Coopers Community

Stout idea

Just wondering if i made a stout with 1 can of OS Stout 1kg Brew enhancer 2 400/500 Grams of dark brown sugar and 500 Grams of LDM does that sound like a good idea im not game enough to hop my beer yet so i thought before i do my next batch after this stout i will dry hop does this recipe sound like it would turn out good im after the port like flavor/kick hence the dark brown sugar

To be honest i have used them recently but wont be again i really doubt it has in it what they say. I have used BE2 which should contain 250 grams of light dry malt. in using it i have found no colour difference in beer but if i add 250 grams myself which have done before it comes out slightly darker. And also alcohol content 400 grams of BE1 is malto dextrin which doesnt ferment its cheap to buy individually so why not use a 1KG of dextrose and a 500 gram bag of Malto dextrin same price as buying BE1 and more alcohol and still get more head retention

My first stout ever made is still my favourite...

1 Can of Coopers OS Stout

1 Can of Coopers OS Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

Both Kit yeasts

23L (Filled to 18L for the first few days then gently topped up to 23L with cool boiled water - the fermentation is somewhat volcanic)

Wayne, the DIY kit was designed by our man at Coopers to handle the more volcanic brews, I think it will be just fine. I can second Muddy's stout recipe, although my (golden) sledgehammer stout is one of the reasons I haven't posted around these parts for so long...

Dex in stout [crying] All i brewed from 1982 to 2003 were Stouts Bocks and Porters and at the start Dex was the wizz bang additive 1 can of OS stout a Kilo of Dex to 15 to 18 litres and you were off and racing, but to this day i hate dex in my stouts. Stouts are meant to be eaten not drunk especially with the consistancy of water. If you want to bulk one up use malt, Lactose (is non fermentable but adds sweetness and a nice head and body), or 1 of 100 different additives just leave the Dex out. 2cans OS stout a kilo of Amber LME and both yeasts, you wont want any dinner.

The DIY kit will handle some very very heavy krausen activity as witnessed when i did my Grand Final Stout, it didnt go anywhere near clearing the Krausen Collar.

Glad to hear the DIY kit will handle stouts as I LOOOOVE them also LOOOOOVE me ales since this is my second brew i think i will go with what i originally planned as another bloke suggested to add dark brown sugar I want to give it a shot also i read on a couple other forums that dark brown sugar is good in it so i have my heart set on it also will add LDM as well to give it a bit more body. However if this turns out good I will do what muddy recommended as it seems everyone LOOOOVES it hehe Thanks guys for all the advice again love this forum [biggrin]

Tony, 2 x OS Stouts and an amber LME? I have just those ingredients lying around - am I brave enough to try that after the incapacitation that followed the stout/dark/dex brew?

Yeah.

Heres my Grand Final stout [love]

2x 1.7kg Coopers Stout

1kg Light DME

500g Lactose

15ml Liquorice Extract

25g Fuggles dry hopped into the FV before pitching the yeast

2x sachets the kit yeast

Had a bottle the other day and want more but i only have 1 left

Tony, 2 x OS Stouts and an amber LME? I have just those ingredients lying around - am I brave enough to try that after the incapacitation that followed the stout/dark/dex brew?

Yeah.

Heres my Grand Final stout [love]

2x 1.7kg Coopers Stout

1kg Light DME

500g Lactose

15ml Liquorice Extract

25g Fuggles dry hopped into the FV before pitching the yeast

2x sachets the kit yeast

Had a bottle the other day and want more but i only have 1 left

Might make that one for SWMBO she likes liquorice I don't but i think she will love it will bookmark this thread so i have the recipe on hand [happy]

Some smashing stout ideas, love the stuff myself. "Stout should be eaten not drunk" truer words were never said, I remember an old Coopers ad with a bottle of Best Extra with a knife and fork on either side.

Planning a semi-chocolate / mocha stout.

1 can OS Stout

300g Choc Malt grains

200g Dark malt or maybe Crystal malt grains

1kg light dry malt extract

200g Dex (maybe, unless the other ingredients will give enough alcohol volume)

Fuggles or Golding for flavour / aroma boiled with the grain water and some of the light dry malt extract.

Here's where the mocha bit comes in. I like some burnt coffee flavour in my beer and we got a good espresso machien for Christmas so was thinking of adding 250-500ml of espresso to the FV. Anyone experimented with coffee in brewing?

Undecided whether to brew at 18 or the full 23 litres yet.

