Coopers Community

How do I get residual sweatness without malt or honey?

RoaldV

Hey guys

May be an odd question, but I was wondering how one might go about getting residual sweetness in a beer, without the use of malt (which obviously leaves a malty taste) or honey (beez neez is nice and all, but not for everday drinking).

Glucose is obviously just eaten up by the yeast without any trace of residual taste or sweatness.... so, how do I do it?

My aim is to develop a brew that is clean and crisp, but also slightly sweet (slightly - not overly).

Any ideas?

Apart from additives like Lactose or Artificial Sweeteners....

Balance of bitterness to residual sweetness may be something to consider. A brew with less bitterness gives the perception of being sweeter.

Personally mate, I think the OS draught is a much better base to start with.

I did a few brews of the OS lager, and couldn't get a decent taste out of it. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad, just average compared to the Draught.

I prefer doing all malt now, but my first few brews were as follows, and turned out vewry nice.

OS Draught

1kg Dextrose

250g Light Dry Malt

23 LTRS Water

12g Morgans Hallertau Finishing hops (5 min tea in 250ml boiling water, added to fermenter before pitching yeast)

Mates really liked that one, but now I do it with just a kilo of Light Dry Malt, but thats to my tastes.[rightful]

Archived