Coopers Community

Alcohol content be1 and LDM

Hey guys went and bought my brew supplies today sadly there was no stout kit or dark ale so a little annoyed however i decided since they had a real ale kit i would make a unreal ale with 1kg be1 and 500g LDM This is the question i have the be1 will create an alc volume of 4.2% and the LDM 3.8% will it create a total of approx 8% as i have calculated?

Yeah on the back of the be1 and LDM it says approx alcohol on each pack i added the percentages up and was sitting there going what the hell this can't be right 5% seems more realistic but the true way to work it out is using the formula with the OG anf FG but yeah didn't make sense so i thought gotta ask the professionals here to see if it was right or wrong [cool]

Alcohol doesn't add up that way. The more malt and sugar you put in the more alcohol you get. 8% is not that high. Being an export stout drinker 7% is the average.[biggrin]

Although this is not wrong but it probably should read, "The more fermentables you put in the more alcohol you get. Provided you also have the correct yeast count to ferment it" [rightful]

Malt and sugar are fermentable but so are a lot of other ingredients. ie. Golden Syrup, Honey, Dextrose, Molasses, Caramel, Fruits, Lollies, Maple Syrup etc. all of which are partly, or fully, fermentable which in turn raises the ABV%.

Alcohol doesn't add up that way. The more malt and sugar you put in the more alcohol you get. 8% is not that high. Being an export stout drinker 7% is the average.[biggrin]

Although this is not wrong but it probably should read, "The more fermentables you put in the more alcohol you get. Provided you also have the correct yeast count to ferment it" [rightful]

Malt and sugar are fermentable but so are a lot of other ingredients. ie. Golden Syrup, Honey, Dextrose, Molasses, Caramel, Fruits, Lollies, Maple Syrup etc. all of which are partly, or fully, fermentable which in turn raises the ABV%.

That is interesting I thought didn't matter what you put in the yeast multiplies and consumes it!

hell no... yeast can only work up to a certain percentage of alc concentration, this varies for different yeast strains.

Attenuation is what you need to understand about yeast here, some are highly attenuative some are medium and some are low.

You need to take care of your yeast and provide the ideal conditions to get the best results from them, if you are slack and dont give a sh*t then you will be rewarded with off flavours and probably chronic hangovers.

Yob

So far i have followed recipe's used the kit yeast etc knew they need good conditions

How so?

Kit yeast as far as I am concerned is an unknown quantum, how long has it sat on the shelf in the store? was it shipped from the factory in a Refrigerated truck or in 40'c in on a train? Kit yeast does not have an expiery date printed on it as far as I can remember... Dry Yeast, when in storage should be refrigerated... I dont EVER see this happening in any store Ive been into

Kit yeast makes great nutrient but I NEVER use it for fermenting... well.. I did once [lol]

So far i have followed recipe's used the kit yeast etc knew they need good conditions

How so?

Kit yeast as far as I am concerned is an unknown quantum, how long has it sat on the shelf in the store? was it shipped from the factory in a Refrigerated truck or in 40'c in on a train? Kit yeast does not have an expiery date printed on it as far as I can remember... Dry Yeast, when in storage should be refrigerated... I dont EVER see this happening in any store Ive been into

Kit yeast makes great nutrient but I NEVER use it for fermenting... well.. I did once [lol]

I knew they needed the right conditions ie food as in sugars needed the right temp to keep happy etc they don't like sudden temp changes once in the beer they don't like to be exposed to oxygen etc that is far as i know. But you were saying you use it for nutrient how so? im keen to learn more I have some saf ale o4 in the fridge atm my mate told me i should use that instead but i used the kit yeast so far was going to use it on my dark ale if i could of got my hands on the kit :( however I have my real ale going atm just hoping the yeast takes off over night or during tomorrow we see.

The Coopers kit yeasts have a manufacture date (Julian system) printed on them. The are definitely best kept in the fridge, but I have used some over a year old stored at room temperature + and they have still done the job happily. For specific brews I use fancy yeasts, but the kit yeast is very effective and very reliable for most brews. There is no guarantee the fancy dry yeasts have been stored any better!

Cooper's kit yeasts are far better than the majority kit yeasts available on the market imo. I use the kit yeast when I have no other and even though it is not as good, I haven't had any problems with it.