Dex in stout [crying] All i brewed from 1982 to 2003 were Stouts Bocks and Porters and at the start Dex was the wizz bang additive 1 can of OS stout a Kilo of Dex to 15 to 18 litres and you were off and racing, but to this day i hate dex in my stouts. Stouts are meant to be eaten not drunk especially with the consistancy of water. If you want to bulk one up use malt, Lactose (is non fermentable but adds sweetness and a nice head and body), or 1 of 100 different additives just leave the Dex out. 2cans OS stout a kilo of Amber LME and both yeasts, you wont want any dinner.

The DIY kit will handle some very very heavy krausen activity as witnessed when i did my Grand Final Stout, it didnt go anywhere near clearing the Krausen Collar.

I stand by the recipe (originally recommended by PB2 on these very pages)...dextrose and all - It is intended to replicate Coopers Best Extra of yesteryear and it does it so admirably.

I stand by the recipe (originally recommended by PB2 on these very pages)...dextrose and all - It is intended to replicate Coopers Best Extra of yesteryear and it does it so admirably.

Dex has no place in a stout in my house is all iam saying and i stand by it [biggrin]

All i used to drink back in the day was Coopers Best Extra and CUB Invalid Stout, then i discovered homebrewing.

Orignally thought i was doing good stouts until i got rid of the dex and discovered malt, i then immediately thought that both those stouts were to watery and propped up ABV wise by dex and only ever drank the coopers again until got some bottles for homebrewing.

None of the original stouts that i like to try and replicate had Dex in them so i refrain from using it.

Heres one i have in my notes. Havent tried it yet but i will after my holidays in March

Heres a basic one for anyone wanting to go from all extract and add a few speicalty grains

Tre Cool Stout

1.5kg Pale DME

1.5kg Dark DME

100g Cracked Black Malt

20g golding 20g of fuggles

Bring 3 litres of water to the boil

Add the dry malt and hops and simmer for 35mins

Flame out add the Crushed black grain and stand for 30minutes

Strain ingredients in the FV make up to 18litres

Still tweaking this one and wont know until i have the brew done did it work out properly.

Anway if people want to use Dex in stout then go for it i wont be putting it in mine, would rather add more malts. I dont mind adding it to Lager or a Pilsner or a Ceveza but stouts never.

Fair enough - I must admit I have no real emotions either way...for me stouts are like a cold - generally avoided but you have to have one occasionally [sideways]

Then again i live on them, my beer of choice.

Loving IPA's at the moment though

Fair enough - I must admit I have no real emotions either way...for me stouts are like a cold - generally avoided but you have to have one occasionally [sideways]

Then again i live on them, my beer of choice.

Loving IPA's at the moment though

I'll happily meet you in the middle then - I love IPA's [love]

So i gather ultimately it is brewers choice really with what you use ie. dex be1 or 2 etc i think i might try the dextrose first if i like it i stick to it if not can always try using malt etc well will be sing LDM in the stout anyhow to give it more body but other than that it can be confusing as everyone has different preferences with what they use and this will be my second batch was considering a real ale but i like my stouts as much as i like my ales so it is a tough decision.

So i gather ultimately it is brewers choice really with what you use ie. dex be1 or 2 etc i think i might try the dextrose first if i like it i stick to it if not can always try using malt etc well will be sing LDM in the stout anyhow to give it more body but other than that it can be confusing as everyone has different preferences with what they use and this will be my second batch was considering a real ale but i like my stouts as much as i like my ales so it is a tough decision.

Everything is the brewers choice and we all have different tastes.

Dex adds ABV and no flavour, Malt adds body and taste and ABV, BE1 and BE2 dont enter into my equasion for a recipe but if you have em why no use them [cool]

Heres how i roughly calculate off the top of my head what i need when i am in the brew shop buying, these are approimates but close

1KG dextrose=1.2KG DME

1kg DME =1.25 LME

or Liquid malt is 75% fermentable, DME a little better at around 80 or 85%, dex close to 100% but has no flavour.

If i am going to combine unhopped malt extract LEM and DME and not use a kit i use

1kg DME and 1.5 KG LME

or 2.5kg of DME

or 3KG LME

these are my base malts amounts for a brew.

These are just figures i have been using for years and a aprroximate but do the job.

Sugar has a place in stouts. Look at tropical stouts - ABC, Royal Extra, Lion etc. It all depends on the beer. Also important is the temperature. Stout's should be consumed around 12/13 degrees. Contrasting that to room temperature is also interesting. Stout is all about the malt, so to speak, just like hops define an IPA.

Archived