Coopers Community

First real taste

RoaldV

Thanks Bill, I have had the Pale Ale stubbies before at my son's place but can't remember if they were twist tops or not. Do you know? The Cooper's 750ml bottles are a very solid unit and look great for refilling. When I was bottling the Cascade (VB) long necks yesterday I was worried that even a slight knock against each other would crack them open. The Crown seals go on the Screw Tops Ok but you need to be more careful and therefore I seem to find they are a bit slower to cap.

As far as the yeast goes as I am green I am still using it from the pack. After laying down my Draught yesterday at around 3pm I went to bed myself. When I left for work at 7pm there was no activity in the fermenter at all. Much releived when I awoke this afternoon to see a very healthy krausen. I imagine a recultured yeast gets things happening quicker. What are the benefits?

The stubbies are twist tops. Coopers long necks are designed for the home brewer and are less likely to break than any/most others.

Don't worry a great deal about your kausen forming unless you have no reaction for around 3 days. Sometimes it will take this long before you see anything but fermentation has actually started a lot earlier. By the use of a Hydrometer is really the only acurate way to check if fermentation has started.

RRe-culturing Yeast just enables you to reuse the yeast that has already been used. Coopers Sparkling and Pale Ales are known for their ability to provide you with the exact same yeast these beers use. Therefore, you are able to get closer to the taste than using another.

....... RRe-culturing Yeast just enables you to reuse the yeast that has already been used. Coopers Sparkling and Pale Ales are known for their ability to provide you with the exact same yeast these beers use. Therefore, you are able to get closer to the taste than using another.

Now that sounds like fun. I am glad I found this forum (I think). Hop boils, reactivating yeast and storing an ESVA are all appealing to me. Just need to decide when to change from the straight kit, I was thinking 6 standard batches before changing it up. [unsure]

9 days is a bit soon to be bottling. At this point,I don't even take a hydrometer sample for a 1st FG reading till 2 weeks. It can take longer for a beer to finish up & get a stable FG reading over 3 days or so.

Once you get a stable reading,give it 3-5 days to clean up by products & settle out more. You'll bottle a clearer beer that way,& still have plenty of yeasties left to condition them.

I started bulk priming & have gotten better,quicker results than the carb drops,which aren't bad.

Anyway,the time I give them to "clean up & settle out more" makes the beer better tasting at bottling,leaving less off flavors for aging to clean up. Better ales will result from a good process & patience.

....... RRe-culturing Yeast just enables you to reuse the yeast that has already been used. Coopers Sparkling and Pale Ales are known for their ability to provide you with the exact same yeast these beers use. Therefore, you are able to get closer to the taste than using another.

Now that sounds like fun. I am glad I found this forum (I think). Hop boils, reactivating yeast and storing an ESVA are all appealing to me. Just need to decide when to change from the straight kit, I was thinking 6 standard batches before changing it up. [unsure]

Which suburb are you in?... just curious is all, you might be just around the corner [ninja]

What do you mean by 6 standard batches before changing it up?

9 days is a bit soon to be bottling. At this point,I don't even take a hydrometer sample for a 1st FG reading till 2 weeks. It can take longer for a beer to finish up & get a stable FG reading over 3 days or so.

Once you get a stable reading,give it 3-5 days to clean up by products & settle out more. You'll bottle a clearer beer that way,& still have plenty of yeasties left to condition them.

I started bulk priming & have gotten better,quicker results than the carb drops,which aren't bad.

Anyway,the time I give them to "clean up & settle out more" makes the beer better tasting at bottling,leaving less off flavors for aging to clean up. Better ales will result from a good process & patience.

+1

However, due to my time frame to turn over kegs, unfortunately this is too long for me. I usually have Ales in the keg in about 8-10 days. Nevertheless, what you are saying is correct and even longer for lagers.

Which suburb are you in?... just curious is all' date=' you might be just around the corner [ninja']

What do you mean by 6 standard batches before changing it up?

I am currently up in the Derwent Valley at New Norfolk. standard to me means making the brew with ready to use ingredients that require no input from me other than mixing and pitching. To change it up means to add hops that I have boiled and yeast that I have cultivated. I believe that when I change it up there will be more margin for error.

