Coopers Community

First recipe with wheat malt suggestions

ozale

Thinking of putting this one down next and looking for hops or any other suggestions.

1 x Coopers draught kit

1.5kg wheat malt

300g dextrose

20g cascade hops ?

as the subject line says it's my first use of wheat malt so looking for any suggestions, guidance etc.

You might think about trying out a Belgian or German strain of ale yeast if you really want to experiment. I have had the best results so far with WyEast 1214, but I imagine you'd have good luck with any of them. I have a Coopers IPA kit in primary that I fermented with Safbrew S-33 at 73F that I cannot wait to try--this yeast would do well in an American-style wheat (less banana and clove than German). You could also consider T-58 (rumored to be Chimay strain like the 1214) and WB-06 for dry yeasts that would make interesting wheats.

Outside of maybe hops, nothing really affects your beer like strain of yeast and the temperature that you ferment at--go nuts!

damn lats alot of wheat malt, Im a big fan of using some in just about every Pale Ale I do, but only about 200g to help with a really nice lacing head,

I cant help with what to pimp the Coopers Draught with though, ive never made one..

did I say DAMN thats alot of wheat malt!!

what were you trying to get out of it? if it's just a "hay I wonder what..." then have at it, but its generally a good idea to have a direction, but who knows you may find the holy grail!!

[biggrin]

Thanks all for the replies, as I have just found Hairy's recipe using wheat malt with an APA kit I thought I might give that a go, so Joel the answer to the yeast question is US-05 and Galaxy for the hops which I will need to order.

Hairy's Recipe as follows;

1.7kg can Coopers Aust Pale Ale

1.5kg can Wheat Malt Extract

300g Dextrose

15g Galaxy @ 10 min

25g Galaxy dry hop

US-05 yeast

any comments?

Have just put the draught into the FV with 750g LLME and 300g Dextrose with kit yeast to 22L

The dry hopping was done around day 3 or 4 (or more likely 5). It was after the vigorous fermentation had ceased and the krausen started to go down.

Although I find with US-05 the krausen hangs around for a bit.

Just to clarify a liitle more; it isn't the big thick krausen that hangs around but a thin crusty layer.

It looks like a cat has vomitted in your brew. Unlike VB where it seems that cats have pissed in it.

But by giving it the extra week in the fermenter it all drops out.

So in a roundabout way I'm saying to dry hop it on day 3 or 4. Actually my post had nothing to do with dry hopping [innocent] From now on you would be better just ignoring most of the content of my posts and just reading the conclusion.

Just to clarify a liitle more; it isn't the big thick krausen that hangs around but a thin crusty layer.

It looks like a cat has vomitted in your brew. Unlike VB where it seems that cats have pissed in it.

But by giving it the extra week in the fermenter it all drops out.

So in a roundabout way I'm saying to dry hop it on day 3 or 4. Actually my post had nothing to do with dry hopping [innocent] From now on you would be better just ignoring most of the content of my posts and just reading the conclusion.

A bit early to be drinking isn't Hairy???.. or is it you haven't finished from last night yet?

LOL.. that post is just another dimension using words and sentences [lol]

Archived