Coopers Community

To Dry Hop or not?

ColmR

Cheers lads.

I reckon that my piece of muslin should be large enough but if anyone has a link to a readily available household product that would potentially work better please let me know. Bill mentioned a chux cloth?

Another question and I suppose it's directed at Yob. I read in one of your other posts about adding hops at what looked at times during a boil. Am I right in thinking that? Are you actually boiling the tin of wort?

Mate, trust me, stockings are the best. They are cheap (just boil to sterilise and to remove colour). The hops will expand enormously so give them plenty of room and tie off with a knot. Dont use the whole leg though, especially if your're Keith Urban (too many hops in that leg length,Nic's not his).[biggrin]

I can fit 40g comfortably in 1 ball

You can do 40g for sure but as I said.....

To get the most from your hops' date=' I suggest probably no more than 20g as the do need a bit of room to expand and not be too crowded.[/quote']

Never thought of a pair of tights. Lol.

So I threw in the bag of hops and they floated on top. Then I remembered that one of you mentioned weighing it down. So I sterilised a spoon, had it ready to pop into the bag of hops. Missed! Dropped right into the beer. Lol. Presume that's not going to be a biggy. Ah sure it's Friday night and I've had a couple of beers. These things happen.

It's amazing the mistakes one makes when learning to brew.

I can fit 40g comfortably in 1 ball

Unless it is big ball you wont be getting the most out of your hops by putting 40g in - they really need some "breathing space" for all the hoppy goodness to infuse into your beer.

hopstrainer.jpg

Cheers I will cut my serve in half for better infusion. I want to grow some Galaxy and Hallertau hop plants where do you get them

[biggrin]

That looks like a bigger ball than what I have seen Andrew. If that is 40g in there it looks pretty good to me.

Yob is the green thumb around here. I haven't had a chance to grow any hops but Yob has a nice garden.

Nevertheless, it is the wrong time of the year to be worried about getting some hop rhizomes now. I can't imagine anyone wanting to dig up their hops to supply at the moment. It is best to wait until Winter and they will become abundant then get some rhizomes [biggrin]

In the meant ime I guess it wouldn't hurt to prepare the soil etc. Yob should be able to help with that.

Galaxy is a proprietary product and cannot be bought. [crying] I wish I knew where they were grown [bandit]

Hallertau I 'think' can be found at the right time of year.

I have Pride of Ringwood (Thats where I live[cool] ) Cascade, Chinook, Tett and Goldings, mostly first year plants and will probably not produce flowers this year.. one of my chinooks is a second year plant and I will get a few flowers.

chinook.jpg]chinook flowers[/url]

http://porandtett.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.usporandtett.jpg]POR and Tett[/url]

http://hopyard.jpg

And now we know

time for a drive [bandit] [lol] [love]

Hey Yob

I had to run an errand for SWMBO on Friday. Involved a drive up the valley to visit her Aunt who lives in the heart of Bushy Park, ie. on the boundary of Bushy Park Estates. Lovely hops growing in many of the fields. She is going to see if she can source some (above board), pellets or flowers not plants. I figure if I live this close and can buy them fresh (and cheap)I don't need to grow them.

I saw a post from PB2 regarding hops, interestingly there was a local elderly lady visiting on the day and when I asked about hops she said "You know they help you sleep, put some under your pillow and see".

I saw a post from PB2 regarding hops, interestingly there was a local elderly lady visiting on the day and when I asked about hops she said "You know they help you sleep, put some under your pillow and see".

That's why after a few brews I snore like a freight train. my wife will never fail to mention it to me the following morning.

I have emailed them to see if I can purchasefrom them. you never know unless you try' date=' soon find out[/quote']

let us know how you get on, Id be very interested to know their stand on this.

Yob

on sleep ther are many articles and it's not the first time Ive heard of it.. one day I'd like to try something like THIS though I never have trouble sleeping... I just rekon it'd be nice...

mmmmmm hops, the solution to all the words woes [love]

So with dry hopping, I'm gathering you can either throw the hops straight into the wort, or put them in a bag, stocking etc in the wort. What sort of difference would it make? Would you end up with hop material in your bottles by just chucking them straight into the wort?

Cheers,

Kelsey

I always put mine in a hop sock and add them add the start of fermentation, some wait until a few days in. I have tried hopping with pellets straightinto the wort and had hop matter in my tap and in my beer.

So with dry hopping, I'm gathering you can either throw the hops straight into the wort, or put them in a bag, stocking etc in the wort. What sort of difference would it make? Would you end up with hop material in your bottles by just chucking them straight into the wort?

Cheers,

Kelsey

You will anyway depending on how the brew was settled in the FV. The only difference I find is a PITA when thrown straight in with regards to the bottler clogging from time to time.

I have emailed them to see if I can purchasefrom them. you never know unless you try' date=' soon find out[/quote']

Yob

on sleep ther are many articles and it's not the first time Ive heard of it.. one day I'd like to try something like THIS though I never have trouble sleeping... I just rekon it'd be nice...

They dont sell, but they did refer me to someone who does sell 21 varieties but I have to get back to him in may / june. will give more details when i get more (no postage to WA sorry).

I asked for the varieties and cost, just waiting for reply

Heres a hop grower i intend to contact in winter for some hop rhizomes

Sandy prefers to be contacted by email:

Sandy Ross

Managing Director

Hopco Pty Ltd

PO Box 201

Lindisfarne 7015

Phone 03 6243 5960

Fax 03 6243 5397

Mobile 0403 005 248

Email: hopco@bigpond.net.au

lol he lives a couple of km from me.

There are lots all over. It may pay to shop around. Some people will even give them away [joyful]

A mate used to have a hop farm up in the King Valley here in Vic, alas its now a vineyard [annoyed]

Yob

They dont sell, but they did refer me to someone who does sell 21 varieties but I have to get back to him in may / june. will give more details when i get more (no postage to WA sorry).

I asked for the varieties and cost, just waiting for reply

does that mean that galaxy will be available through them? I dont give 2 rats tails for many others as I know I can collect "many varietys" what I want is Citra and Galaxy... Amarillo is also one that cant be obtained as far as I know.. [crying]

edit: I used to live in Tassie for a few years[bandit]

Archived