Anyway I have decided to do the Heritage Lager with 1.5kg of light malt extract next and follow that up with the Ashes Ale.

I believe that when I change it up there will be more margin for error.

Yes you are correct, there will be more room for error. However, this is only very small thing to worry about. I think when you do you will be surprised how easy it really is. Some people feel daunted by this when there really is no need.

It sounds like you are coming along pretty good and I am no doubt when you do start experimenting things will turn out just fine.

Very interesting thread to follow.

Good to know that there are other new guys out there as well who are concerned about buggering up their brews by trying to get too fancy too soon.[biggrin]

Ive just got my 3rd batch on the go and am going to try dry hopping. Seems to be the easiest and most foolproof way to begin experimenting.

Keep posting questions guys, Im lesrning a lot from reading your threads![happy]

What a hobby though! Awesome

As per usual, Bill is right. Trying different things like grains and hops can be a little daunting at first. But once you do it you will realise how easy it is.

You will have to try very hard to stuff it up. [wink]

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to drag up an old post

The taste is probably partly due to the high pitching temp (30 degrees), but I think it's also the brew enhancer. There is a funny taste at the end/after each mouthful that certainly isn't too pleasant.

Anyway, lessons learned, and onto the Coopers Pale Ale! (After I drink 15 of these bad boys that is...)

Then

...... but my Lager is starting to taste pretty good, and it's going down fast

Roald you should consider collecting bottles. I have been making small samplings of my Lager (exact same recipe as yours). At one month it still had that unpleasant after taste. However last night I sampled another two 640ml bottles, this is six weeks in the bottle with two of these stored in my beer fridge (still upright). The verdict:

Excellent - This beer is as good as many commercial beers I have tasted and even better than some. I am glad that I have built some stocks and I still have 23 bottles of Lager left. I may even consider brewing this Lager again with LDM (something I certainly would not have considered 2 weeks ago).

Sure it's been a little expensive collecting bottles, I probably purchased a couple of extra cartons over the past two months, but I will soon be enjoying the rewards.

Sorry to drag up an old post

The taste is probably partly due to the high pitching temp (30 degrees), but I think it's also the brew enhancer. There is a funny taste at the end/after each mouthful that certainly isn't too pleasant.

Anyway, lessons learned, and onto the Coopers Pale Ale! (After I drink 15 of these bad boys that is...)

Then

...... but my Lager is starting to taste pretty good, and it's going down fast

Roald you should consider collecting bottles. I have been making small samplings of my Lager (exact same recipe as yours). At one month it still had that unpleasant after taste. However last night I sampled another two 640ml bottles, this is six weeks in the bottle with two of these stored in my beer fridge (still upright). The verdict:

Excellent - This beer is as good as many commercial beers I have tasted and even better than some. I am glad that I have built some stocks and I still have 23 bottles of Lager left. I may even consider brewing this Lager again with LDM (something I certainly would not have considered 2 weeks ago).

Sure it's been a little expensive collecting bottles, I probably purchased a couple of extra cartons over the past two months, but I will soon be enjoying the rewards.

I have noticed a BIG difference in my lager over the last 2 weeks even. Gave the beer to a mate the other day, and for the first time he said "actually, that's not bad. Got any more?" With tears of joy streaming down my face, I happily gave him another [lol]

I agree I need more bottles... but baby steps are needed. I have 60 bottles currently, and I reckon I need around 120+.

Ive found that myslef and SWMBO are enjoying my home brew to the point that I deteast having to pay for a commercial beer that I feel doesnt taste as good.[biggrin]

120+ bottles........ I think Ive got close to 350 in rotation, Thats 243 currently aging and another 100 odd that are waiting to be filled (Trying to convince the wife that I need to start kegging hasnt worked so far)[roll]

lol kegging is just as bad. I keg and currently have 11 kegs and it's still not enough [pinched]

Formula for enough is what you have + 1

I think Weggl has well over 700 bottles the last I heard [ninja]

I have turned into a "Beer Snob" since the start of home brewing. lol I even drink some beers almost like a wine but without the spitting part. [alien]

Archived