Coopers Community

Coffee Grinder For Grains

TonyW

Saw a Sunbeam EMO415 Coffee grinder on special today and couldnt resist the temptation of being able to dial in the way i would like my coffee beans ground using a selector on the side of the unit. Ok now the wifes out of the way [roll] I am using more and more grain and i use it in a hop bag and am leaning toward BIAB method so i thought to myself this would be a great unit on the course setting for doing my grains [innocent]

Now i better go out and buy a kilo of Vittorio beans just to cover my tracks [ninja]

hrrrmmm it sounds like your headed down the road of no return.

I'm there now and finding it hard to turn back..... a slippery slope from here mate [joyful]

About to do an all grain with my neighbour, hes got himself all kitted up now using old 18gallon kegs and has asked me to help with the 1st one, we will need the grain properly milled for this one but BIAB it doesnt matter as much. I think from there its all downhill, but its definatly going to be BIAB for me as i slowly gather parts. Also i think i will go the Crown or Birko method. [biggrin]

... coffee grinders [annoyed] A decent mill is the way to go, grinders, for my liking anyway, create alot more "flour" and can, some argue, lead to astringency issues from fine ground up husk making it through, the small amounts of grain I was dealing with at the time as 'bit' additions probably helped but I found it hard to pass water through it to sparge, depending on your method this may or may not be an issue, but is definatly worth keeping in mind. You dont want a stuck mash.

2nd attempt at a 3V AG Pale Ale happening today, strike water sitting on 72'c[love]

Hey Tony,

I an under the impression that grains should be cracked not ground. Do you not think the coffee grinder might just chop it up rather than crack it?

Theres a bloke been using one for years and his beer always turns out spot on, hes a BIAB er as well. Mine has 19 settings from fine to very course, if i was doing all grain i would mill it but i dont need to with this setup.

... coffee grinders [annoyed] A decent mill is the way to go, grinders, for my liking anyway, create alot more "flour" and can, some argue, lead to astringency issues from fine ground up husk making it through, the small amounts of grain I was dealing with at the time as 'bit' additions probably helped but I found it hard to pass water through it to sparge, depending on your method this may or may not be an issue, but is definatly worth keeping in mind. You dont want a stuck mash.

2nd attempt at a 3V AG Pale Ale happening today, strike water sitting on 72'c[love]

Researched it pretty thoroughly and this works for BIAB and if i am not happy with it for grain? well i love coffee [love]

How do you get a stuck mash in BIAB?

As far as the researching I have done, although a really fine mill is not best (or a grinder/blender), I don't think it leads to a great difference in BIAB. However, this is only my assumption and I have only done 1 BIAB and I use a mill.

I am hoping to do my 2nd today but I just need to get SWMBO in a decent mood for the kids, which is going to be hard considering the way she is going atm [pouty]

Just been over to the BIAB forum and plenty of blokes are or have been using them with no problems at all. Just spoke to the guy i know and he says his cheap coffee grinder only mills fine but he does it in quick bursts and has never had a problem. Also he said takes him less than 20minutes to do all his grain for the brews. Will be doing alot more ground work before i get to try it.

Nothing ventured nothing gained [pinched]

Bill i hide in the shed when the wifes got the sads, she never goes out there [biggrin]

many considerations are required for the right system I guess and methods that suit one are not necessarily suited to others, Im only very new to AG brewing myself but one of the things I enjoy the most is the filtering process, pouring a 2lt cloudy jug back through the grains (x 10 times or so) gently was amazing to see the clarity change..

32732632.jpg

84753939.th.jpg

Bill i hide in the shed when the wifes got the sads' date=' she never goes out there [biggrin']

Yeah but that don't help me [crying] She then gets worse because I have left her with the kids.... can't win.

Nevertheless, I managed to get the BIAB done and it's now in the cube [joyful]

many considerations are required for the right system I guess and methods that suit one are not necessarily suited to others, Im only very new to AG brewing myself but one of the things I enjoy the most is the filtering process, pouring a 2lt cloudy jug back through the grains (x 10 times or so) gently was amazing to see the clarity change..

32732632.jpg

Looks like a nice setup Yob [cool]

we seem to be running in sequence here Bill... 2 all [cool] did you hit your targets? [annoyed] [biggrin]

Yes I sort of hit all expected targets (if I can say that) I ended up about 1L less and got a couple of points higher gravity. I don't know how that happened but I'm happy with it [joyful]

Hope everything went to plan on your side of the fence and if you see some turkey you don't know in your yard you could always cover the $%^# with boiling wort!!... at the same time. I would say that would be hitting your target [cool]

Yeah Hairy I could have but I didn't bother.

