Coopers Community

New Years Day IPA

TonyW

Made up my Coopers IPA today and being New Years it my New Years Day I.P.A a bit if a twist to the Motueka slam

1 Coopers IPA kit

1kg LDME

250g DEX

25g Motukea Dry Hopped

Yeast Coopers IPA - Ac (26807 IPA) Pitched at 25C

OG 1.050 FG 1.012

good kit that one was one of my first brews when got back into it a few years ago. Although i used 1kg of both LDME and dextrose and also a 40 gram hop tea using POR was strong shit wouldnt use POR in it again though. Is this to be stored for winter drinking? im planning on starting my winter beers now so have plenty of age on them. Be interested to see how turns out.

I put 2 740ml bottles out of every batch away in a big old esky, currently the oldest is 5 months old. I then take all this beer on holidays with me in March so i am not trying t buy expensive beer in remote places

I am planning my winter beers now yes, beers with a bit of oomph to them. Will be back doing my Stouts Bocks and Strong Ales soon.

Sounds good taking some home brew on holiday. i cant wait for my winter brews only realy have 5 slabs of summer beer left ill get into that in a few weeks as summer gets a bit hotter.

then ill have more bottles to do other ideas. Not going to put another batch on until next sat might try another standard APA see if can get it right this time. i really need a brew fridge and room for one its currently a tub full of water i drop fermenter in and put frozen milk containers of water in to keep cool so its too hard on 40 degree days by next sat will be down to 33 here not as bad

I have myself a brew fridge set to 18C for Ales at the moment.

My original brew temp was 30C so i just left the FV in the fridge

and in 40mins it was 25C so i pitched the yeast, temp is currently

23C in the fridge and dropping. Outside temp is 31.3C, temp im my shed is with windows and doors open is 36C so without the fridge i would be cactus.

yeah i had an old one with seals shot i was going to use but had nowhere to put it. Stayed outside for a few stormy weeks and even though under cover rain came in from enough angle to drench it after a few weeks of that wsnt game to plug it in after sitting in puddles of water so went to tip.

now i just use the tub of water does the job just a lot of around missus hates doing it while im at work but she has to. [biggrin]

My mate has a fridge that doesnt work, so in summer he puts long life blocks of ice in there and in winter a heat pad, seems to do the trick but he still has to keep an eye on the temps and its still a bit of flooging around and can be inconsistant.

OG 1.050, at 7days gravity= 1.012, taste test and this tastes nice although a little bitter, but its green and flat, so its hard to be too critical of it.

I am going to be drinking a few different IPA's today (all for the sake of testing and research you know) and will see what different hop tastes/characters i can work out and then start a recipe from there.

I love IPA's and i want to make a cracker.

I am going to be drinking a few different IPA's today (all for the sake of testing and research you know) and will see what different hop tastes/characters i can work out and then start a recipe from there.

I love IPA's and i want to make a cracker.

Hey Tony.

Don't forget to try the oak chips![rightful]

Big Island IPA

They are going in my next Stout mate [bandit]

Tony,

My Big Island turned out famously.[biggrin] The oak chips make for a unique flavour that is quite appealing and adds a profile that is complex and also easy to achieve with this simple addition.

In fact, I just put down another BIIPA last weekend with the addition of 150g Crystal and some late amarillo hops. I'm looking forward to this one.[cool]

Tony,

My Big Island turned out famously.[biggrin] The oak chips make for a unique flavour that is quite appealing and adds a profile that is complex and also easy to achieve with this simple addition.

In fact, I just put down another BIIPA last weekend with the addition of 150g Crystal and some late amarillo hops. I'm looking forward to this one.[cool]

Sounds good Chad!! i might throw one down after i buy some chips for the stout and use the extra on your IPA. Wont be brewing anything but some kit and kilos for a while as i havent got time.

I'd be interested to hear from the experts - what are the major differences in characteristics between the IPA and the APA?

access is a big one for me, with the APA available at a big w 5 minutes from my house, with the IPA an hour return trip. but I've never had an IPA before, so I have no idea.

Obviously there are differences in the grain bill of them both. The APA has some wheat malt in it but I'm not sure about the IPA.

The biggest difference is the bitterness. The IPA is much, much more bitter.

And I think the IPA has some late hopping with Styrian Goldings whilst the APA only has bittering with POR.

IPA i find much more bitter and the hops scream at you, i love malt and hops in thick layers so the IPA suits me.

If i did this one again i would crank it up with some styrian and go with more grain than extracts.

sounds like the IPA should be added to my list.

Im finding that there isn't much to do while u wait for your beer to mature except keep brewing.

obviously u can't judge your tastes yet, but I guess as long as everything is clean and u can take care of your temps, it's all going to be drinkable.

sounds like the IPA should be added to my list.

Im finding that there isn't much to do while u wait for your beer to mature except keep brewing.

obviously u can't judge your tastes yet, but I guess as long as everything is clean and u can take care of your temps, it's all going to be drinkable.

I am a stouts and black beer drinker, cant be thick enough for me, but i am enjoying hopping up some Pale Ales and making tasty Cerveza's etc and am enjoying them over the summer more than my heavy stouts. Soon it will be autumn and the stouts will again be in the fridge, starting with this Chocolate Porter i just put down, looking at around 5%+

Archived