Coopers Community

Can you Dry hop the Australian pale Ale already brewing?

Freestyler

Hi guys,

I bought and brewed up the APA, unfortunately it doesn't say on the tin that you should add hops (there are no HB shops here so there is no assitance when buying). I brewed it up with BE2 and an additional 130g of LDM. I've since seen online that most of the people who have brewed it have added hops to the wert.

Is it too late to get some hops to dryhop with? I only brewed this morning so can still get a good 4 or 5 days worth of dry hopping if it will help, and if so what hops would you guys recommend? Batch number 3 going, cant wait to get to 10 and have a selction of beers to sample at any point in time!

Thanks for any advice guys!

Hey Freestyler,

You have plenty of time.[cool] I don't dry hop until about day four or five or after the krausen settles back. Use some cheese cloth to make a bag for your hops or just chuck 'em in loose. The rule of thumb is to dry hop approx. 1g/L. This is notgospel though. Sky is the limit for the amount![biggrin]

I have never made the APA before so iI can't say what is best for that kit but i cant say that cascade is my personal favorite.

Like Chad says you still have plenty of time for dry hopping. It sounds like you may be rushing your beers into the bottle though. It is best to leave them in the fermentor for 2 weeks rather than bottling as soon as fermentation is complete - your beer will taste much better for the extra time in the FV.

+1 to above.

I always dry hop my Coopers Pale Ales. If you can lay your hands on it, Galaxy and Citra are my favorites, a touch of amarillo never hurts either,

It's never too late to dry hop

In fact I have one fermenting now that used Halletau/Citra (15g/5g) @ 20 min and then Galaxy/Citra (10g/10g) Dry hop... Cant wait for it.. I think Im onto the holy grail[biggrin] and hoping it comes out a bit like a Steam Ale.. mmmmmm [love]

by the time you get to 10 brews you will have drunk 5 of them!! [lol] or maybe that's just me..

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help.

@ Muddy, yep I think I may have bottled my first batch a bit early, made it to 7 days and couldnt wait any longer.

Second batch was 12 days and this batch will try wait it out until 12+ days as well.

I cant find Galaxy hops Yob but I can get Cascade and Amarillo, so I might add 20gms of Cascade for about 4 or 5 days.

Haha, my first batch (lager with kit) is half gone before three weeks, patience and beer dont get along well in my book! But hopefully will keep 6 of each one aside to see if they can make 3-6 months of a selection. Not making promises though[biggrin]

I have found that some people online use a stocking, boil it to get rid of the colouring and to sanitise and then use that to dryhop, with a few marbles to keep it submerged. Is this ok?

Thanks again,

+1 for the Fruit Salad Ale.

I made this beer as my first foray into hops and not only was it easy, it was a very nice drop.

I have since made it a couple of more times using some crystal malt grains. It's a good one to learn from and experiment with.

Lads,

WRT the holding period post primary, which i understand will help things settle down before bottling. Does having three or four bundles of hops floating around cause hassles with when it comes to bottling?

I am thinking before getting started with bottling later this week, i should open her up and remove the hops knowing that they will eventually drop into the trub and stir things up?

and fark it...on second thoughts...i forgot to put in the sediment reducer. Cloudy Yak anyone

TD

I have found that some people online use a stocking, boil it to get rid of the colouring and to sanitise and then use that to dryhop, with a few marbles to keep it submerged. Is this ok?

Thanks again,

If you are going to use marbles then I'd boil them with your stockings and give them a quick spray with Starsan before using.

However, rather than using stockings, it is a lot cheaper and easier to buy a pack of chux cloths. Just take one out of the bag and tie the ends together and use as is. No need to sterilize and put the rest into a plastic ziplock bag for next time. Alternatively, you could buy some Swiss Voile, muslin cloth, cheese cloth etc and use any of these. I'd suggest going the Chux way rather than stockings though. No real need for marbles either. [cool]

i forgot to put in the sediment reducer. Cloudy Yak anyone

Tim, I gave up on using the sediment reducer a long time ago and it didn't effect my beer one little bit. It is just another unnecessary part that you willl have to clean & sanitise.

i forgot to put in the sediment reducer. Cloudy Yak anyone

Tim, I gave up on using the sediment reducer a long time ago and it didn't effect my beer one little bit. It is just another unnecessary part that you willl have to clean & sanitise.

Agreed, I can't even remember the last time I used one. Just a waste of money, time and effort having it imo. Hrrmmm sounds similar to the airlock eh [bandit]

Also got some citra the other day. My LHBS guy recomeded it so we will see.

they go very well together... Ive put in a few of these and they are delicious... one that I have going ATM is a Halletau (20 min), Galaxy and Citra Dry Hopped APA and cant wait for it[w00t]

Yob

Archived