Coopers Community

coopers yeast types

hey was just wondering where could find the link to get me to the page on coopers yeast types cant seem to find it now had it last week.

my reasoning is because i tipped out a batch of australian pale ale standard recepie last month due to it smelling like eggs like a lager strain of yeast so i put this down to infection and tipped it all on the back lawn.

the reason i done this was because i had for the first and last time used bleach to clean my fv and not rinsed enough was my reasoning for thinking had infection. but thinking now if its a mix of lager and ale yeast it might just have been that. And without seeming like im taking off a movie here

HELP ME PB2 YOUR MY ONLY HOPE.

There was a post not...long,long ago.

The codes read as follows:

Int:lager/ale strain

P: lager strain

PS: lager strain(from the Thomas Coopers range, maybe not in use anymore)

W:wheat strain

IPA: India Pale Ale(not sure if this is still in use)

IS: Irish stout( again not sure if still in use)

Last but not least is the one with the numbers:ale strain..the most common.

thanks guys

yeah hairy i did kind of think i remembered seing it was a cross strain of yeast. it had the ale smell first 2 days then went to a really bad eggy lagery smell i did taste it on day 6 was verry eggy so tossed it didnt want waste time bottoling if was off and was worried bleach traces may have remained but i should have just used pet bottles to make it easier

Happy New Year Everyone.

Yeah the same thing happened to me with an APA which has the Ac/L yeast mix. The stink of egg was disturbing, but upon reading up, I got the impression it is to do with the lager yeast. John Palmer said the smell probably would not affect the beer greatly and he was right, it tastes fine. A few questions. Why does Cooper's Int yeast have lager yeast in it for an APA? Why not just an ale yeast? Does the Ac/L yeast mix vary, because the many times I have made APA before, it has never had the pongy egg smell. My method has always been the same, with strict hygiene, filtered water, stainless steel , electronic temperature control etc etc. The only thing I might have done differently was I might not have thoroughly heated the mix after I put the sugar in. When I poured it in the fermenter, there was still undissolved sugar. Is there a possibility of bacterial infection from some source? Possibly even the sugar or the yeast? Curious.

Cheers

When developing the Australian Pale Ale beer kit, we tried all dry yeast strains available to us at the time. We found the blend gave the closest to the commercial pale ale characters - of course the brew can be made even closer to the real thing by using our commercial ale yeast and we encourage this [cool]

The egg smell can be a symptom of yeast stress, perhaps it was a bit old?? This smell normally dissipates with time in the bottle.

cool thanks for that info i should have just bottled it i sanatised all the stubbies and everything then just didnt do it had to work that afternoon and had convinced myself it was off.

so preetty much it would have been drinkable if aged for 3 months similar like a lager to get rid of eggy taste and smell?

I'm drinking it a week after bottling and it's fine. Will improve with age though, I'm sure.

At the moment I've got an APA batch going with a 9mth old Ac yeast. It's going fine, and no egg smell.

Archived