Coopers Community

Coffee Grinder For Grains

TonyW

That Stockpot looks the go for doing 23litre batches, i saw something similar in a shop for $149 [crying].

Here is the link to the stockpot. An excellent company to deal with and postage is cheap and first class. It is a really heavy high quality pot and ready for induction if you have it. I test boiled 30L in it and it is the bees knees. If you need a stock pot this is the place to go and they have lots of sizes.

Keep us informed on the coffee grounder performance. My first EM480 had the common problem with this model of needing a washer fitted to enable finer grinding. Sunbeam wanted to send out the washer and instruction for me to fit it. I refused to do it myself to a brand new item and insisted on Harvey Norman replacing it which they did. It is a great unit.

I made it yesterday. I was doing a little plumbing job and picked up 2 rolls (3m each) of the cheap chinese 12.7mm copper tube from bunnings. Had quite a lot of old 12.7mm copper and fittings laying around in the shed so decided to make it up for the 36L pot. Cleaned up all the old tube I had and used them for the straight bits. I made it so it is 23cm in height from top to bottom of the coils. My pot is 1cm depth per litre. I figure I will never want to cool more than around 24.5L of wort so made it only that height. Have only pressure tested so far and do not know how effective it will be. I expect it will get the wort down to 21\xb0C in about 15mins. I have an old immersible pool pump that I may consider also using as well as mains water. That way I can recycle water from an esky full of ice water which should drop the temp very quickly. I will report how quick it gets 24.5L down to pitching temp.

If you had no fittings on hand and had to buy them it would cost about $50 to make as you see it. The 3m coils are $15 each at Bunnies.

• 2 weeks later...

Did an AG today and tried out my Immersion Cooler.

Got wort down to 35\xb0C in 10 mins but then took another 20mins to get it down to pitching temperature. Used the initial hot runnings in the washing machine and then attached long washing machine drain hose extension and watered the lawn.

Next time I will experiment using my old immersion pool pump and chuck some ice in the water in the esky once the temp hits 35\xb0C.

Very happy with it.

icinaction.jpg

Archived