Coopers Community

os draught

hello all jamies the name i have been trying to join this forum for ages damm thing only just let me. All i have been able to do for months was read trying to join had me at a blank page. Anyway i have been brewing coopers cans for 2 years now started up again last time was when i was 16 with my uncles left over when he stopped. Bill i see your from hobart tasmania my birthplace and residence until 7 years ago.

i am brewing original series draught at the moment pitched the yeast at 3pm friday just straight dextrose 1kg plus tin krousen has only just dropped in this morning its been warm up here and i have no aircon in beer room so i use a tub of cold water to keep it cool anyone else do this from what i have read most brew in fridges cheers jamie.

ok kids finally left me alone have to hurry stuff to do before arvo shift my next brew im planning on doing after new years but need to get bigger pot up to 15 litres want to add some crystal malt and LDME and make a hop tea of some sort or maby add straight to boil not sure yet last few batches i played with came out too hoppy

Hi Jamie, welcome to the forum.

I've made 4 batches now of the OS draught as follows, and its been a beautiful drop that everyone compliments.

OS Draught tin

1kg Light dry malt (I suppose you could use the 1.5 tin of liquid in it's place here)

250g Dextrose

12g Morgans Hallertau finishing hops (10 min steep in 1 cup boiling water, added to fermenter before yeast)

Kit yeast, or US-05

21L water

I brew in an old fridge, that doesn't work, but if the temperature is getting up, I bang in 4 ice cream containers with ice in them in there, and the insulation of the fridge helps keep things cool. I can't generally get to the 'ideal' temps, but am able to maintain around 20 degrees this way.

Also as a side note to PB2 or others, is there much diffence in the OS draught and the Traditional one?

If the taste of the Traditional is better, I'd like to give it a go!

Cheers, Mick.

hello all jamies the name i have been trying to join this forum for ages damm thing only just let me

There is a rigorous approval process for joining this forum. Obviously punctuation isn't one of the prerequisites. [biggrin]

Just kidding mate. Welcome to the Forum (finally)!

PS. I got myself a brewing fridge and haven't looked back.

yeah thanks guys just hoping it lets me in oftn enough to post what i want supprised the site is being nice to me after so long of black screens.

i use frozen milk and soft drink containers with water in them to controll my temp just pain as goins to work this arvo trying get a good temp to keep in similar whole time im at work usually if water is on about 18 degrees the fermenter will be on a steady 22 its nearing end of fermentation now so not as drastic as trying to maintain a good temp during early fermentation. well i hope it continues to let me post and i look forward to sharing info with you all.

ok kids finally left me alone have to hurry stuff to do before arvo shift my next brew im planning on doing after new years but need to get bigger pot up to 15 litres want to add some crystal malt and LDME and make a hop tea of some sort or maby add straight to boil not sure yet last few batches i played with came out too hoppy

You can get a cheap 19L SS pot from Big W for $19. Worth its weight in gold [biggrin]

Where in Hobart were you from?... where are you now?...

lived alot of places warrane dodges ferry old beach claremont lol now in corowa nsw nice small townjust got home from night shift havin a boages draught need get my home brew stockpile goin again

only comercial beer i drink regularly while gettin enough brew is boags cascade or coopers pale ale

and bill when was last time u say ss 19litre for so cheap been looking up here have not much on offer and if do prices are mad found a 15 litre on ebay for 45 cheapest seen yet but ill keep looking

The 19L SS pot is a standard item at Big W at that price country wide and has been for a long time now [biggrin]

just finished bottoling os draught nothin special just can and 1 kg dextrose but nice and yummy in a month or so with this good summer weather [biggrin]

planned for next brew some sort of malt extract ale to keep and age until winter something malty and hoppy and heavy feel about it details to come after holidays over and i can think. enjoy all merry xmas [roll]

Archived