cigarettes a day but since I lost one of my lungs I cut my smoking in half.

Copyright ©️ - R.Zimmerman - American Cancer Society (A Cheech and Chong character)🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Beerdo said:

I used to smoke 50 packs of cigarettes a day but since I lost one of my lungs I cut my smoking in half.

Copyright ©️ - R.Zimmerman - American Cancer Society (A Cheech and Chong character)🤣

Ha Ha, Beerdo, I have seen people in wheelchairs with legs missing & gas tanks behind them with a tube up their nose still lighting up a smoke. Pretty sad really.

• Sad 1

On 9/26/2024 at 11:33 AM, Beerdo said:

Arrrr Classic Cheech n Chong - I saw those guys live in Perth many many years ago at Her Majesty’s Theatre. 
When Cheech looked up at me in the balcony, my eyes were a lot reder than his was. It freaked him out 😉🤣😂🤣

• Haha 6