Coopers Community

warm climates, queensland australia

MatthewC18

Welcome to the Forum Matthew!

Here is a link to the FAQs regarding temp control.

FAQs - Temp Control

But the best way is to get yourself a fridge and hook up a temp controller. You can find cheap STC1000's on ebay.

With regards to brewing in warm climates it is more to do with the yeast than the kit.

The Coopers ale yeast is very hardy and will ferment at higher temps. But that doesn't mean it will be nice [rightful]

Generally, most ale yeasts are best brewed around 18-20 degrees and if you can't maintain temps at least around the very low 20's then I wouldn't bother.

Good luck with it.

G'day Matthew - Welcome [biggrin]

I agree with Hairy about using a brewing fridge with temp controls - It doesn't have to cost a lot of money but it will make brewing alot easier. Just set the temp and leave it. Even a broken fridge with frozen water bottles replace daily will help keep you fermentor at a reasonable temp.

As for recommending a Coopers kit for high temps I wouldn't suggest any of them be brewed over 20C...I'd look for ways to keep your temps down - Your beer will taste HEAPS better [biggrin]

Matthew, As a fellow brewer in warm climate (I Live in Ayr) i can offer 2 peices of advise.

1: Try and get a fridge (I'm having trouble convincing SWMBO)

2: Brew in the winter months so you can drink in the summer months. I bassically give up brewing between November and March

I agree with Squishy. I live in Brisvegas and tend to do a lot of brewin gin the winter months. Like squishy SWMBO is not in favour of a brewing fridge so if I brew in the warmer climates I do the following:

1. Place the FV in a pan with cool water.

2. Wrap a wet towel around the FV and allow the bottom of the towel to be in contact with the water in the pan (so it absorbs it during the day and doesn't dry out).

2. I place a frozen water bottle on top of the fv and 2 frozen water bottles in the water to keep the temp down.

3. I do this in the laundry and have the security door locked but the other door open to allow a breeze to pass over the wet towel (like an evaporative cooler). If you can't do this then a fan could be substitued...

Biggest thing is to keep the towel wet and regularly change the frozen bottles over. This seems to have worked for me so far. [biggrin]

I usually duct tape frozen ice blocks/frozen dry ice to the sides and cover with a wet towel which drops temperatures 2 or 3 degrees if required over a couple of hours. This does scratch the sides of the FV slightly, but that doesn't matter (for me at least). Keep the temps around 21 degrees Celsius or lower, depending on recipe. Try to avoid large fluctuations too. 1 or 2 degrees gradually is OK.

Archived