Coopers Community

California Lager (wyeast2112)

Canadian Eh!L

Hey Gang,

I have a Steam beer in the FV these days. I am looking to use this yeast a few times. I am planning to put down another Steam beer back to back (brewed on the trub). I like steam beer![love]

My question is: does any one have a good recipe to use this yeast for other than steam beer?

I have never used it. I also haven't tried a steam beer. That style isn't widely found here yet.

Mountain Goat do a Steam Ale but it isn't true to the style. It uses an ale yeast at lower temps rather than a lager yeast.

The Wyeast website lists some styles that are appropriate for that yeast. See attached link:

Wyeast 2112

Well If I have gone where no man has gone before I'll take up the pioneering role. I'll tell you what I've done so far.

Spillimacheen Steam Mk1

1.7Kg Real Ale

500g LDM

200g Crystal Malt (cracked & steeped 30mins)

25g Northern Brewer's (20mins)

20g Cascade (5mins)

128g Wyeast 2112 Pitched@ 23C

filled to 18L Water

Brewed @22C

OG 1.045

Spillimacheen Steam Mk2

1.7 Real Ale

1.0 Kg Ldm

100g Crystal Malt (1min)

25g N. Brewer's (20mins)

fill to 22L water

Wyeast 2112 (brewed on the trub) Pitched@23C

OG 1.045

I've put these two brews down back to back as a direct comparison.

This style of beer is brewed with a lager yeast (wyeast2112) brewed @ an ale yeast temperature (18-20ish) giving fruity flavours and a crisp, clean beer. The N. Brewer's hops with it's woody/rustic/minty quality combined with toasty malt (not roasted) give this beer it's unique style.

This style of beer is truly following Anchor Steam's lead. It is a very good beer. I say if you can't find a bottle of Anchor Steam on the shelf at the Beer Store than make one (or two[joyful] )yourself[cool] .

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Gang,

I just tried a 1st sampling of my Steam MkI prototype...

It is friggin' awesome.[w00t] It's only been in the bottle for a couple of weeks but this brew is really a front runner for the best beer of the year award (Log Cabin Brewery only).

It's crisp and clear with a nice malt/hops balance.[love]

This is my 1st brew using a liquid yeast and it is showing a real big step in the pursuit of the "Best Beer in the World"[smile]

this brew is really a front runner for the best beer of the year award

Do you have any other tastings coming up? There are only a few weeks of the year left so you may already have a winner.

Good work with your beer and enjoy your awards ceremony. Make sure you keep your speech short and don't forget to thank all the contributors to the Coopers Forum.

[biggrin] Thank you, thank you.... Thank you very much!

That's all I got so far for the acceptance speach.

I do have a few coming up for tasting before the new year so there is still time for an upset. I still have the Spilli Steam Mark II, Willamette Wheat Ale, Golden Amber Ale Mk II and a Porter (nameless so far) recipe that I put down today that should be ready for tasting before the NY. I also have some thought about an Oatmeal stout rolling around in my head but can't be sure if it'll be ready for taste test before the annual competion.

That's all I got so far for the acceptance speach

Well, at least it is short.

But you can do much better than that. Keep working on it and post a complete transcript on here on New Years Day after you have awarded the "Gold Loggie".

And the Gold Loggie goes to ..........

Archived