Coopers Community

Alcohol content

though what nobody has said, surprisingly, is that too much dex, while it will increase the alc content can lead to some pretty stressed yeast and off flavours, a weak and insipid watery brew. Personally I have been happier since I reduced dex to max 300g per brew for kits/extract, and upping the malt, adding spec grans/hops to ballence and improve body...

In my opinion Dex is evil and should be used for bulk priming not in brewing. Others opinions will vary.

Yob

Others opinions will vary

Whilst I don't believe Dex is evil, I pretty much agree with Yob.

Dex in moderation is fine. Rather than just looking at the ABV% you should look at the whole recipe and try to get a balanced beer.

For example, you could try increasing the malt in the beer and increasing the hop bitterness to counter the residual sweetness of the malt.

What is the best way to increase the alcohol content of a fine brew?

Using dex may be the easiest way but not necessarily the best way.

If you want advice on a specific recipe than post it and I'm sure there are plenty o people on here (like me)willing to give their opinion; sorry I mean advice. [biggrin]

in my opinion, in the early stages of learning to brew great beer, there are more important things to focus on rather that alcahol content. Unless you have a grasp on ingredients and what they add to a brew you will struggle with flavour ballence.

That said I did the same thing and found that watery Diacetyl ridden beers were not to my liking

The first time I added hops to a beer I was blown away.

The first time I aded spec grains to a beer I was also blown away.

The first time I replaced BE's with all malt and grains and hops I was utterly blown away.

Im more involved nowdays in heading to All Grain and am Completely and Utterly Blown Away and love the process of making a beer from scratch. All the lessons I learned in the journey to get to that point are valuable.

Many find it difficult to re-create a "bottle'o" beer with a Kit version, though it isnt impossible it can take a fair bit of tweaking to do so.

Yob

in my opinion, in the early stages of learning to brew great beer, there are more important things to focus on rather that alcahol content. Unless you have a grasp on ingredients and what they add to a brew you will struggle with flavour ballence.

That said I did the same thing and found that watery Diacetyl ridden beers were not to my liking

The first time I added hops to a beer I was blown away.

The first time I aded spec grains to a beer I was also blown away.

The first time I replaced BE's with all malt and grains and hops I was utterly blown away.

Im more involved nowdays in heading to All Grain and am Completely and Utterly Blown Away and love the process of making a beer from scratch. All the lessons I learned in the journey to get to that point are valuable.

Many find it difficult to re-create a "bottle'o" beer with a Kit version, though it isnt impossible it can take a fair bit of tweaking to do so.

Yob

Sounds good mate that is why i am asking on here from people with experience good getting pointers from people I eventually want to make mine from scratch as that is the brewers dream i gather I am really fascinated by the whole process and am looking forward to making my own type of brew later in the year :)

maybe you can update your info and say where you are from, possibly you can join a brewday and see for yourself how it's done by a fellow home brewer.. and how stupidly easy it is... [whistling

Not that it cant be f*ck*ed up though!! lol

if you are Melbourne based Id happily have you round for a brewday

maybe you can update your info and say where you are from, possibly you can join a brewday and see for yourself how it's done by a fellow home brewer.. and how stupidly easy it is... [whistling

Not that it cant be f*ck*ed up though!! lol

if you are Melbourne based Id happily have you round for a brewday

Thanks mate I live in Warrnambool other side of vic thanks for the offer bud I watched many youtube video's and now I am becoming active on this forum starting to learn a few things :)

I really need to agree entirely with everything Yob has posted in this thread. Kits are good (can be great) but AG is prime and if you end up AG then you won't be looking back. Actually in all honesty, if you can get yourself a big arse pot (maybe 19L SS jobie from Big W for $19) then you can easily start on the cheap side. Nevertheless, I'd suggest getting the pot anyway. imo it is perfect size for hop boils and a good introduction to the AG stove top method. Only need a bag and some grain and Robert's your mother's brother [cool]

If you are

I really need to agree entirely with everything Yop has posted in this thread. Kits are good (can be great) but AG is prime and if you end up AG then you won't be looking back. Actually in all honesty' date=' if you can get yourself a big arse pot (maybe 19L SS jobie from Big W for $19) then you can easily start on the cheap side. Nevertheless, I'd suggest getting the pot anyway. imo it is perfect size for hop boils and a good introduction to the AG stove top method. Only need a bag and some grain and Robert's your mother's brother [cool']

If you are

Sounds good I will do a bit more research and if i have more questions I am glad this site is full of informative people to help me if i get stuck thanks guys for the advice much appreciated :)

Archived