Coopers Community

American Wheat Ale

Canadian Eh!L

Hey Gang,

I'm looking to put down a brew using a healthy amount of wheat malt (grains). I've only used wheat grains once before and that was in a brew I put down last week.[roll] This is what I was thinking.

1.7Kg OS Draught

500g LDM

500g Wheat Malt(cracked & steeped 30mins)

250g Crystal Malt(cracked & steeped 30mins)

21L water

20g Willamette (20mins)

20g Cascade (5mins)

20g Willamette (dry hopped)

US-05 (brewed on the trub)

I'm wondering what I might expect from using this amount of Wheat malt.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Well... I don't really know the difference between mashing and steeping. For this brew I brought 4L water to a boil then took it off the heat and added my cracked grains. After 30mins I sparged will 3L cool water. I then brought the "liquor" back up to a 20min boil for my hops adds.

Is this mashing or steeping?[sideways]

That is steeping.

Mashing is essentially the same as steeping although it is usually over a longer time period (say 60 min) and at a constant temp (say somewhere between 65-68 degrees).

The only reason I asked is that if a grain needs to be mashed, then steeping at high temps may not extract the sugar.

I'm not an expert at mashing so perhaps someone else can help.

Here is a link which may explain it a little better:

Mashing vs Steeping

Well it looks like I buggered that one up![annoyed]

Thanks for the read, Hairy. From what I can gather from your link and what I came up with on my own is wheat malt should be mashed. I really was looking to get some sugars from the wheat malt othwise I think my wort's OG will be too low (I didn't take a OG because I brewed on the trub).[pinched]

I really wasn't thinking I guess. I just went ahead and did the same procedure with the wheat malt as I do with crystal malt.

Maybe I should do something crazy to save this one like dissolve another 500g LDM in 2L of water and add it to the brew.[unsure]

but experimenting sounds the way to go.

Depending how long you steeped the wheat for and at what temp to how much sugars you will get from it. Although I am assuming you may have just cracked the grain. Nevertheless, you would still get some benefit.

As far as I understand a lot of the extraction comes during the early stages of a mash so you will get some sugars in there.

Don't be too worried. You've handled the crystal in the correct manner. The Wheat Malt, steeped at temps above 70C will add dextrins (body) to the brew - it should be okay, but maybe a little cloudy - nothing wrong with that.

what I understand is that Wheat malt (grains)is that it has no enzyme activity of it's own and needs to be mashed with grains with enzyme activity (high is reccomended) at about 20% max of the grain bill, this not done I cant say if any/some/??? of the starches will be converted...

affect? Let us know!! lol

so I guess if you wanted to retry... what I would do is a mini mash... get a Kg of Pale malt and 200g-250-g wheat malt and have a crack at a propper partial... sounds like you are almost there already... its just a longer boil to reduce the DMS blah blah protiens etc.. and you are there!!

what I understand is that Wheat malt (grains)is that it has no enzyme activity of it's own and needs to be mashed with grains with enzyme activity (high is reccomended) at about 20% max of the grain bill' date=' this not done I cant say if any/some/??? of the starches will be converted...[/quote']

You might be thinking of unmalted wheat??

Malted Wheat has similar diastatic power (enzyme activity) as Malted Barley. [biggrin]

to a point..

" Compared to barley malt it has a slightly higher extract, especially if the malt is milled somewhat finer than barely malt. European wheat malts are usually lower in enzymes than American malts, probably because of the malting techniques or the varieties of wheat used. "

yes and no... kinda depends on quite a few factors... though you dany always believe what you read [bandit] but sometimes look for the middle ground...

further reading here on wheat malt and environment

• 1 month later...

Hey Gang,

I just had a couple samples of the "Willamette Wheat Ale". This brew was an experiment remember? I had not made a brew using wheat malt grains before, nor had I used Willamette hops in a brew. So, it was hard to know what to expect.

First impressions were a very nice head and a distinctive cloudiness of a wheat beer[cool] . The taste test proved to be... Well, Zesty! I find the Willamette to be over the top in the first taste be then the second and third I was begining to appreiciate the flavour. I think it shows promise but need some time in the bottle.

This does not seem like a mid-strength at all. It has plenty of body and hops character.

Archived