Yes I no-chill. I don't have a chiller and have about 12 cubes from FWK a mate does so it is cheaper and easier for me to do this, also it seems I am doing them a week or so before I need them anyway. [cool]

lol yeah I always need them last week too. However, up until now I have only had 1 small fermenting fridge. I juts got a bigger fridge last weekend and another temp controller on order. Won't be long and I should be able to ferment multiples [joyful]

Saw a Sunbeam EMO415 Coffee grinder on special today and couldnt resist the temptation of being able to dial in the way i would like my coffee beans ground using a selector on the side of the unit. Ok now the wifes out of the way [roll] I am using more and more grain and i use it in a hop bag and am leaning toward BIAB method so i thought to myself this would be a great unit on the course setting for doing my grains [innocent]

Now i better go out and buy a kilo of Vittorio beans just to cover my tracks [ninja]

Tony do you buy your grain in bulk or do you have problems getting it crushed by your supplier?

I was reading one thread suggesting finer grind resulted in higher efficiency with BIAB. Another thread suggested that a finer grind resulted in more chill haze. Probably both bs.

I love BIAB. Previously had been doing mashing and sparging in separate pots but just got my new 36L s/s stockpot and will do my first 23L brew all in one pot this week.

Picked up 2 x 3M coils of 12.7mm copper from Bunnings for $15 each yesterday and have almost finished putting together my wort chiller. I think 25 litres may be too tedious to cool using an ice bath.

Tony do you buy your grain in bulk or do you have problems getting it crushed by your supplier?

I was reading one thread suggesting finer grind resulted in higher efficiency with BIAB. Another thread suggested that a finer grind resulted in more chill haze. Probably both bs.

I love BIAB. Previously had been doing mashing and sparging in separate pots but just got my new 36L s/s stockpot and will do my first 23L brew all in one pot this week.

Picked up 2 x 3M coils of 12.7mm copper from Bunnings for $15 each yesterday and have almost finished putting together my wort chiller. I think 25 litres may be too tedious to cool using an ice bath.

I could get all my grains crushed and there's no problem for me to do that but then i wouldnt be able to experiment with the coffee grinder idea [biggrin]

I will work out a few brews in advance and give it a go, just doing some partials. I figured that if i want to get a better mill i will do so if and when i progress, i see too many people with tonnes of wasted expensive brewing equipment thats not being used, they thought they needed it at the time only to realise like one guy i know that hes staying with mainly extracts and some kits so hes going to do some wallet damage getting rid of the equipment to his mate.

No need to rush and i am surrounded by HBS who all stock bulk grain, my last Belgian Bleau i only need to mill 100g black grain so i crushed in with rolling pin, if i had of used the grinder it would have taken about 2 seconds.

I build guitars, i have been told you cant do this and that and i go right ahead and do them, only to find they work and work well.

No expectations other than i know it will mill the grain for me, how well? i guess i am about to find out. [biggrin]

I have an EM 480 (bonus with my new Cafe Series Coffee Machine) and it grinds my coffee pretty damn fine even on the course setting. You may end up with course flour.

Ready to do a full 23L BIAB (another batch of Centennial Blonde)as just put finishing touch to my new DIY wort chiller.

Love this top quality 36L s/s stockpot ($89 on eBay).

newstockpotanddiycooler.jpg

I have an EM 480 (bonus with my new Cafe Series Coffee Machine) and it grinds my coffee pretty damn fine even on the course setting. You may end up with course flour.

Ready to do a full 23L BIAB (another batch of Centennial Blonde)as just put finishing touch to my new DIY wort chiller.

Love this top quality 36L s/s stockpot ($89 on eBay).

newstockpotanddiycooler.jpg

I may end up with a serviceable although not ideal grinder too, then maybe not. Am going to do a stout with it 1st because it will have some coffee grind through it that should work in well taste wise with the stout [roll] I am only going to be doing some small batches. The key is apparently to use the very-fine straining bags (which i have) so almost no particulate matter enters the wort during boiling. For partials i think it will be fine, not going so much for efficiency, more so for taste, if not i still have my coffee to make up so i dont loose anything.

Still finding alot of people using them on different forums with no problems, so when i do my experiment i will put my tests on YouTube. Unless i have actually done something for myself then i feel i cant really comment on it.

That Stockpot looks the go for doing 23litre batches, i saw something similar in a shop for $149 [crying]. Well done on the wort chiller too [cool]

Archived