If I buy yeast I too make sure it comes from a LHBS that stores it in the fridge. I have 2 shops near me and one stores hops on the shelf in the shop so I didn't even bother asking about the yeast. The other is all in the fridge.

There is certainly more guarantee that the "fancy yeasts" have been stored in better conditions depending where it is purchased. However, I can not recall any place, or heard of any place, in Australia that store kits in the fridge and it is not as if they remove the yeasts from the kits to store them correctly.

I can't argue with the comments here about yeasts as I have only used the kit yeasts, however here is my 5 cents worth.

The "fancy" yeasts may be presented better for the consumer by being stored in a fridge at the LHBS, but how were they transported there? They could be in the same courier truck as the kit yeasts.

I purchase all my Coopers cans at Big W. They are on a shelf in an airconditioned store. Whilst not refrigerated, it is always cool & I wouldn't imagine yeasts purchased in a LHBS would be in much better condition.

I have 2 shops near me and one stores hops on the shelf in the shop so I didn't even bother asking about the yeast.

Take my word for it Bill, the yeast is hanging on the wall next to the Hops. Now I am worried. I used US05 from this place in my Fruit Salad, the Foam from the Krausen never subsided and I scooped it off when I bottled. Whereas my FSA doesn't taste off it isn't what I expected and I can't imagine everyone on here would be raving about it. Perhaps it was the yeast as the hops came from the other shop with the fridge. It isn't disgusting but I am resigned to leaving it in the bottle longer, even skipping over this batch in the hope that it will improve.

There is certainly more guarantee that the "fancy yeasts" have been stored in better conditions depending where it is purchased.

Well, yes "fancy yeasts" was a lame description, but it beat listing them individually, and y'all got what I meant. [tongue]

I have 2 shops near me and one stores hops on the shelf in the shop so I didn't even bother asking about the yeast.

Take my word for it Bill, the yeast is hanging on the wall next to the Hops. Now I am worried. I used US05 from this place in my Fruit Salad, the Foam from the Krausen never subsided and I scooped it off when I bottled. Whereas my FSA doesn't taste off it isn't what I expected and I can't imagine everyone on here would be raving about it. Perhaps it was the yeast as the hops came from the other shop with the fridge. It isn't disgusting but I am resigned to leaving it in the bottle longer, even skipping over this batch in the hope that it will improve.

The krausen that US05 produces sometimes won't die. Nothing to worry about though, just stop bottling the same as you would the trub. i.e. when it starts getting sucked through your tap. The tap will take most the liquid between the krausen and the trub, no probs. [joyful]

Storing yeast on the shelf will subject the yeast to weather conditions and it is heat that will kill off viable cells in the packs. All it really means that you may be under pitching the yeast which in turn will stress it out and you will experience things like:

A longer lag time which in turn will subject your brew to more chance of infection.

Under-attenuation

Cidery or Green Apple flavours

Bitter

Astringent

Estery

Solventy

Fruity

I can't argue with the comments here about yeasts as I have only used the kit yeasts, however here is my 5 cents worth.

The "fancy" yeasts may be presented better for the consumer by being stored in a fridge at the LHBS, but how were they transported there? They could be in the same courier truck as the kit yeasts.

I purchase all my Coopers cans at Big W. They are on a shelf in an airconditioned store. Whilst not refrigerated, it is always cool & I wouldn't imagine yeasts purchased in a LHBS would be in much better condition.

Most super markets or major stores I believe are airconditioned at around 20-22C and i would not suggest this to be a good temp to have yeast stored and when I clearly see yeasts taken from a fridge and stored in a fridge at my LHBS how do you come to the conclusion that yeast stored this way in the LHBS would not be in better condition?

BigW stored at 20-22C compared to LHBS stored at 2-4C I know which one I would be buying.

Companies such as White labs ship in cooled containers, have a read HERE

Other suppliers I believe do similar...

If you think that BigW knows anything about the yeast in those packets you are mistaken..

LHBS's know about and care for their products (reliable ones anyway) and know the difference between them and what they do and what they are best for.

It's foolish to think that Yeast from a LHBS is not better cared for.

Yob

Archived