Coopers Community

First Brew

AdamS12

Hi i am new to the forum and to making home brew. I put down my first brew on Saturday. I have a couple of questions about bottling with the P.E.T. bottles.

How do i clean the bottles for first time use/bottling?

How do i clean/sanitise the bottles after first time use/bottling?

Thanks

Adam

Personally I prefer glass, I find them easier to clean.

Cheers,

Peter

I have to agree with the Peter here. There has been a lot of conversation about sanitisers recently, e.g. Rinse or no rinse argument where Starsan and Idophor get a real run. At the minute I am still using the non-recommended sodium metabisulphite (because I still have some on hand). I am also using only glass and as I prefer to rinse I am rinsing with hot water, I am confident that nothing will get past my regime. However using hot water is not recommended with PET bottles. If you are going to rely on PET for your bottle supply then I would do what most others do clean with napisan then sanitise with Starsan or Idophor. Brewers here tend to follow the instructions supplied with these products and have no problems. As I prefer to rinse I reckon I will go with un-scented bleach in the future, I may even give the Coopers product a go. There is plenty of advice here, just do a search and yo will find the answer to most of your questions.

You are in the right place to ensure you Brew well.

There is a huge difference between cleaning and sanatising. So need to get familiar with these terms so as not to confuse.

All my bottles are PET and I have only ever used PET bottles when/if bottling. To tell you the truth... I really can't remember the last time I cleaned them [pinched] yet I can boast to never have had an infection too.

Contrudictory to some but PET bottles can be washed in hot water. Not boiling water. I rinse mine from the hot water tap without any issues whatsoever.

1/ rinse bottle in hot water from the tap. You know the drill... half fill then lid on and shake, empty and rinse with hot water.

2/ leave caps on "very' lose until they cool then drain and tighten cap a little. Store away until ready to use.

3/ when ready to use, a quick wash/rinse in hot water and spray bottles and caps with Starsan.

4/ shake bottle upside down (just before using) to rid excess liquid and fill, carb drop and cap.

5/ as soon as they are empty I repeat step 1.

Now having said that, I keg. However, I still get about 5 or so bottles from each brew and have never had any problems. [cool]

Your cleaning routine should start as soon as you empty the bottle. It is easier to clean at that time rather than when the sludge has caked itself on the bottom of the bottle.

Once I pour the beer into a glass I will rinse the bottle immediately. Then fill with some water and "shake it like a polaroid picture". And then rinse again.

The "cleaning" process is then done.

Your cleaning routine should start as soon as you empty the bottle. It is easier to clean at that time rather than when the sludge has caked itself on the bottom of the bottle.

Once I pour the beer into a glass I will rinse the bottle immediately. Then fill with some water and "shake it like a polaroid picture". And then rinse again.

The "cleaning" process is then done.

Yep... see step 5 [innocent]

Sorry Bill.

But your post wasn't exciting enough; I started drifting off around point 3.

I think you need less of the useful information and more pop culture references in your posts [biggrin]

No probs... how's this?

1/ Wash, Rinse and Repeat by Kelly Clarkson

2/ Store Run by Trez Songs

3/ Spray Somethin' by Young Jeezy

4/ Shake, Rattle and Roll by Elvis Presley

5/ Back At One by Brian McKnight

[alien]

Adam, you can make one of these. If you don't have a pipe bender just use 3 1/2" elbows with the solder inside, clean the end of the pipe with steel wool stick them in the elbows and heat with a torch until the solder appears. Easy![love]

Connect it to the hot tap and you will have spotless bottles. Then spray some Isdophor in each bottle and Bob's your uncle.

washer.jpg

Archived