Coopers Community

Stout idea

Sugar has a place in stouts. Look at tropical stouts - ABC' date=' Royal Extra, Lion etc. It all depends on the beer. Also important is the temperature. Stout's should be consumed around 12/13 degrees. Contrasting that to room temperature is also interesting. Stout is all about the malt, so to speak, just like hops define an IPA.[/quote']

I have drank enough stout from all over the world in the last 40yrs to come to the conclusion that Dex and sucros have no place in them except for priming, its about the pure malt and the hops (usually fuggles or golding or both)and has been since the early 1800's. I am more traditionalist with stout than any other brew and absolutly refuse to compromise the taste for adding ABV using Dex, i may as well pee in there as well.

Stouts have been given as a meal and also to aid the sick, not as drink of water from a tap. [rightful]

Stout means Strong and were originally made as a strong Porter typically 7% to 8% using roasted malt or barley, hops, water and yeast (cant see any Dex in there). Stouts were traditionally the generic term for the strongest or stoutest porters. If its got a high ABV due to the addition of Dex and heaven forbid sugar to me it isnt a stout and not even a porter as these go hand in hand, at best a high ABV dark ale thats lacking malt.

You can call beer any name you like but it doesnt mean it is.

Had my rant going back to designing the huge extract and grains Stout i am in the middle of from a heap of recipes i have from the early 1800's [biggrin] Cant wait to be drinking this in winter

I thought about making stout to watch the footy with this year in winter thought let it mature for a couple months and it will be tops :) I will be pissed off if the brew shop has sold out of them again. fingers crossed the bloke said more were coming in tomorrow or tuesday :) failing the stout this week I will make an Ale of some description and may do some dry hopping with that keen to give it a shot i must say but nervous on the other hand too

Archived